Notices

turbo'ing my GS-R, list of preparations - am I right?

Old 12-02-2003, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo'ing my GS-R, list of preparations - am I right?

I've been researching what precautions I'd need to consider when turbo'ing my 94 GS-R with 111,000 miles on it. The following is a list of things that it seems I would need. Please let me know if there is anything else that I should test/consider, or any parts that aren't necessary. Lastly, is it true that I want to lower the compression in my cylinder to about 9:1 instead of the stock 10:1? Can this be achieved simply by 9:1 pistons? If so, what brand, etc.? Ok, the list:

-new pistons (10:1 or 9:1 - or 11:1 - which and why?)
-new rods
-new rings (^--probably will buy these as a kit)
-walbro 225 lph fuel pump
-440cc injectors
-better fuel rail
-better/performance (ie: jg, skunk2, or venom) intake manifold
-Turbo setup (is T3/T4 or SC50 better?)
^--Includes:
-turbo
-wastegate
-bov
-turbo manifold
-downpipe, all other pipes
-intercooler
-all other crap usually included in a turbo "kit"
-fmu or possibly e-manage type system

Do I need any of the following?:
-new cams
-adjust. cam gears
-valves, valve seats
-any other service or tests to conduct?

Other questions:
-Is the NX Ntercooler system good? Est. hp increase?
-What would I need to do to pass emissions test in July '04?

Thanks VERY much for your help
Tim
Old 12-02-2003, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: turbo'ing my GS-R, list of preparations - am I right? (CrazyModGSR)

LIST OF PREPARATIONS

1. SET YOUR GOALS

2. decide on course of action.

3. use the search button.
Old 12-02-2003, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It all depends on your goal. We all want 800hp Honda's, realisticly though, that's not really a fiesable option. So what do you REALLY want? 300whp is a joke, a simple Revhard kit, Hondata and a good sized turbo and you're done. The higer you go, the more complicated it gets.
Old 12-02-2003, 08:05 AM

Default Re: turbo'ing my GS-R, list of preparations - am I right? (VTC_CiViC)

"300hp is a joke"? - meaning not feasible, or easy?
I would like around 250 hp. I don't even care, I just want a boost I can feel without spending $10k
Old 12-02-2003, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Easy.

All I have is most of a Revhard kit (slightly larger turbo), 440's and Hondata.. 244whp @ 6psi, 10psi should be right at the 300whp doorstep, mind you i'm running a 2.5" DP and a tiny 2.3" catback
Old 12-02-2003, 08:30 AM

See, one of the problems is I don't know enough to be messing around with air/fuel etc. myself, as with a Hondata type program where a lot of things can be manipulated. What type of management or fmu do you think I would benefit from?
Old 12-02-2003, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, you don't need to do anything yourself regarding the tune. Find yourself a good tuner and let them take care of business.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:07 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTC_CiViC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Easy.

All I have is most of a Revhard kit (slightly larger turbo), 440's and Hondata.. 244whp @ 6psi, 10psi should be right at the 300whp doorstep, mind you i'm running a 2.5" DP and a tiny 2.3" catback </TD></TR></TABLE>

If he is putting down that much power at 6psi with a 2.3" exhaust then a full 3" and a little more psi will get you all the way to 300. I have read that going from a regular size catback to a thermal or other 3" system has yielded AMAZING gains anywhere from 15 to 40 HP.
Old 12-02-2003, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey bro, If I was you I would listen to "VTC_CiViC" because look at his setup. From what he has told you. He has some nice power from almost nothing at all. Lastly; you dont want to spend 10k. Dont even think of it like that because before you know it you have spent almost 10k before you know! Trust me! been there twice!
Old 12-02-2003, 12:38 PM
TurboJesse

Default Re: turbo'ing my GS-R, list of preparations - am I right? (rocket256)

ive spent under 3,000k and i have over 300whp...on a b16 too unfortunately i want more
Old 12-02-2003, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo'ing my GS-R, list of preparations - am I right? (Mpir3)

As they say; HP aint cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-02-2003, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo'ing my GS-R, list of preparations - am I right? (rocket256)

u can go w/ 10 to 1 CR pistons but u wont be able to push alot of boost.
9:1 it better. u can lower ur compression just by using a different 3 layer head gasket.

u want big down pipe and exhaust. 3" all the way back
APR head bolts. use cometic headgasket.
550 inj at least
good turbo manifold like inline pro or full race

stay w/ ur stock cams and cam gears are not necessary.
stock GSR mani is ok to use also. depends on how much money u want to spend tho.

get hondata and stay away from FMU if u can afford it.
and tune, tune, tune.

good luck
better save for a stronger clutch and axles too.

Old 12-02-2003, 09:21 PM

Default Re: turbo'ing my GS-R, list of preparations - am I right? (stick)

Don't want the hp that much that I will sacrifice my a/c in the summer w/ a 3" pipe. Also, I think I am willing to spend about $5k (installed if necessary).
Old 12-02-2003, 10:56 PM

i think 5k should be enough..
rc 550's-290 importparts.com
t3/t4 60 trim-550 cheapturbo.com
hondata 200B-350-800 (depending on where and what options)
Good turbo mani-400-800( more if u want bad *** ons)
Bov-200(for most)
Tial 38mm wg-220 or so
msd w/coil-300 at most
fuel rail-200 at most
FPR-80-180
walbro pump-100
68mm TB-290
so about 4k high side
and i think that would be it lemme know if i missed some thing also if u keep your eyes out on here u can find a bunch of good deals
Good luck
Old 12-03-2003, 12:53 AM

just curious-- is a new fuel rail and fpr really necessary? Also, would 440 injectors suffice if he gets the Walbro 255 hp fuel pump? I've also heard people getting away with cheaper homemade turbo manifolds. Also, is the msd necessary or just nice to have? I am interested in this stuff for future reference.
Old 12-03-2003, 12:59 AM

Default Re: (92TEGsrSC)

I say all this because in my JRSC setup I have the hondata, walbro 255 hp fuel pump, RC 440 injectors, and am running a 2.5" carsound cat and Apexi WS exhaust. I had always thought that if I went with a moderate turbo setup (and by moderate I mean a setup that I could run initially at 6psi and then eventually up to 10psi with no additional worries), I wouldn't have too many things to buy other than the strictly turbo goodies (ie. tubo, turbo mani, wastegate, blow off valve, and downpipe). Was I wrong in thinking this???
Old 12-03-2003, 04:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92TEGsrSC)

Hum.... well your on the right track.

well 200-300whp setups are hell easy now and days with what is out on the market and with descent turbo kits out there.

7psi on a regular drag/revhard kit and you'll be in the 240whp'ish.
Listen to Dave (VTC_CiViC) he know's his *****!

no need for fuel rail unless your running like 550+injectors or looking to make more thank 350-400whp!

also no need for new cams or anything. If anything do a compression check, if numbers look good than slap on the turbo kit. Also think about timing belt and water pump too. get a intake fuel pump...WALBRO.

get hondata

lose the fog lights cause a FMIC looks 548784654515446,547684,86674 better LOL

any more questions?
Old 12-03-2003, 05:33 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CrazyModGSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't want the hp that much that I will sacrifice my a/c in the summer w/ a 3" pipe. Also, I think I am willing to spend about $5k (installed if necessary). </TD></TR></TABLE>

You could run a 2.5-3" downpipe like me and keep a/c It flares to 3" after a/c and then mates to 3" exhuast

Also 5k is plenty, To give you an idea currently im @ $3,200 this includes turbo kit, gauges, exhuast, everything, next is hondata/injectors and tuning. This will put me right around $4100 for a nice custom kit, hondata/injectors and hopefully 300 whp
Old 12-03-2003, 06:19 AM

Default Re: turbo'ing my GS-R, list of preparations - am I right? (quikB18B)

Sounds good, but it seems like the $4k mentioned above would be with stock internals. I am afraid of doing this and blowing my engine. I've been told I'll also need to lower compression with a different sized copper head gasket. Also, perf pistons, rods, etc. That's the only thing I dislike about boards is one person will say it's OK to run 6-8 psi on stock internals, and another says def change internals from the start. Also, is hondata really what I should be looking for? Isn't it a pretty advanced program for serious tuners? Remeber, I am a noob, lol
Thanks much
Tim
Old 12-03-2003, 06:29 AM

Also, is buying parts of ebay ok if the seller has good feedback? Seems like I could save a decent amount of money this way. Should I buy any parts used, or only new? Also, should I buy the turbo as a kit or piece by piece? If I buy a kit, what would you recommend for brands? Seems like Drag and RevHard are good.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:37 AM

Look basically yes you said it yourself you are a n00b, everyone has different opinions, but searchign yourself will help you make your decision. Hondata is not an advanced system, you wont tune it yout tuner will. It is cheap, reliable, and proven.

If your worried and scared of blowing your motor then you shouldn't go turbo, because built or stock you still have the possibility of the motor going. Read my sig it says it all.

When it comes to what psi you can run it all depends on the fuel management, turbo size, tuner, your goals, ect.... On stock gsr motor with bandaid fuel setup i would run no more than 7 psi, If your tuned on hondata i would say 10 psi is a good average figure to go with.

All im saying is that since your a noob building a motor and turbo kit if you dont know what your doing isn't a smart move. Start with a basic kit/stock and learn the ins and outs, and go from there. Why waste a stock motor? Get the most out of it and then when it goes you can build it.

Btw most ebay turbo parts are ****, they sell those crappy manifolds and downpipes. Do it right the first time and don't be a cheap ***.

If you decide to get a kit, you cant go wrong with Revhard
Old 12-03-2003, 06:41 AM
TurboJesse

i run 14-15psi stock internals with pump gas...6-8psi was something people said years ago when a FMU was considered engine managment.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:41 AM

That's why I'm asking questiona, because I'm a noob and I want to learn the ins and outs of a turbo setup, so I have a clue of what I'm doing before I install the kit/have it installed. I mean doesn't everybody have to start somewhere? Didn't everyone with a turbo'd GSR have to, at one point in their life, learn how a turbo works. Weren't you all in my position at one time or another?
Old 12-03-2003, 06:44 AM
TurboJesse

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CrazyModGSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That's why I'm asking questiona, because I'm a noob and I want to learn the ins and outs of a turbo setup, so I have a clue of what I'm doing before I install the kit/have it installed. I mean doesn't everybody have to start somewhere? Didn't everyone with a turbo'd GSR have to, at one point in their life, learn how a turbo works. Weren't you all in my position at one time or another?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes thats why everyone is saying, do a compression test, see if you stock motor is fine, if it is throw on a turbo kit and hondata and call it a day for now, no need to worry about internals/cams etc Keep it simple.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo'ing my GS-R, list of preparations - am I right? (Mpir3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mpir3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yes thats why everyone is saying, do a compression test, see if you stock motor is fine, if it is throw on a turbo kit and hondata and call it a day for now, no need to worry about internals/cams etc Keep it simple.</TD></TR></TABLE>

YES perfectly said. the way i see it is if you are new to turbo your really sould:

1) compression test to see if motor is healthy. if so proceed with turbo kit installation and get hondata with low boost (under 10psi) for now.
2) do more reasearch as you boost.
3) as your boosting you'll run into problems, issuse that you'll need help on and it will be a learning expericne.
4) for serious mods like pistons, cams, rods, sleeves you should feel very very confident about trouble shooting your problems 1st before any of these mods. The more power you make the more complicated it gets.

I personally think it's best to have the knowledge 1st before the power. i would rather drive on a stock gsr motor boosting saftly 8psi daily driven for 1-2years and learn from problems along the way then BE ABLE to boost 12+psi on a built motor and not know what the heck is going on inside.

it's not a race.

if you want 250whp it should cost you no more than 4k tops for a decent setup, hondata, fuel componets and tuning for reliablity. 250whp and 200tq in a 2600lbs car is more than plenty for most new boost newbies you'll feel like your car is the "SHizznIt and go looking for races.. haha"

let me know if you have anymore questions

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: turbo'ing my GS-R, list of preparations - am I right?