Notices

Turbocharging Questions for 1st time D16 user.

Old 10-23-2016, 09:33 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbocharging Questions for 1st time D16 user.

I know there are probably countless threads out there about turbocharging civics. From the ones I've seen, everyone is always asking the wrong questions for what I'm looking for.

To get into it, I have a 1995 hatchback civic with a d16 engine.

I've never turbo'd a car before so I thought this would be a good start. I am fairly new to the forced induction part of the car world. I don't have much experience in terms of engines with stock internals being boosted so i don't know how much they can handle before going boom. I know how turbos work and how people set them up (forged internals and what not). I will be daily driving this car so it needs to be durable and not crap out on me cause I'm running too high of boost. I know turbo size maters in terms of psi and power so please don't sit there and tell me that. here's a good layout of the stuff I need to know.

I have a budget of about 2k.
I am aiming for 250-300hp (if that's realistic)
What turbo would be recommended to get?
What needs to be upgraded so nothing go's boom or craps out on me?
Will I need to modify any of the existing parts?
Can I use stock computer or do I need to buy aftermarket?
Can I self tune and is that hard?

I'm sure there are questions I'm missing that I will remember later. I'm not looking for a 7 page essay on how I need to do research. I've spent forever trying not find answers and it seems like everyone disagrees on just about everything ("you can run 23psi" "NO! 23 is too high, 8 psi is better") I try to find so I'm just asking and being thorough. Just answer the damn questions and throw in anything else I'm missing. Sorry if I just sounded harsh, this is frustrating.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:39 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default re: Turbocharging Questions for 1st time D16 user.

1. decent
2. not on a stock internal, daily driver
3. i dont
4. this has been covered 10000 times, and isn't tech related. headstuds, pistons, rods, hardware at a minimum on a d/d
5. depends on manifold, intercooler, etc
6. needs to be chipped (again, in every "boost" thread. you have more homework again.
7. with no experience, and on a daily driver, hell no.

that being said, with your budget considered and the fact that this is a daily, id look towards a b18c (gsr/itr), around 200hp stock.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:43 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

REad the damn previous threads as its discussed. To me, it seems your real question was if its possible to self tune. Go read. Tuners don't become tuners at the age of 5. they taught themselves, got certified, T and E.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

not gonna happen for 2k

https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced...2A%2A-1024174/
Old 10-24-2016, 11:53 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaketheepicc
I have a budget of about 2k. For just the turbo setup, this might be enough IF you find good deals on used parts. I'd budget more like $3-4k realistically.
I am aiming for 250-300hp (if that's realistic) It is, but will require a built engine. Stock rods start bending around 240whp.
What turbo would be recommended to get? See links below
What needs to be upgraded so nothing go's boom or craps out on me? A properly built shortblock coupled with realistic goals for it....and good maintenance
Will I need to modify any of the existing parts? Probably..?
Can I use stock computer or do I need to buy aftermarket? Chipped p28, OBD1 p72, or p06 ECU - if you have any of those, you're golden
Can I self tune and is that hard? You can, but it requires buying more equipment and is riskier than letting a professional do it for you

Turbo choices:
GT28 (350HP+) T3 .63 A/R Journal Bearing Garrett Turbo | Evans Tuning
Garrett Turbo charger, T-Series T3 60 Trim : atpturbo.com
T-Series T3/T4E .58 45 trim, 350HP : atpturbo.com
Garrett Turbocharger, T3/T4E, 50Trim Compressor, StageIIITurbine : atpturbo.com
Old 10-24-2016, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaketheepicc
I know there are probably countless threads out there about turbocharging civics. From the ones I've seen, everyone is always asking the wrong questions for what I'm looking for.

Welp, this is going to be ironic, isn't it?
To get into it, I have a 1995 hatchback civic with a d16 engine.

I've never turbo'd a car before so I thought this would be a good start. I am fairly new to the forced induction part of the car world. I don't have much experience in terms of engines with stock internals being boosted so i don't know how much they can handle before going boom.

So you've done no research, cool.
I know how turbos work and how people set them up (forged internals and what not).

So you know they spin and stuff and can blurt out some random words you've seen others use online, cool.
I will be daily driving this car so it needs to be durable and not crap out on me cause I'm running too high of boost. I know turbo size maters in terms of psi and power so please don't sit there and tell me that. here's a good layout of the stuff I need to know.

Lemme quote for you how I just read this "I'm going to DD this, so the turbo choice can't be like over maybe 20+ psi because then my engine may break...oh yeah I know psi doesn't matter for hp goals so don't tell me that cuz I know."

Hilarious, you've completely contradicted yourself here.

I have a budget of about 2k.

Ebay build here we come!
I am aiming for 250-300hp (if that's realistic)

You would know if you would've taken 5 seconds to search
What turbo would be recommended to get?

Search, there are dozens.
What needs to be upgraded so nothing go's boom or craps out on me?

Literally couldn't type into google 'stock d series hp limits' could you?
Will I need to modify any of the existing parts?

refer to above ^
Can I use stock computer or do I need to buy aftermarket?

say it with me 'goooooogle'
Can I self tune and is that hard?

Purely opinion based, but based on the stupidity of your post so far I would say that yes, it will be hard to. Seeing how you couldn't take even 5 seconds to search some of the most basic things required to know for a turbo build, I'm doubtful of your capabilities to complete this build correctly AND tune it yourself. It's been done many times before, and with some searching you would quickly find out that it's mostly about modifying a fuel map at varying loads and rpms to hit target lambdas (air/fuel ratios), and reading plugs/listening for knock with det cans to adjust timing accordingly. It's not THAT hard, but you need to seriously put more effort into all of this if you are going all out DIY.

I'm sure there are questions I'm missing that I will remember later. I'm not looking for a 7 page essay on how I need to do research. I've spent forever trying not find answers and it seems like everyone disagrees on just about everything ("you can run 23psi" "NO! 23 is too high, 8 psi is better") I try to find so I'm just asking and being thorough. Just answer the damn questions and throw in anything else I'm missing. Sorry if I just sounded harsh, this is frustrating.

******* bull-**** bro, you haven't studied for more than 10 mins if that. How do I know? You've contradicted yourself with the whole PSI thing, have asked the most basic questions possible short of 'how does I get morez hpz', and simply haven't put in nearly the amount of effort that I and numerous others have when they got started researching turbo builds. I went up and down the FAQs in forced induction, went through at least dozens of threads searching the internet, made notes and even went as far as trying to calculate specific boost pressures needed and mapping them on compressor maps, only to find out that nobody really does that and for good reason. I'm not usally this much of a dick, but you seriously need to take a step back and realize there's a helluva lot more that you could've done to figure this all out yourself.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:41 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

I'm going to give this a week, then I'm going to close this. This seems to be another "trolling" styled thread. If the OP comes back, great, if not, then he can make another thread with more relevant information