Notices

Turbo/Supercharger owners, BE HONEST

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo/Supercharger owners, BE HONEST

ok, don't brag about your setup, but just be honest.
i got a stock d16z6, will be getting some upgrades (cams, maybe retainers, valves, etc...header, pulleys, ets..) but i was thinking about supercharging or maybe throwing a turbo on my civic, nothing big, like a stage one. now my question is, how long can i expect my engine to last? i don't beat on my car, but i don't completely baby it either. i have just heard things that "oh yeah, they're good until they mess up the engine". i just dont wanna spend that much money to have it mess my stuff up. my car is a daily driver, and about 23k+ miles/year

all help is appreciated

thanks
Old 04-30-2005, 01:58 PM
most hood white kid

tuning is the key to all FI setups. if you tune well, then it will last a while. but why buy a headr if you are thinking turbo?
Old 04-30-2005, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Destroying turbo ITR motors in Minneapolis, MN, U.S.A.
Default Re: Turbo/Supercharger owners, BE HONEST (mountaindewguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mountaindewguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok, don't brag about your setup, but just be honest.
i got a stock d16z6, will be getting some upgrades (cams, maybe retainers, valves, etc...header, pulleys, ets..) but i was thinking about supercharging or maybe throwing a turbo on my civic, nothing big, like a stage one. now my question is, how long can i expect my engine to last? i don't beat on my car, but i don't completely baby it either. i have just heard things that "oh yeah, they're good until they mess up the engine". i just dont wanna spend that much money to have it mess my stuff up. my car is a daily driver, and about 23k+ miles/year

all help is appreciated

thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

Where can I get a Stage One turbo?
Old 04-30-2005, 02:02 PM
most hood white kid

Default Re: Turbo/Supercharger owners, BE HONEST (boostincoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostincoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Where can I get a Stage One turbo? </TD></TR></TABLE>

from a stage one turbo kit..dUh!! :sarcasm:
Old 04-30-2005, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo/Supercharger owners, BE HONEST (egcoupe94)

If properly tuned, you should expect 90% of the NA engine life with a turbo charger...

Why are you spending all that $$ on your head? Put that money into a turbo with a good tune, you don't need to upgrade your head if you are not building your engine... Just slap a turbo on there!
Old 04-30-2005, 02:13 PM
most hood white kid

plus, you can get the greddy kit for around 1500, so just buy that, comes with everything you need. only it comes with the gay bluebox thing and from what I hear, they suck
Old 04-30-2005, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (egcoupe94)

turbos for d series are cheap and put out good power, you will beat just about all n/a cars with swaps with a d series turbo that is tuned right.
Old 04-30-2005, 02:59 PM

Default Re: (Bimmerman)

If you run your car hard, with a small turbo kit, you'll be putting about 50% more pressure on the drivetrain... so probably... 50% less life. If you drive without letting your turbo spool up (aka granny-driving), you're going to get 0% less life, because it acts almost totally like your n/a would.

I put my greddy kit on at 100k. So far, I've had to replace an axle, and I'm about to replace the clutch. I run the car HARD (that's the reason I have a fast car), and so I'm not expecting to get past about 150k with mine. The good news is that if you can do the work yourself, you can just put another used engine/trans in for around 700 when your old one dies.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:01 PM

Default Re: (Aphelion)

Oh and.. don't waste your time with the small modifications, just get a small turbo, it'll be fun without having wasted all that money

Also, try not to use the word "stage" on here :D lol
Old 04-30-2005, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I ran mine til the engine blew. 2 seasons of autox and it exploded at the end of the second. Piston rods are very tiny and one finaly gave way at 8 psi and destroyed the block. But I had always planned on building up a motor so it wasn't a big deal. Just put in a built up d series.
Old 04-30-2005, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Aphelion)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Aphelion &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you run your car hard, with a small turbo kit, you'll be putting about 50% more pressure on the drivetrain... so probably... 50% less life. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you have any evidence that it will only last 50% of the NA life? I know lots of people who beat on their cars and still get tons of miles out of them. If you have a good tune and keep up with the maintinence then you should be fine.

I think the problem is, a lot of times you start out at low boost for a number of months, and it starts to feel slow, so you turn the boost up... and you end up blowing your engine.

Boost is very addictive, my car felt fast for about the first two weeks after I put the turbo on, then I needed to up the boost to get any excitement out of it...
Old 04-30-2005, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Turbo/Supercharger owners, BE HONEST (boostincoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostincoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Where can I get a Stage One turbo? </TD></TR></TABLE>

It's called the Greddy D-series turbo kit w/o the intercooler.

BTW I wouldn't use the blue box aka fmu. I'd get a Hondata S200 or Apexi VAFC but that's me.
Old 04-30-2005, 05:27 PM

MAN!!!! guns dont kill people, people kill people! turbos dont kill motors, detonation kills motors! get a turbo kit. maybe with a tdo5h (thats what i have and thats the funnest ****). just make sure if u aint gonna tune it, up grade ur fuel system (injectors, regulators, fuel pump, maybe bigger rails, high-flow fuel filter) and run it rich. u'll waste little more gas but u dont have to worry about detonations. im not saying u dont have to tune it but i bet about 30% of turbo'ed cars out there never got their turbo cars tuned. thats not to say because they are ignorant, it may just be that they live in Alaska or something and there arent any tune shops around...or something.
Old 04-30-2005, 05:34 PM
H-T White Ops

You need to be a little more vague with your questions. I'd touch the Stage-1 turbo thing but other people have already done that for me.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:08 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ricey's car has been going strong for over a year and a half now.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Turbo/Supercharger owners, BE HONEST (litterbox)

Before you put a turbo on i suggest changing the headgasket, timing belt and water pump.

Headgasket is usually the number 1 thing that always goes when you turbo.

Get it tuned and no problems will show.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:14 PM

Default Re: Turbo/Supercharger owners, BE HONEST (Luserkid)

what exactly do shops do to tune a turbo?

any info on the superchargers? (i kinda wanna supercharge it, considering either way)
Old 04-30-2005, 08:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mountaindewguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what exactly do shops do to tune a turbo?

any info on the superchargers? (i kinda wanna supercharge it, considering either way)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Tuning is basically two things - adjusting timing curves and air fuel ratios. If you want to supercharge your car, I highly reccomend buying my jackson racing kit for $1000 .
Old 04-30-2005, 11:33 PM

Default Re: Turbo/Supercharger owners, BE HONEST (JRciv)

is the jackson kit good on a mostly stock engine?

and shouldn't i upgrade my valvetrain with FI?
Old 05-01-2005, 12:06 AM

You don't need to upgrade valve train necessarily..as long as you stay within stock limits.
Old 05-01-2005, 12:46 AM

Default Re: Turbo/Supercharger owners, BE HONEST (Treblarefils)

i dont think you should even be working on cars.....

you need to read up son.. befoe you even consider a turbo or a supercharger.
Old 05-01-2005, 01:39 AM

Default Re: Turbo/Supercharger owners, BE HONEST (hotrex)

Yeah, seriously. Read up. I don't feel the need to be too helpful because you will learn the most by digging through the archives. How did you get 300 posts? Anyway, to answer your questions - springs/retainers are only for going past your factory redline. Turbos are for racing, I don't think you should go near that. Jackson superchargers are for making your grocery getter quicker than most other cars on the road.

For your situation, I would reccomend getting a used jackson supercharger. You buy it for a grand, throw it on your car, and you're done. You won't have to fool with anything else.
Old 05-01-2005, 01:46 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mountaindewguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok, don't brag about your setup, but just be honest.
i got a stock d16z6, will be getting some upgrades (cams, maybe retainers, valves, etc...header, pulleys, ets..) thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh man, I just had to...

First of all, you only have one cam. Second of all, don't do any form of headwork whatsoever. In fact, don't touch your engine at all. LEAVE YOUR ENGINE ALONE. Don't ever get pulleys unless you are homosexual. Just get the supercharger, if you want more, get an intake followed by a good header and a cat-back exhaust. That is all you need to do. On a side not, I am selling my supercharger and intake together for $1000. I highly reccomend that you buy it.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:27 AM

Default Re: Turbo/Supercharger owners, BE HONEST (JRciv)

first of all, i meant cam. just because i made a spelling error is no reason to touch it.
second, thanks for the comment about not working on cars. it really helped..not....

the reason i ask this is possibly because, oh i dont know, i've never worked on FI setups before???

and why would i NOT put an aftermarket cam on my car? a mild cam offers a decent HP boost (10+)
Old 05-01-2005, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo/Supercharger owners, BE HONEST (hotrex)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hotrex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont think you should even be working on cars.....

you need to read up son.. befoe you even consider a turbo or a supercharger. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree. Please read for like, another year then come back and ask specific questions.