Notices

Turboing a 98 LS Integra, need some advice. First post ever! thanks guys!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2001, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turboing a 98 LS Integra, need some advice. First post ever! thanks guys!

I just want to make sure that this will be totally safe. Firstly please note that ultimate speed and power are not my main goals. My goals are as follows:

1) Make a decently quick car
2) Make it 100% Reliable.

So here's what I have been looking into and I've gotten mixed results from Honda-Acura.net on weather or not it will truely be safe.

I am looking into a Drag Gen3 kit and keeping everything on it just like that, running 6PSI instead of 7 and I'll change the wastegate to a Tial Wastegate, put a boost controller (to ensure it runs at 6) and that's basically it. I will put a new ACT Clutch on it and new plugs and wires (stock, they burn colder).

Is that all I need to keep this car reliable? Some people mentioned at low boost it would be 100% fine and some mentioned standalone ecu setups, s-afc's + tuning and larger injectors, etc... even for this low amount of boost. Should'nt I only do that if I am gonna up the boost?

What I am thinking is doing what I said above and a few months later putting some 370cc/min injectors on just in case and maybe a fixed FPR w/ the S-AFC and have it dyno tuned just to be safe. But that would be down the road, would my car be safe in the meantime?
Thanks in advance guys - sorry for the lenghty post - expecially for my first post.
Old 11-11-2001, 08:47 PM
New User

Default Re: Turboing a 98 LS Integra, need some advice. First post ever! thanks guys! (antarius)

I am looking into a Drag Gen3 kit and keeping everything on it just like that, running 6PSI instead of 7 and I'll change the wastegate to a Tial Wastegate, put a boost controller (to ensure it runs at 6) and that's basically it. I will put a new ACT Clutch on it and new plugs and wires (stock, they burn colder).
It's the bare min. but it will be fine as long as you don't abuse it and be sure to keep the maintenance up on it.......it should last a while

Oh, and welcome to Honda-Tech
Old 11-11-2001, 10:03 PM

Default Re: Turboing a 98 LS Integra, need some advice. First post ever! thanks guys! (jbsadler)

Thanks man, glad to be reading this forum now.

As far as the setup goes, it'd only be that way for a few months until I got an S-AFC, 370cc/min injectors, and had it dyno tuned to make sure the a/f ratio is 100% fine.

Then it should be 100% safe, right?
Old 11-12-2001, 09:34 AM
New User

Default Re: Turboing a 98 LS Integra, need some advice. First post ever! thanks guys! (antarius)

370's might be a little big for injector's.......I would suggest 310's with a 8:1 FMU disk instead of the 12:1 disk that comes with the Vortech FMU
Old 11-12-2001, 11:40 AM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A turbo set up can be completely reliable but its all in the install.. I stress this!! After doing my install I totally understand why that is the most important part.. You can buy the good reliable parts but if they arent installed reliably then they are pointless..

tial wastegate is important to prevent boost creeps that are caused when the deltagates fail.. you will need to run colder spark plugs but u dont need new wires.. you will need a new clutch eventually and u will want to get boost and EGT gauges to keep an eye on things..The oil retun line set up that comes with the kit is pretty shitty, you will want to go the earls fittings and stainless steel lines route to ensure that your oil return is bullet proof..

after you install it take it to a dyno and get an air/fuel reading, make sure there is no detonation.. there really isnt any tuning you can do right now so u just get A/F and horsepower/torque.. other than that I cant really think of anything else.. just dont boost over 8psi on stock injectors and you wont blow your motor or anything.. just remember reliabilily is all in the install, keep it simple to make troubleshooting easier and do it right the first time that way you wont have to go back in and fix ****..

[Modified by DIRep972, 8:45 PM 11/12/2001]