Notices

TurboLScrx - Making my return to the fold

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 576 Likes on 382 Posts
Default Re: TurboLScrx - Making my return to the fold

taking my valve cover to a professional welder tomorrow to permanently attach my 10an fittings that I pre fit today. Also almost have all the required motor assembly parts.....

Old 01-28-2019, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have question, I removed everything power steering from my EG other than the rack itself. What does everyone do for this situation about the open ports on the rack? Swap to a manual rack? Plug the holes? Buy a kit?
Old 01-28-2019, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

I like the power racks because they have a quicker turn ratio. You can cut the hoses and loop them together. Most people that I've seen will loop them into a big t then run a little hose up with a filter or vent.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by K7-1Ktrevor
I like the power racks because they have a quicker turn ratio. You can cut the hoses and loop them together. Most people that I've seen will loop them into a big t then run a little hose up with a filter or vent.
i wasn’t sure if it had to keep pressure in the rack or if a air bubble got in if it would cause play?
Old 01-28-2019, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No ive just cut the ps lines on every civic I've had with it and never had any issues. I really hate how power steering feels in these cars.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No ive just cut the ps lines on every civic I've had with it and never had any issues. I really hate how power steering feels in these cars.

dry? Do you keep any fluid in the system or just leave the rack empty. I’ve never messed with a steering system in my life ..... it’s about the only thing I’ve not educated myself on over the years
Old 01-28-2019, 03:10 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by turboLScrx
dry? Do you keep any fluid in the system or just leave the rack empty. I’ve never messed with a steering system in my life ..... it’s about the only thing I’ve not educated myself on over the years
My daily driver Civic has a power rack but it leaked really bad when I got it and I never fixed it, so I took the belt off about 200,000 miles ago and have never had an issue. I left the pump and hoses bolted up, so not quite like K7-1Ktrevor is suggesting, but I don't think it would hurt it at all - I would just do what you can to keep dirt from getting in the rack - be that cutting the lines so they close off or by connecting the hoses to a filter.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaX
My daily driver Civic has a power rack but it leaked really bad when I got it and I never fixed it, so I took the belt off about 200,000 miles ago and have never had an issue. I left the pump and hoses bolted up, so not quite like K7-1Ktrevor is suggesting, but I don't think it would hurt it at all - I would just do what you can to keep dirt from getting in the rack - be that cutting the lines so they close off or by connecting the hoses to a filter.
‘yeah I have ran mine forever with the belt on, but now I have completely removed everything including lines/pump/canister. I’ll probably just cut the lines only leaving a few inches and pinch them off flat then fold them over to help seal them off or just weld them shut
Old 01-28-2019, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does anybody know how much venting per horsepower level needs to be done.... I’m guessing i can overvent? I have the 2 rear block 10an fitting and also 4 more on my valve cover, I wanted to make sure I had plenty of venting options when needed especially since I can cap off vents if I needed to. I’ve also heard that during the engine break in period I might need to cap off the vents and increase crank pressure back to normal to help seat the rings and such?
Old 01-29-2019, 06:49 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Does anybody know how much venting per horsepower level needs to be done.... I’m guessing i can overvent? I have the 2 rear block 10an fitting and also 4 more on my valve cover, I wanted to make sure I had plenty of venting options when needed especially since I can cap off vents if I needed to. I’ve also heard that during the engine break in period I might need to cap off the vents and increase crank pressure back to normal to help seat the rings and such?
No such thing as Overventing, really. Not in that calculated way. You don't have to go through so much venting like that. I don't even use a single -10AN welded bung for over 530whp. I never understood this way of venting except when it wad originally conceived.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The back ports on the valve cover will fill your catch can up with oil pretty quickly unless you run a drain back into the large back fittings on the block. My old dsm would fill the catch can after like 2 pulls lol.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts

Holy crankcase vents, Batman!! I was curious on that debacle as well; if too many is too much. Evidently, excessive is probable and too much is not. Thanks for clearing that up here!
Old 01-29-2019, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Txdragon
Holy crankcase vents, Batman!! I was curious on that debacle as well; if too many is too much. Evidently, excessive is probable and too much is not. Thanks for clearing that up here!
‘it’s a topic that if not seen discussed around here and it’s important for forced induction
Old 01-29-2019, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
No such thing as Overventing, really. Not in that calculated way. You don't have to go through so much venting like that. I don't even use a single -10AN welded bung for over 530whp. I never understood this way of venting except when it wad originally conceived.
‘the best I can understand is that the better the ventilation the less stress/ back pressure on the rings which allowed HP to be freed up. I’ve seen where venting alone can free up 30-40 hp depending on your HP level of course. A higher compression build would probably need vents more so than a low compression build
Old 01-29-2019, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The back ports on the valve cover will fill your catch can up with oil pretty quickly unless you run a drain back into the large back fittings on the block. My old dsm would fill the catch can after like 2 pulls lol.
‘I’m running a 6 port setup with return , the lower ports back to the block. I could see the back ports causing the oil to escape since there is no splash guard
Old 01-29-2019, 09:51 AM

‘the best I can understand is that the better the ventilation the less stress/ back pressure on the rings which allowed HP to be freed up. I’ve seen where venting alone can free up 30-40 hp depending on your HP level of course. A higher compression build would probably need vents more so than a low compression build
There's a point of diminishing returns (like with everything else).. And no. Static compression does not effect the amount of ventilation needed in order to get to the proper effective compression needed. The only reason you saw the increase in peak power, was because of the fact that more than likely the 1st setup of the ventilation system was improperly or poorly done in the 1st place, and that decent PCV and vented system will assist in simply relieving crankcase pressure (not in the piston rings).

But that still doesn't mean you need 4 -10 AN ports to do that, you could easily consume oil to where proper oil levels for bearing lubrication will suffer.

So, relax with the giant battery catch can and 4 ports. I mean, do as you wish, but your results won't change simply because you made more "holes" in the valve cover.
The following users liked this post:
Old 01-29-2019, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

While it’s apart I firgured it was just as easy to prepare every option.... just in case
Old 01-29-2019, 05:57 PM

While it’s apart I firgured it was just as easy to prepare every option.... just in case
There's just in case, and there's needless obsession... this falls within the latter, honestly..
Old 01-29-2019, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There's just in case, and there's needless obsession... this falls within the latter, honestly..
I figured if I get this thing up around 800hp it might need to breathe
Old 01-29-2019, 07:52 PM

I figured if I get this thing up around 800hp it might need to breathe
Again. It depends upon purpose. So, at 800whp, the street will never be seen. That's fine.

So, this is 1000whp Integra DC2 from our own GringoTegra. Think he believes its necessary for that many crankcase ports? ... Nah

You have bigger worries than this crankcase venting. Relax. You don't need all that, as I've said repeatedly. Work on something else productive on the build..

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-30-2019, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It’s too damn cold to do the things I want lol. Below zero wind chills right now
Old 01-31-2019, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Are the Gates Racing timing belt tensioners ok? Just found out that Koyo makes the stock one, they are around 100.00 from Honda or 20.00 online from Koyo? Maybe someone can shed some light on this so I don’t waste money. Thanks

Last edited by turboLScrx; 01-31-2019 at 06:18 AM.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, even tho I think its basically a stock replacement. KTuned makes an adjustable tensioner that is suppose to be better for cars doing big numbers. I'd be interested to see what the really big horsepower guys like AZ run.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:32 AM

Are the Gates Racing timing belt tensioners ok? Just found out that Koyo makes the stock one, they are around 100.00 from Honda or 20.00 online from Koyo? Maybe someone can shed some light on this so I don’t waste money. Thanks
Interesting. I've always felt those got in the way. I just used the extra money on a better belt (TODA RACING LTD, or GReddy) and skip that tensioner. Plus I still use power steering, and that tensioner coves the PS bracket. But since you got rid of PS, sure, I guess.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Interesting. I've always felt those got in the way. I just used the extra money on a better belt (TODA RACING LTD, or GReddy) and skip that tensioner. Plus I still use power steering, and that tensioner coves the PS bracket. But since you got rid of PS, sure, I guess.
The tensioner I was talking about is a normal style, that’s what I’d perfer

Quick Reply: TurboLScrx - Making my return to the fold