TurboLScrx - Making my return to the fold

Old 02-05-2019, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: TurboLScrx - Making my return to the fold

Originally Posted by turboLScrx View Post
Got my block back from CSS and they did a great job, I wish the block would have come a little cleaner but I know itís old and stained.
Nice, did they not bead blast it, or did they just put it in the parts washer? Bead blasting it will make it look brand new.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:59 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

They just put mine in the parts washer, didn't bead blast. It's a thing of beauty, though!
Old 02-05-2019, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I paid for a jet wash, I did not see other options
Old 02-05-2019, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaX View Post
They just put mine in the parts washer, didn't bead blast. It's a thing of beauty, though!
I typically do the bead or soda blast on my blocks because usually itís about 100 bucks or less and makes the block look like it just left the assembly line.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AZ_CIVIC View Post

I typically do the bead or soda blast on my blocks because usually it’s about 100 bucks or less and makes the block look like it just left the assembly line.
it looks basically the same as I sent it, I had my local shop parts wash it before it left to CSS.... I was hoping for it to look better (on the outside) but I’m sure I got what I paid for, I didn’t realize what I was supposed to ask for, I thought the jet wash would do it. I can blast it myself i guess or just spend a little time with a high speed polisher. AZ.... what do you set your main bearings clearances to? We decided to go a little bigger with the high revs but I wanted to make sure I didn’t add to much clearance
Old 02-05-2019, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by K7-1Ktrevor View Post
I had a customer with a eg that made 730whp and looked like your average $800 **** box.
Guess it depends on the area. Where I live, it's all about American muscle. I love it when I take my cracker Jack prize looking civic out and get revved at by some rust bucket Camaro, only to see their dreams shatter in my rearview mirror. I keep mine looking like something pulled out of a toddler's toy box for JUST that purpose. I've worked on SOME eye appeal this time around and I'm set on getting rid of the ridiculous body kit, but I'm not changing the paint. Lol!

That block looks great! hoping to see this puppy start up soon!
Old 02-05-2019, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Txdragon View Post

That block looks great! hoping to see this puppy start up soon!
‘thanks , I did a dry assemble today with plastigauge and my rods clearance was spot on, my mains I need to report back to my machinist to make sure I don’t have too much clearance. He wanted to go bigger clearance on my mains because of the rpm’s I will be turning and the amount of boost, I just need to confirm the clearance is ok since it’s pushing a bit higher than normal specs and I’m not experienced enough to know
Old 02-05-2019, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ďthanks , I did a dry assemble today with plastigauge and my rods clearance was spot on, my mains I need to report back to my machinist to make sure I donít have too much clearance. He wanted to go bigger clearance on my mains because of the rpmís I will be turning and the amount of boost, I just need to confirm the clearance is ok since itís pushing a bit higher than normal specs and Iím not experienced enough to know
what were your clearances? Curious to see where they are and what he recommends.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what were your clearances? Curious to see where they are and what he recommends.
on the plastigauge my mains was around .0025-.0028. He told me he wanted to go an extra .0003-.0005. Stock recommendation is .0015-.0019 I think and max .0024. So I was thinking I would land around .0018-.0023. I’m going to scope it in the morning and do some math
Old 02-06-2019, 03:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

on the plastigauge my mains was around .0025-.0028. He told me he wanted to go an extra .0003-.0005. Stock recommendation is .0015-.0019 I think and max .0024. So I was thinking I would land around .0018-.0023. Iím going to scope it in the morning and do some math
I'm sure there is going to be some flack about those clearances. I've read a lot that .003 is too much. This could presumably starve the rods. Ways to combat the starvation though; pump volume, thicker oil, etc.. I started looking into it after rechecking- post torque, my clearance before I set my block and trans back in the bay. I landed at .003 across the board. Rods were .0018-.002. I checked this **** with a magnifier lol! The plastiguage smear was larger than .0015 but BARELY smaller than .002. Anywho..
If your builder is recommending larger, I'm curious to see how this goes.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm sure there is going to be some flack about those clearances. I've read a lot that .003 is too much. This could presumably starve the rods. Ways to combat the starvation though; pump volume, thicker oil, etc.. I started looking into it after rechecking- post torque, my clearance before I set my block and trans back in the bay. I landed at .003 across the board. Rods were .0018-.002. I checked this **** with a magnifier lol! The plastiguage smear was larger than .0015 but BARELY smaller than .002. Anywho..
If your builder is recommending larger, I'm curious to see how this goes.

took my block to my machinists this morning, apparently we got sent the wrong bearings...... this is why itís so important to double/triple check everything! I will have my new bearings tomorrow and he will verify them before I pick them up so I can just start assembling....
Old 02-06-2019, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Getting my replacement main bearings tomorrow but was able to at least assemble the rods and pistons tonight

Old 02-06-2019, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good looking set right there!
Old 02-07-2019, 04:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it looks basically the same as I sent it, I had my local shop parts wash it before it left to CSS.... I was hoping for it to look better (on the outside) but I’m sure I got what I paid for, I didn’t realize what I was supposed to ask for, I thought the jet wash would do it. I can blast it myself i guess or just spend a little time with a high speed polisher. AZ.... what do you set your main bearings clearances to? We decided to go a little bigger with the high revs but I wanted to make sure I didn’t add to much clearance
I wouldn't mess with the block now that it's been machined and going to final assembly stage. If you blast it with any media it will find it's way into oil and water jackets and tiny crevices. The only way I would blast it would be bare, and then steam/jet wash it again afterwards.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AllMtrRex View Post
I wouldn't mess with the block now that it's been machined and going to final assembly stage. If you blast it with any media it will find it's way into oil and water jackets and tiny crevices. The only way I would blast it would be bare, and then steam/jet wash it again afterwards.
i have some high speed cone shaped buffing wheels and compound I’m going to try, I was testing on my transmission last night and was very pleased with the results. I was thinking the same way you was about keeping anything abrasive far away from this thing, the thought of sandblasting it was very short lived. Lol

Old 02-07-2019, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks good. Going to take some time but should look good when done.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:14 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Careful...cleaning up cases by hand is a slippery slope - next thing you know you'll be buffing entire block, head, tranny, etc., and it takes forever! I wire brushed my tranny cases (roughly 3 hours) and had to make myself not go on to the block.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaX View Post
Careful...cleaning up cases by hand is a slippery slope - next thing you know you'll be buffing entire block, head, tranny, etc., and it takes forever! I wire brushed my tranny cases (roughly 3 hours) and had to make myself not go on to the block.
so true, Iíve done it before but this time I have better tools
My machinist let me borrow his ring file and leveling tool for the night..... one step closer!

Old 02-07-2019, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looking good!
Old 02-07-2019, 05:03 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Ah, a ring leveling tool, that's what that guy is. Yeah, looking good, you're in the home stretch.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys, if all goes well I will get my head back tomorrow and i can degree the cams and get this thing together. I’ve got a buddy (also a fellow Honda-tech member ) that is going to help me degree the camshafts which is something I’ve never done
Old 02-07-2019, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys, if all goes well I will get my head back tomorrow and i can degree the cams and get this thing together. Iíve got a buddy (also a fellow Honda-tech member ) that is going to help me degree the camshafts which is something Iíve never done
I'll be honest here and say this is my biggest intimidator regarding a B. I mean, yeah, something new to learn and CAN be, but ugh.. Near 200 bucks for the proper tool to assist with this ONE task.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll be honest here and say this is my biggest intimidator regarding a B. I mean, yeah, something new to learn and CAN be, but ugh.. Near 200 bucks for the proper tool to assist with this ONE task.
ĎIím lucky that my buddy has all the required tools to get this job done and he has done serious research on doing cam degrees correctly, he has been a major help on my return to racing and I canít thank him enough
Old 02-08-2019, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

About to beat my head against a wall tonight! Finished the bottom end assembly and did the final round of torque on mains and rods. I first did the mains and all was good then I moved on to the ARP rod bolts and I did 3 rounds on torque 22/36/46 and the crank spun fine until I did the final round of torque and that’s when the crank stopped moving. I loosened the rod caps and everything frees up! I had plastigauged the rods and everything showed in spec and I even took the crank and rods to the machine shop to verify my results before assemble......what am I missing? the only odd thing I could even consider is the assembly lube is very thick because is damn cold here and it might be acting like glue under full torque? I’ve never had this happen before and thought someone else might have ran into this before
Old 02-08-2019, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had this happen on the top end, but that's because a couple of the followers didn't seat right after cam install. The bottom end isn't so sophisticated so, I'm drawing a bit of a blank myself. Was it line honed after CSS? Only thing I could think of at this moment are the crank journals not lining true once torqued fully.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: