Notices

TurboLScrx - Making my return to the fold

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 576 Likes on 382 Posts
Default TurboLScrx - Making my return to the fold

Hello people, I’ve been a long time member of this board and I was a first generation Honda racer back before many of this board was even born. I have had my 93si HB since 1996 and just could never let it go. It always ran great back in the day and I was among some some the fastest Honda’s back when I started in the 90’s in my old LS turbo CRX, I was running 11’s around 120mph 20 years ago which don’t seem like much these days, but the worlds fastest Honda’s was still in the 10’s at that time. Moral to my story is that I’ve decided to make a comeback with my 93si, I currently run a slightly modified b18c1 and plan on doing a full built over the winter and would like feedback and constructive comments during this process. Remember I’ve been out of the racing scene for almost 15 years and a lot of things have changed, so it might take me a while to catch up with all the new lingo. Tonight I decided to go to my local track just to see what the car could still do after sitting around for 10 years, I made a few passes running my 17 inch street tires and was pretty surprised by the result. Remember that I had the feather the pedal until the 1/8 mile to control all the spin.

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-14-2018, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: TurboLScrx - Making my return to the fold

1993 civic si HB
current setup
b18c1
93 LS trans
chiped ecu
450cc injectors
Holley billet throttle body
Holley fuel rail
Holley 1.1 fuel pressure regulator
Holley starter
Walbro in tank fuel pump
ACT extreme clutch with 6 puck
custom built t3/t4 turbo
ram manifold
turbonetics wastegate
front Mount intercooler ( not sure what make)
10psi
9.1 GE pistons
MSD blaster coil

stock rods
stock head stock crank

HKS super ss blowoff valve

Old 08-14-2018, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 794 Likes on 734 Posts
Default Re: TurboLScrx - Making my return to the fold

Welcome back to the fold. I am an OG like you and I am truly encouraged that there are still people like you who have this "Import Scene" in their blood and simply haven't moved on to something else.
The following 2 users liked this post by JRCivic1:
Old 08-15-2018, 03:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Nice, I haven't seen a set of Focal R3s in many years. Also glad to see that you've stuck with it and are out to "revamp" modernize some of the parts. Enjoy it
Old 08-15-2018, 03:57 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by turboLScrx
Remember I’ve been out of the racing scene for almost 15 years and a lot of things have changed...
Welcome back. The above statement couldn't be more true! Try to remember that when people are giving you advice that goes against everything you think you know

I was in for some surprises when I came back too, as my first Honda build was back in 2005. Not quite as OG as you, but still how things have changed. I remember back then making 400 or even 300whp was very rare. 12's and 13's were fast.

Old 08-15-2018, 04:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys, you never know how you might be welcomed back after being gone for so long, I got into boating and I have weekend live aboard we travel to and stay on during the weekends which took away race time for the longest time. I figure a few good runs with some slicks this car should be back into the 11’s and is still a lot of fun.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Autoworks
Nice, I haven't seen a set of Focal R3s in many years. Also glad to see that you've stuck with it and are out to "revamp" modernize some of the parts. Enjoy it
im impressed you knew what those wheels are.... I don’t even know the model. Lol
Old 08-15-2018, 04:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

im impressed you knew what those wheels are.... I don’t even know the model. Lol
I used to have a set in 19" way back in the day...back when 19" was massive and tucking tire was a task without ripping off fenders...the good ol days
Old 08-15-2018, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts

Welcome back I've been going strong since 1998 when I bought my first car/Honda CRX. I've only been on this board since 2010 but have never stopped or taken any breaks from racing. Things have absolutely changed and changed for the better as far as parts go. I remember when chipped ecu's and VAFC controllers were the must have LOL, then graduated to AEM, then to Hondata V1, V2, V3 and then to Motec. When I first started I had a b16 and 50 shot then from 2000 to 2005 I was all about all motor going from b20vtec to a stroker GSR. In 05 is was all about a fully built GSR with Jackson Supercharger, LHT air to water setup and then in 07 turbo. Ever since then I've been messing with turbo stuff trying to go faster and faster. Going from street use to all out drag and every year the parts keep getting better and better.

Old 08-15-2018, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AZ_CIVIC
Welcome back I've been going strong since 1998 when I bought my first car/Honda CRX. I've only been on this board since 2010 but have never stopped or taken any breaks from racing. Things have absolutely changed and changed for the better as far as parts go. I remember when chipped ecu's and VAFC controllers were the must have LOL, then graduated to AEM, then to Hondata V1, V2, V3 and then to Motec. When I first started I had a b16 and 50 shot then from 2000 to 2005 I was all about all motor going from b20vtec to a stroker GSR. In 05 is was all about a fully built GSR with Jackson Supercharger, LHT air to water setup and then in 07 turbo. Ever since then I've been messing with turbo stuff trying to go faster and faster. Going from street use to all out drag and every year the parts keep getting better and better.
yeah, you have went through a few setups! Glad to see see old timers are still at it. I also did some of the things you did, I had the CRX running 13’s all motor, then went NOS to get into the 12’s then went turbo to hit 11’s. . In my 93si i fully built a d16z6 with eagle rod and Ge pistons, fully built head with turbo cam / springs/ retainers ect. I just could never get the SOHO tuned out to do what I wanted and it ended up swapping out for the GSR
Old 08-17-2018, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Making my parts list for my engine build, if anybody sees some items that just don’t work together well or something better please say something​​​​​​. I’m going to build this engine to be able to handle 700 plus but will probably tune it to 600 range when done. The main parts I’m worried about right now are the items to assemble the engine, I don’t want to miss anything..recommend head gasket also.

CSS block
wiseco 10.2:1 pistons
skunk connection rods
arp head studs
Skunk turbo cams
skunk valve springs and retainers
gt35 turbo ( not sure who’s )
Old 08-17-2018, 11:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Skunk 2 tuner 1 or Pro 1(for 500whp+) from skunk2.
Their turbo cams are not that good for some reason.
On the rods you can get what ever you like. I liked the skunk2 H beams finish better from eagles.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stock head gasket,

at that power level Id be looking at eagle/ manley turbo tuff rods. I cant seem to recall anyone running that power level on skunk2. There probably decent rods but just dont trust them much Id get something that has proven themselves for many years

Also at that power lvl CSS should be fine but id feel alot better/safer on a sleeved block
Old 08-18-2018, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2kdrift
Stock head gasket,

at that power level Id be looking at eagle/ manley turbo tuff rods. I cant seem to recall anyone running that power level on skunk2. There probably decent rods but just dont trust them much Id get something that has proven themselves for many years

Also at that power lvl CSS should be fine but id feel alot better/safer on a sleeved block
Eagle is what I ran before and never had a problem, manley is new to me considering how long I’ve been gone. They are all about the same price.
Old 08-18-2018, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Balor_Gr
Skunk 2 tuner 1 or Pro 1(for 500whp+) from skunk2.
Their turbo cams are not that good for some reason.
On the rods you can get what ever you like. I liked the skunk2 H beams finish better from eagles.
other than skunk cams, who’s would you recommend?
Old 08-18-2018, 07:56 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

other than skunk cams, who’s would you recommend?
Kelford 176-T
GSCT1
Use Stock LMAs
Old 08-18-2018, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Honesty I made 715 on Type R cams, stock Type R throttle body, edelbrock Victor X manifold and t3t61 Garrett Turbo. Idled and drove like a stock car.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes ig you can get good condition TYPE R cams on the correct price its allways the go to way.
Here they cost 150 cheaper from tuner 1 or pro 1 but condition is most of the times questionable or bad.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2x0
Welcome back. The above statement couldn't be more true! Try to remember that when people are giving you advice that goes against everything you think you know

I was in for some surprises when I came back too, as my first Honda build was back in 2005. Not quite as OG as you, but still how things have changed. I remember back then making 400 or even 300whp was very rare. 12's and 13's were fast.

Tell me about it. It seems that now days 500 whp is the norm. Whenever you go to a car meet and have anything less than 500 no one seems to be amazed like back in the days.

Old 08-18-2018, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice to see someone who has owned an EG as long as I have. I am an original owner of a 93 EG SI hatch and have an LS turbo setup. It runs as a daily driver with only 10PSI, but built the motor to handle about 20-25 PSI, so I had room to grow. Currently makes 234HP to the wheels. Sadly I have made the decision to sell it. Like stated above, things have changed quite a lot with the Civic scene, but mainly my family has gotten a little bigger recently and I have found that I have not been able to spend much time with it as I used to. None the less, it is cool to see some OG folks out there.
Old 08-18-2018, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dr_rhubarb
Nice to see someone who has owned an EG as long as I have. I am an original owner of a 93 EG SI hatch and have an LS turbo setup. It runs as a daily driver with only 10PSI, but built the motor to handle about 20-25 PSI, so I had room to grow. Currently makes 234HP to the wheels. Sadly I have made the decision to sell it. Like stated above, things have changed quite a lot with the Civic scene, but mainly my family has gotten a little bigger recently and I have found that I have not been able to spend much time with it as I used to. None the less, it is cool to see some OG folks out there.
i just could not let mine go, it’s been paid for since 1997 and insurance is only about 18-20 dollars a month full coverage, it just makes more since to keep it and have something to play with. I’m guessing mine should run high 11’s as it sits and is still fun to beat down the local street guys. I live in the town where Corvettes are made and Holley Performance plant is also here, so the muscle car scene is by far dominant here. If you roll out to the track and run sub 13’s in a Honda , people around here still have there minds blown. Don’t blast me for asking this, but what is EG? I see everyone using that term but never remember anything EG from the past.
Old 08-18-2018, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Balor_Gr
Yes ig you can get good condition TYPE R cams on the correct price its allways the go to way.
Here they cost 150 cheaper from tuner 1 or pro 1 but condition is most of the times questionable or bad.
‘what’s the difference with type R cams? Are they worth what they cost, or would another pound of boost do the same
Old 08-18-2018, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Honesty I made 715 on Type R cams, stock Type R throttle body, edelbrock Victor X manifold and t3t61 Garrett Turbo. Idled and drove like a stock car.
‘how much boost and what compression did it take to make that much power? I really appreciate everyone’s advice
Old 08-18-2018, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

‘how much boost and what compression did it take to make that much power? I really appreciate everyone’s advice
That was on 9:1 and I think less than 30psi. I think with that turbo it was maxing out some where close to that.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That was on 9:1 and I think less than 30psi. I think with that turbo it was maxing out some where close to that.
that’s a lot of boost, I’m running 9.1 now and the new build was thinking 10.2.1. See any problems with that?

Quick Reply: TurboLScrx - Making my return to the fold