Notices

Turbo street car planning

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo street car planning

Hey everyone. I've decided that I will at some point be building a turbo motor for my DB8 integra. It will possibly still be a DD when this happens. Basically this is what i had in mind, most likely running on Cali pump 91 octane, but it might end up E85 if station pops up in my city, theres only one right now to and from work. I've been thinking of doing a twin scroll setup, with an efficient quick spooling turbo, with fairly high compression 10:1 or higher. Not looking for huge HP, I think id be happy around 350 whp, slightly detuned with a some room to turn up the boost to make 400 whp. I'm not familiar with all the turbo mfgs, and the models/specs so suggestions would be awesome so I can start learning more about turbo design and specs.

Sleeved block - 84/84.5mm bore
GE rods
forged pistons - 10.5:1?
b16, basic head work, appropriate valves,springs, retainers, cams, etc.
p28 with crome
Old 11-19-2013, 08:19 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Turbo street car planning

Please make sure you understand the difference between "twin scroll" and a divided housing, as they are NOT the same. A divided housing is needed to make a twin scroll, but that doesn't make it so. The only true "twin scroll" turbochargers are the Evolution 9 16G6 (which requires a custom flange to your manifold to be done).. or an EFR series turbocharger. Otherwise, stay small, stay T3.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i was unaware of the difference, but now its added to the list of things i need to research, thanks. Any suggestions on trim and A/R? I really would like to understand the concepts and relation of those two values before even spending a dime.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:47 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Neither are the most relevant. they are only mathematical equations regarding the inducer and exducer size of the relationship of the turbine and compressor wheels and their ability to compress air. In order to even determine what's possible, you need ask yourself the following questions as you're researching.

-Budget - (Maximum willingness to spend on the turbocharger itself)

-Purpose - What are you using this particular car for? (Street warrrior, street/strip, road course or circuit?, all out drag racing, etc)

- Fuel - You want 350-400whp on pump 91 octane, that will happen with a larger, laggier turbo. If you have alternative fuel, plan for 300whp on 91 or so, and to go higher with E85 or meth/water when you want to increase boost pressure level.

-Compression - you can do 10.0:1 compression for 91octane, but will require some serious tuning with little error. be ready to have that other knock-resistant fuel ready

- injectors - If you want E85, you must go LARGER than what you'd expect from 91 octane an C16. Once again, CROME more than likely will not have the resolution you need to control them optimally... If you have it already, get rid of it already

*side note*
CROME can work, but I highly recommend other management due to lack of support
Old 11-19-2013, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShodan
-Budget
-Purpose
- Fuel
-Compression
- injectors

*side note*
CROME can work, but I highly recommend other management due to lack of support
Budget is very important when deciding this. That can't be stressed enough. Definitely want to do more planning than experimenting.

Your purpose should be well defined, it will help with suggestions for the turbo size. It will help with determining where you want the power to be and how 'useful' it will be for what you plan on doing.

I thought 93 octane has seen well past 350 hp? Am I mistaken or is there a large difference between 91 and 93 octane? E85 is definitely the new thing to do from what I've been reading. It is the fuel of choice around here but requires more injector to push it out.

Crome is good for basic set ups, I'd say stock motors. When you get into building the motor there is really no reason not to go with S300, Neptune, ect. The tune is the life of your motor. Nothing deserves more attention than the tune. I like crome, I find it has enough features to keep the average DIY street tuner happy. But when it comes to pushing the most power out of a set up, I'd go with more supported engine management. I think most everyone around he will tell you any money you spend on tuning will be well worth it.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah from what I've gathered so far, along with my expectations, E85 will be required. I do know fuel system upgrades are necessary in regards to the fuel pump and injectors to meet the volume requirements for e85.

thanks for the heads up on crome, it came with the car. i guess my first purchase will be software. Any preference of Hondata S300 vs Neptune?
Old 11-19-2013, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I fully agree that the tune is the most important part of a build. I'm in So Cal, so i have a few options of reputable tuners. For the most part, this will be a budgeted build, and i will be buying used parts where i think i can save money, but I wont cut corners. If it takes me 2 years to complete than so be it.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by killer833
I fully agree that the tune is the most important part of a build. I'm in So Cal, so i have a few options of reputable tuners. For the most part, this will be a budgeted build, and i will be buying used parts where i think i can save money, but I wont cut corners. If it takes me 2 years to complete than so be it.
Good attitude. I'd buy the tuning equipment/hardware last. If you are piecing it together, get that done and have your set up made. Then find a tuner and ask what they are comfortable with. Tell/show them your set up and see what they would suggest. S300 and neptune are both great. I wouldn't start a debate here.

What do you mean crome came with the car? It's freeware. Or did it come with a crome pro lisence?
Old 11-19-2013, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Freemananana
Good attitude. I'd buy the tuning equipment/hardware last. If you are piecing it together, get that done and have your set up made. Then find a tuner and ask what they are comfortable with. Tell/show them your set up and see what they would suggest. S300 and neptune are both great. I wouldn't start a debate here.

What do you mean crome came with the car? It's freeware. Or did it come with a crome pro lisence?
i bought the car, and it was already tuned with crome. I was actually thinking reverse of what you said bout tuning hardware. i was going to buy that first, seeing as how the TheShodan said to junk crome as it is, and the car really needs to be retuned soon as it sits. Its a B20 vtec, that came from the high desert 3500ft+ of elevation, which is now at sea level and will be getting a new header.

So starting with the engine management, then selecting the turbo, and purchasing parts that will support the turbo and expectations.