Notices

Turboing my D15

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2002, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turboing my D15

My goal is to have a turbo b18b, but for now I'd like to have a little fun with my 1.5. I'd like to use a process similar to the one here http://coolazz.tripod.com/turbo.html . Here are the parts I'd like to use

T3 turbo maybe t3/t4 so I can reuse it on the b18.
Revhard manifold if they make one for the d-series. Are there any others where I can use the T3?
Simliar charge pipes found in the link.

Now I have a few questions

Which FMU will I need to use?
Will I need some sort of a/f controller? i.e. Apex'I s-afc
What downpipe can I use?
Will I need to upgrade my fuel pump or injectors?

Many of the parts I'd like to reuse when I do swap the motor. After the swap I'm going to get Hondata with the larger injectors. This is on my 5G Civic coupe with 94k miles on it. Are there any other precautions I need to take before turboing?

[Modified by FineYoungCannibal, 9:52 PM 5/15/2002]
Old 05-15-2002, 06:27 PM

Default Re: Turboing my D15 (FineYoungCannibal)

Anyone?
Old 05-15-2002, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

run a 12:1 vortech fmu, bosch inline fuel pump, possibly new injectors maybe 310s, apexi s-afc is a nice add- on to have, and as far as a downpipe and manifold try to stick with the same name for both. example, if you want to change out the parts from your 1.5 to a 1.8 on down the line, if you use a drag mani and drag dp, you will only have to replace the manifold, just get a new 1.8 manifold and your i/c piping will still bolt on perfectly as well as your dowpipe. this is applicable to other brand names of course also. before you turbo, make sure your engine is in good condition- doesnt smoke, break down frequently, leak oil, leak coolant, etc etc. also at 90k make sure you replaced your water pump and timing belt previously. good luck on your goal
Old 05-15-2002, 07:58 PM

Default Re: Turboing my D15 (GudeH23a)

yo just get an hx manifold and then get a t3 flange and weld it on...done....manifold for 50 bucks......then just take ur car to a muffler shop and hhave thhem weld u on up...take em like an hour and will b cheap....tie it into ur exhaust.....do a search on that manny job.....i mean if it was me and i knew i was goin to b series down the line....i would do this....dont spendthe loot for two mannys
Old 05-15-2002, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turboing my D15 (T3T4DA6)

yo just get an hx manifold and then get a t3 flange and weld it on...done....manifold for 50 bucks......then just take ur car to a muffler shop and hhave thhem weld u on up...take em like an hour and will b cheap....tie it into ur exhaust.....do a search on that manny job.....i mean if it was me and i knew i was goin to b series down the line....i would do this....dont spendthe loot for two mannys
hf (typo)...the problem I've found is that these are actually getting scarce because everyone wants one for a ghetto-turbo (me included until recently). You can find them with some ease, but they're more like $50, then another $50 for a decent flange...and if you want a mandrel bent dp, it'll be a good hundred just for that, atleast.
Not shitting on the idea, just sayin I think it costs a bit more, since I've been lookin into it.
Old 05-16-2002, 05:33 AM

Default Re: Turboing my D15 (GudeH23a)

I've never had any problems with breaking down or leaking fluids. The timing belt and water pump haven't been replaced. Should I do this? I really don't want to dump the money into those parts since I'd like to get a new motor within a year. How hard is an inline pump to install? I'd like to avoid the injectors for now and get the better ones after the swap.
Old 05-16-2002, 06:15 AM

Timing Belt immediately
Clutch also going to be needed
BOV
Wastegate

Did you ever find a manifold that is already made! I had a D15 and it ran hard!! I mean I would tear the **** out the car auto-xing and the next day, it would fire up and be happy to see me, great motor, never seen or heard of one being turboed though.
Old 05-16-2002, 06:42 AM

First of all, I just have to say...SAVE YOUR MONEY...wait till u do the swap, then turbo it..the money u save by not having to fabricate two different downpipes, and a different manifold, etc... can go toward something else, more important...

also, a T3/T4 would work great for a B18, but not for a D15! u'll have lag out the ying-yang with such a small displacing engine...

so I say, wait...have patience young grasshopper...
Old 05-16-2002, 07:10 AM

Default Re: Turboing my D15 (TheSwift1)

First of all, I just have to say...SAVE YOUR MONEY...wait till u do the swap, then turbo it..the money u save by not having to fabricate two different downpipes, and a different manifold, etc... can go toward something else, more important...

also, a T3/T4 would work great for a B18, but not for a D15! u'll have lag out the ying-yang with such a small displacing engine...

so I say, wait...have patience young grasshopper...

i agree with what swift says but, if u have laying around 500 bux, u could beat the hell out of ur dx as long as the motor last basically, u can also get flex piping from pep boys, and make a dp out of that and thhen wrap it in thermo tec-so no one will know its flex pipinig......but u will not make as much power with the d15b7-8 block than a b16a,b18ab,b18c etc....check out this link.....for inexpensive thrown ttogether turbo kits tthat make power-

**** i lost the url, but its on here somewhere on the fi board...somone was just discusssing it.
Old 05-16-2002, 07:12 AM

hahha itss righht on thetop of the page.....im a loser

thhe url for the site i mean
Old 05-16-2002, 09:02 AM

Default Re: Turboing my D15 (TheSwift1)

I'm not going to fabricate anything. I'm just going to buy a manifold and downpipe made for the d-series.
Old 05-16-2002, 09:04 AM

I know I won't make the power of the b motors, but that's not what I'm going for. All I'm trying to do is have some fun with my DX until I put the motor out to pasture. I thought about getting N2O, but I want the power there all the time.
Old 05-16-2002, 09:08 AM

Default Re: Turboing my D15 (TURBOED-TEG)

I forgot about the wastegate. If I get a Tial will I be able to reuse it on the b manifold? I know I'll need a clutch since the original is still in place. I'll probably wait until it is really worn to replace it though. How much is it to get a new timing belt? I know it's way past time to get a new one. BOV I'll try to get a quality one so I can reuse it also. Any suggestions?
Old 05-17-2002, 03:16 PM

Anyone have a reponse to my last post?
Old 05-17-2002, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes
Old 05-17-2002, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turboing my D15 (rjardy)

Why don't you just spend the money on the b18 now and get the turbo for that later... why waste the money on this motor?