Notices

Turboing a SOHC what are the requirements?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turboing a SOHC what are the requirements?

ok well this is my first post, and before any of you regulars want to flame the noob for asking a stupid question before using the search option, I DID! trust me , ok now to my question I'm thinking of buying an EG hatch (gettin rid of the ol' porsche, stupid pain in the *** ) and tuning it for the touge, my options are swaping in a B16/B18 and building it up completly, and tuning it for a NA set up, or keeping the stock motor and installing the turbo. right now I'm leaning towards the turbo option because the time and money it would take to do the swap is something I don't have. so I was wondering what would I need to do to get a decent amount of HP from the single cam SOHC engine. also I dont want to over boost it and crack the block or something like that, but i want around 250hp but not too much dont want to be flyin' off any corners. so what would you guys recomend? and a price list would help too.

thanx in advanced
Nik
Old 03-09-2005, 11:13 PM

Default Re: Turboing a SOHC what are the requirements? (944drifter)

hey there guy!
alrighty,
sureee! turbo is the way of the future :-P look all the newer cars comming with it! hehe

okay well as far as turbo goes, you can pretty much just slap it on if you want to, but there are some cautions, like you said boosting high and blowing something, but even when boosting like 4 psi you can still blow up. :-)

you can just
get a bolt on turbo kit, like the drag kit, or if you plan to put a kit together your self some of the main things you will need..

turbo
manifold
blow off valve
wastegate
piping
downpipe
intercooler
couplings
vacume lines here n there
oil feed line, *u gotta tape your oil pan* there are probably a few threads on this on HT
boost gauge might be nice :-)

after a while or even now, if u plan on building it up more, you can go with forged pistons n rods etc to bullet proof your block... clutch, is a nice thing to upgrade, if youre making lots of power and your clutch is just slipping, its useless... injectors, FMU etc etc

*shgures* not sure if i forgot anything hahaa kinda falling asleep here...

but yeah, u might want to do a tune up first, like uhhh
sparkplugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor

if i left anything out im sure someone will kindly fill it in :-P

i was going through the same thoughts as you once, i asked a freind, he spent kinda a nice amount of money on doing a gsr swap... he said if he could do it again he would have just built and turbo'd his sohc engine

hope that helps

TOODLES

Modified by Fugun at 12:36 AM 3/10/2005
Old 03-10-2005, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turboing a SOHC what are the requirements? (Fugun)

^^a very good list. I would go with hondata/uberdata/neptune for fuel managment.

I notice you like the drive the twisty's. Id like to throw out to suggestions before you make more power. Have you ever autocrossed/road raced and learned how to drive the <120hp your car makes? I only ask becuase most people think more power will make them faster in the turns but this is very false, in fact most people can't harness the power their car makes stock.

Second suggestions is getting an LSD soon. LSD will help you greatly and get rid of that one wheel sping that haunts us coming out of turns.

Good luck with it all
Old 03-10-2005, 08:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check out the FAQ, links in there to everything and everything.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most important-
a good headgasket and head studs
Old 03-10-2005, 02:44 PM

Default Re: (igo4bmx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Civicman86 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I notice you like the drive the twisty's. Id like to throw out to suggestions before you make more power. Have you ever autocrossed/road raced and learned how to drive the &lt;120hp your car makes? I only ask becuase most people think more power will make them faster in the turns but this is very false, in fact most people can't harness the power their car makes stock.

Second suggestions is getting an LSD soon. LSD will help you greatly and get rid of that one wheel sping that haunts us coming out of turns.

Good luck with it all </TD></TR></TABLE>

yes i have realized that more HP hinders you on the corners and is also dangerous, right now I'm using a porsche 944 with about 160hp on the touge so I'm feeling pretty confident with 250hp, of course i wont takle the corners hard until i get use to it.

but other than that thanx alot for all of your help
Nik
Old 03-10-2005, 02:47 PM

Default Re: (944drifter)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 944drifter &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yes i have realized that more HP hinders you on the corners and is also dangerous, right now I'm using a porsche 944 with about 160hp on the touge so I'm feeling pretty confident with 250hp, of course i wont takle the corners hard until i get use to it.

but other than that thanx alot for all of your help
Nik
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Togue?

togue ( P )
n.
See <u><FONT COLOR="blue">lake trout.</FONT></u>

You run the lake trout with 160 HP?

For the record, yes, I know togue is a gay word some people made up or came from Japanland or whatever, but I don't care. It's a gay word, and driving a 160 HP porsche through some twisty roads at what you think to be a fairly good clip has absolutely no relevance to handling that car on a road course.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:00 PM

ok and thats supposed to help how?
i admit I'm not the best driver in the world but im only 17 so lighten up geez
Old 03-10-2005, 08:32 PM

Default Re: Turboing a SOHC what are the requirements? (Civicman86)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Civicman86 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^^a very good list. I would go with hondata/uberdata/neptune for fuel managment.

Good luck with it all </TD></TR></TABLE>

yes managment.. :-) hondata is a nice one, my friend is running it it seems to be pretty dope

LSD .. not the drug, :-)

for manifold, i suggest something like uhm a love fab manifold, check out his site, lovefab.com

great stuff

pricing may seem high, but considering the quality of the manifolds... i got turned on to lovefab from a co-worker
Old 03-10-2005, 08:40 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Turboing a SOHC what are the requirements? (Fugun)

well if a b swap is too much money for you

then you are not going to make 250whp

that will require tearing the motor apart and installing new rods/pistons.

You can make close to 200whp nicely though with a simple custom kit,
14b turbo, or a pieced together greddy kit.

do what you want as far as parts go,
but dont skimp on the tuning.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turboing a SOHC what are the requirements? (Tad)

what year/model of porsche?
Old 03-11-2005, 07:49 PM

1983 porsche 944
Old 03-15-2005, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (944drifter)

It would be easier to get 250hp out of the Porsche 2.5L

Plus it has 4 wheel discs
11.1" and 11.4" internally ventilated rotorsq

The car is near perfectly balanced with a 50% - 50% weight distribution

Crankshaft: Forged, 5 main bearings

4 wheel independent suspension
Front suspension: Independent coil/shock abbsorber struts, positive steering roll radius
Rear suspension: Independent trailing - diagonal arm, one torsion bar each
Transmission: Transaxle, rear

Obviously there must be something seriously wrong with it otherwise its a much better setup than a Honda to start with.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:16 PM

yep there little bits and pieces that are wrong I dont have the money to fix it because parts are a bitch to find and i get screwed every were i go to get them installed because its a "porsche". so I'd be spending less money in the long run with a honda.