Notices

TurboLScrx - Making my return to the fold

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts
Default Re: TurboLScrx - Making my return to the fold

Originally Posted by turboLScrx

‘feels like boost cut, I’ve not been above 4-5 psi yet, it pretty much shuts things down. I’ve not changed anything in my program from when I pulled the motor, I know I’ll need to to retune the car, but I wouldn’t think things would be that far off to cause something like this
How's the AFR when VTEC engages?
Old 02-25-2019, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 576 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by Txdragon
How's the AFR when VTEC engages?
around 12.5
Old 02-25-2019, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

around 12.5
At 4 to 5 psi? Seems a tad rich. I was about to edit my last post and say this seems tune related. I wouldn't rule out a couple other possibilities for maybe timing; dizzy synch, cam gears at 0°, etc..
Old 02-25-2019, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

At 4 to 5 psi? Seems a tad rich. I was about to edit my last post and say this seems tune related. I wouldn't rule out a couple other possibilities for maybe timing; dizzy synch, cam gears at 0°, etc..
this was my first attempt to go under load, I’m sure I will figure it out. I set the timing before I took it out and it was perfect, it’s almost like the vtec is having a issue trying to engage. I went back and looked at my log and it was 13.5 not 12.5 which is a little lean for my taste but not the issue
Old 02-25-2019, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this was my first attempt to go under load, I’m sure I will figure it out. I set the timing before I took it out and it was perfect, it’s almost like the vtec is having a issue trying to engage
The VTEC engages at what, 4800, 5000 for the GSR? I'd look closer into adjusting the engagement since you've got the cams. It may be different for s twin cam than single, but I remember tuning my VTEC was ugly. Until I started getting close to proper point, vtec would engage and my car just said, "**** it". Lol! Reminded me of my brother's old mule. Pain in the *** he was.. He would just plop down on the ground when HE was done working..
Old 02-25-2019, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The VTEC engages at what, 4800, 5000 for the GSR? I'd look closer into adjusting the engagement since you've got the cams. It may be different for s twin cam than single, but I remember tuning my VTEC was ugly. Until I started getting close to proper point, vtec would engage and my car just said, "**** it". Lol! Reminded me of my brother's old mule. Pain in the *** he was.. He would just plop down on the ground when HE was done working..
‘around 5300-5600 on a GSR I think. I had mine at 4600 and it was a very smooth transition, but that was probably due to the smaller fast spooling turbo. Tomorrow I’m going to raise the vtec up around 6k and see if the problem acts the same and I’ll data log to help find the issue
Old 02-26-2019, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pretty sure I found my issue, the chip set on the ECU has apparently worked loose. I was able to push it back down and drive the car again and the car went from vtec to bouncing the rev limiter as it blew the tires off :0 I only have the 7 pound spring in the wastegate and the car already feels as strong or stronger than it did before
Old 02-26-2019, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pretty sure I found my issue, the chip set on the ECU has apparently worked loose. I was able to push it back down and drive the car again and the car went from vtec to bouncing the rev limiter as it blew the tires off :0 I only have the 7 pound spring in the wastegate and the car already feels as strong or stronger than it did before
Sweet! Had an issue with my Demon2 board just like that; the stupid header pin didn't seat properly at first. Lol
Old 02-26-2019, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sweet! Had an issue with my Demon2 board just like that; the stupid header pin didn't seat properly at first. Lol
‘one lesson learned, roll my window up! I rang my ears when it hit the rev limit. It’s so much louder than it used to be, I went from a 2 1/2 under car dump exhaust on a 9.1 compression motor to a 10.1 with a 3 inch up pipe, I bet you can hear this thing a mile away
Old 02-26-2019, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

‘one lesson learned, roll my window up! I rang my ears when it hit the rev limit. It’s so much louder than it used to be, I went from a 2 1/2 under car dump exhaust on a 9.1 compression motor to a 10.1 with a 3 inch up pipe, I bet you can hear this thing a mile away
Hahahahaaa!! I bet. Mine is a catless exhaust with no muffler but it's still incredibly quiet. I JUST recently discovered that I have 2 resonators in the exhaust line. NOW it makes sense why.
Question about the up exhausts.. Isn't there a concern with rain?
Old 02-26-2019, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hahahahaaa!! I bet. Mine is a catless exhaust with no muffler but it's still incredibly quiet. I JUST recently discovered that I have 2 resonators in the exhaust line. NOW it makes sense why.
Question about the up exhausts.. Isn't there a concern with rain?
‘I won’t ever drive this car in the rain, I removed the wipers so I can’t even be tempted lol. I’ll make a snap on cover for when I trailer the car during rain
Old 02-26-2019, 09:02 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Rain wouldn't be a concern. A negligent piece of debris flying into the turbine, or a malicious ******* dropping a rock or sand into your upipe ir wastegate dump. Weekends or not.

Bad/ risky choice for a weekend warrior car.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Rain wouldn't be a concern. A negligent piece of debris flying into the turbine, or a malicious ******* dropping a rock or sand into your upipe ir wastegate dump. Weekends or not.

Bad/ risky choice for a weekend warrior car.
Cant really do anything bout a "negligent piece of debris" Im sure he'll man up if his luck ever gets that bad.

And the attention to detail this guy has put it. Its pretty far fetched to think 1. Someone is gonna hate him so much they wanna purposely trash his car/motor up or 2. He's ever gonna leave the car out of his sight long enough for it to happen.

Both are pretty much a big reach. Let that man enjoy his whip. I think he knows the pros and cons. Why even bother speaking on it...
Old 02-27-2019, 04:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by solo227
Cant really do anything bout a "negligent piece of debris" Im sure he'll man up if his luck ever gets that bad.

And the attention to detail this guy has put it. Its pretty far fetched to think 1. Someone is gonna hate him so much they wanna purposely trash his car/motor up or 2. He's ever gonna leave the car out of his sight long enough for it to happen.

Both are pretty much a big reach. Let that man enjoy his whip. I think he knows the pros and cons. Why even bother speaking on it...
thanks for the positive post, It seems he has it out for me some reason since he only comments on my post with negative comments. I’m not a kid and I understand those types of risk I have a brand new shop the car gets stored away in. Comments like his is the main reason people are leaving message boards. I understand where he is coming from, but there are better ways to say it unless your just trying to be an ***
Old 02-27-2019, 04:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the positive post, It seems he has it out for me some reason since he only comments on my post with negative comments. I’m not a kid and I understand those type type of risk I have a brand new shop the car gets stored away in. Comments like his is the main reason people are leaving message boards
Unfortunately a lot of us notice it too. He seems to get bothered when people don't take his line of thinking. Very intelligent dude but part of intelligence is know how and when to deliver the message.

Keeping doing you bro...
Old 02-27-2019, 04:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well ****.. I just wanted to know if rain would be an issue. I didn't mean to stir a hornet's nest. Lol!
Old 02-27-2019, 04:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well ****.. I just wanted to know if rain would be an issue. I didn't mean to stir a hornet's nest. Lol!
ha! There was no Hornets nest to stir with you post which is the main point. It’s all good, if he don’t like me or want me here he can just delete my 18 year old account
Old 02-27-2019, 04:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by solo227
Unfortunately a lot of us notice it too. He seems to get bothered when people don't take his line of thinking. Very intelligent dude but part of intelligence is know how and when to deliver the message.

Keeping doing you bro...
thanks man, I deal with a high dollar situations all day in my business that own and I don’t make my living by being an ***, customer service has to be my number one concern. But that also makes me take notice to rudeness more so than others. I’m not mad at him, I just don’t take somebody like that seriously even if they had great info because I turn them off
Old 02-27-2019, 04:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

It's hard to get a sense of tone or personality through a forum or text message. I don't think he means 'my way or the high way" but he has the old school mentality like "I wouldn't do that but to each their own". Nice car and build btw
Old 02-27-2019, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts

I wouldn’t take offense to his posts, Shodan is a street car daily driver type of dude and not much of a drag racing guy. He is interested in the threads where people do street builds with low power, full exhausts, emissions, Garrett Turbos equipped with air filters and all the safe stuff. We always used to disagree on turbo stuff because he has that street car mentality and I had the drag race mentality. Sometimes he gives advice for street use when that is not the intention of the persons.

I too run a 4 inch up pipe and dump, I run a forward facing turbo right out of the bumper with no filter but understand the risks but it works for me and what I am doing. So again I wouldn’t take offense to the post he is just assuming you’re looking to street drive this car most likely.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AZ_CIVIC
I wouldn’t take offense to his posts, Shodan is a street car daily driver type of dude and not much of a drag racing guy. He is interested in the threads where people do street builds with low power, full exhausts, emissions, Garrett Turbos equipped with air filters and all the safe stuff. We always used to disagree on turbo stuff because he has that street car mentality and I had the drag race mentality. Sometimes he gives advice for street use when that is not the intention of the persons.

I too run a 4 inch up pipe and dump, I run a forward facing turbo right out of the bumper with no filter but understand the risks but it works for me and what I am doing. So again I wouldn’t take offense to the post he is just assuming you’re looking to street drive this car most likely.

‘thanks for the reply AZ. I have 6 cars which makes the need to daily drive this car non existent, wanted to build something fun for me and I’ve always loved drag racing. I have my wife’s Pilot and my 350z for everyday running vehicles along with my two work trucks and my Chevy 4x4. There are so many hopes and dreams that show up on this board that are not practical unless it’s single use project such drag or drifting which most people can’t afford, I’m sure he lumpped me into the dreamer group which I am not..... if I really want something..... I’ll do it because I can
Old 02-27-2019, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AllMtrRex
It's hard to get a sense of tone or personality through a forum or text message. I don't think he means 'my way or the high way" but he has the old school mentality like "I wouldn't do that but to each their own". Nice car and build btw
thanks for the compliments
Old 02-27-2019, 04:03 PM

thanks for the positive post, It seems he has it out for me some reason since he only comments on my post with negative comments. I’m not a kid and I understand those types of risk I have a brand new shop the car gets stored away in. Comments like his is the main reason people are leaving message boards. I understand where he is coming from, but there are better ways to say it unless your just trying to be an ***
oh, stop.. I'm not out after anyone. Never was. I just find that sometimes when people say what they're using it for a circuit or street monster purpose, going with drag racing only equipment or setups can have negative effects that people don't think of on a regular basis that don't apply to a drag strip. They say its for the weekend warrior, but never stated how much "weekend" is actually used racing.

i love side exit exhausts, or those in a custom fashion.. (as long as our doesn't sound like ***). So don't pigeon-hole me yet.. i go by the purpose a person states; no more, no less.

i also believe people can be evil and malicious and only do something crazy because an owner allowed the opportunity to do damage .. like making an open up-pipe for a street car.. Haters will hate, and i would not like to see anyone's hard work destroyed because of a hater causing an issue simply because the owner thought it was a good idea to drag race prep a multi-use car.

I'm an *** at times. Period. I know, accept, and at times even embrace it. But i findcthat what people think is an attitude helps with impartiality, and focus to making sure all the bases are covered. You're right. In the end it's not my car. But i don't take ca lot of time to sugar-coat my writing to get to the point.. I'm here to genuinely help. I love these cars and this sport. But i also know that there is B.S in the world, and it's best to forsee it coming and adress it now, then to be naive and think that maliciousness doesn't occur

Last edited by TheShodan; 03-01-2019 at 04:16 AM.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
oh, stop.. I'm not out after anyone. Never was. I just find that sometimes when people say what they're using it for a circuit or street monster purpose, going with drag racing only equipment or setups can have negative effects that people don't think of on a regular basis that don't apply to a drag strip. They say its for the weekend warrior, but never stated how much "weekend" is actually used racing.

i love side exit exhausts, or those in a custom fashion.. (as long as our doesn't sound like ***). So don't pigeon-hole me yet.. i go by the purpose a person states; no more, no less.

i also believe people can be evil and malicious and only do something crazy because an owner allowed the opportunity to do damage .. likecmakingvan open up-pipe for a street car.. Haters will hate, and i would not like to see anyone's hard work destroyed because of a hater causing an issue simply because the owner thought it was a good idea to drag race prep a multi-use car.

I'm an *** at times. Period. I know, accept, and at times even embrace it. But i findcthat what people think is an attitude helps with impartiality, and focus to making sure all the bases are covered. You're right. In the end it's not my car. But i don't take ca lot of time to sugar-coat mybwritingbto get to the point.. I'm here to genuinely help. I love these cars and this sport. But i also know that there is B.S in the world, and it's best to forsee it coming and adress it now, then to be naive and think that maliciousness doesn't occur
no feelings hurt here, just kinda feel like you have had a negative response with pretty much everything in my thread, but you might not have understood the purpose of this car. my build is sickly a drag race car that I’m keeping Street legal for the so reason of being able to enter better classes at races. This car will have a full roll cage that will be NHRA certified before I’m done and it’s primary purpose is to just go fast 9-10 seconds at a time. Now as for the idea of a side exit for the exhaust...... that’s what I really wanted to do, but the layout in my engine bay in giving me fits trying to figure out how to make that happen. The up pipe exhaust that is currently installed is something I built just for breaking in the car with pipes I had laying around and not my final product, I might still use a hood exit, but it will have a cleaner look to it when/f I do
Old 02-28-2019, 09:17 AM

no feelings hurt here, just kinda feel like you have had a negative response with pretty much everything in my thread, but you might not have understood the purpose of this car. my build is sickly a drag race car that I’m keeping Street legal for the so reason of being able to enter better classes at races. This car will have a full roll cage that will be NHRA certified before I’m done and it’s primary purpose is to just go fast 9-10 seconds at a time. Now as for the idea of a side exit for the exhaust...... that’s what I really wanted to do, but the layout in my engine bay in giving me fits trying to figure out how to make that happen. The up pipe exhaust that is currently installed is something I built just for breaking in the car with pipes I had laying around and not my final product, I might still use a hood exit, but it will have a cleaner look to it when/f I do
Well. There you have it. If this is drag race purpose, that changes a few points in my book. But that wasn't made that clearly in the beginning (or i just missed it around all the photos, which happens on occasion ), as you're still trying to drive on the street... not an easy task in and of itself.

But as you progress, if i make any further comments, the prize you've now stated is being kept in mind, so you shouldn't see too much additional disparity.

Last edited by TheShodan; 02-28-2019 at 11:16 AM.

Quick Reply: TurboLScrx - Making my return to the fold