Notices

Turbo Woes

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Woes

Ok, I've been savin for a turbo for about half a year now, and in collage this sh** is hard, no? So i got some questions. I'm a newb, this is my first tune, so gimme some slack if i sound like an idiot. BTW i have a 5th gen USDM Lude.

1. imunna get a either drag gen III or FMAX kit. I want it to be streetable cuz this is a daily ride. To do this I'd hafta bolt it on, and then get rid of any detonation right? Would the units that advance my timing per boost eliminate this? The companies say it will of course, but im strapped here so a blown motor ain't a possibility.

2. Seriously how hard is this sh** to install? I'm pretty well versed in tools, and I've done some stuff, and watched other stuff, but internals will probably destroy me as I've never personally ripped a block apart. Help me out here, In my head i know every step id hafta take, ive seen it in my engine, taken pictures, analyzed everything. But I havent seen the kit in person, so it's kinda hard. What about electronics? Are these thigns hard to install? and lastly...

3. Tuning. How the hell man. I'm SOL when it comes to tuning. I need some1 to tell me how. How dyou know what to put you A/F to? Do the Gtechs work (im probably getting one soon) in place of dynos-- especially with the new ones that give you dyno graphs on my laptop.

All my friends play like they know everything, but really im on my own. I'm the only one whos willing to do serious **** and who doesnt think it takes a great mechanic to install an exhaust.

Help me. I'm a poor and frustrated little ricer. Peace.
Old 11-16-2003, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Woes (chihuahuamanx)

Honestly, just keep saving. If you are already "poor" then just get the hell away from a FI setup. Make sure you have twice as much as you think it is going to cost before you jump in, and upkeep and little miscellaneous things are going end up costing money you don't have.
Old 11-16-2003, 04:32 PM

Default Re: Turbo Woes (Ricey McRicerton)

ok ive got near 1k now, and come the first month of summer ill have the 3k for a kit, so im poor AS OF NOW, but im determined, dont worry. The money i can deal with so long as i know im not going to blow 3.5k AND my motor.
Old 11-16-2003, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Turbo Woes (chihuahuamanx)

well, if you have an h22, itll happen. 3 psi with a bad fuel pump in my sol blew the **** out of the ringlands. make sure your car is in top notch before you attempt something like this.
that, and what Ricey said, have TWICE as much $ on-hand, because the lil things cost more then the big things.