Notices

Turbo setup in works on d-series...please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo setup in works on d-series...please help

hey guys I've searched and read multiple turbo DIY sites but I still have a few questions.

I have found this turbo setup and it includes the following:

1. STD exhaust manifold (doesnt fit b series)
2. 1/2 inch mild steel plate ( has not been cut yet, its for an adapter plate from turbo to manifold)
3. T25 turbo off a nissan (great shape, clean, no shaft play)
4. All chargepiping (i dunno how it all fits together, it came with my greddy kit but i am using something different) All mandrel bends so great airflow
5. Greddy Front mount intercooler (measures 16"X 5.5"X 3") decent shape
6. misc couplings and clamps
7. Oil lines ( oil feed is braided line with fittings)
8. oil pan with oil return line

Now I know I need the down pipe made but what should I do for getting this setup running properly??

I'll be getting DSM 450CC injectors with a resistor box but would I use a FMU? or should I get my friend to write me a program via uberdata?
besides the downpipe, engine management and injectors...am I missing anything else from this list??

please help and thanks

Edit: I know these are n00bish questions but this setup would need to be done within 6 weeks and I still need to replace the piston rings
Old 03-14-2005, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo setup in works on d-series...please help (Mr.RHTuner)

BOV.

And you only need the Uberdata program, no FMU. But you should get a fuel pump.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:27 PM

Default Re: Turbo setup in works on d-series...please help (MooreBoost)

I would put a little bigger injectors in
Old 03-14-2005, 08:10 PM

Default Re: Turbo setup in works on d-series...please help (del_orson)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by del_orson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would put a little bigger injectors in</TD></TR></TABLE>Your injector sice is fine. I'm running dsm 450's in my d16 with no problem. I make 215whp @10psi on stock internals. Those injectors would probably handle about 300whp. As far as fuel management, **** the fmu, they suck after about 6psi. Go with uberdata, hondata, or get a standalone. Someone said fuel pump, that's a must.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo setup in works on d-series...please help (zseeanz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zseeanz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Your injector sice is fine. I'm running dsm 450's in my d16 with no problem. I make 215whp @10psi on stock internals. Those injectors would probably handle about 300whp. As far as fuel management, **** the fmu, they suck after about 6psi. Go with uberdata, hondata, or get a standalone. Someone said fuel pump, that's a must.</TD></TR></TABLE>

did you do anything to your engine prior to installing the kit? like headgasket? replacing piston rings?

whats the average price for a fuel pump?? where would I install that?
Old 03-15-2005, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wouldn't worry about getting a fuel pump... I don't have one and I'm fine ( I guess it depends on your goals) , spend your money on other stuff first...

I know lots of people with d-series turbos that don't have fuel pumps (besides stock)

Go with Uberdata, it's the easiest IMO...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr.RHTuner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">... I still need to replace the piston rings </TD></TR></TABLE>

While you are in there you might as well spend some money upgrading the internals... I mean, if you are going to take the engine out and rebuild it anyways you might as well do some forged pistons and rods at the same time...
Old 03-15-2005, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo setup in works on d-series...please help (EJ1 wilcox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1 wilcox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">While you are in there you might as well spend some money upgrading the internals... I mean, if you are going to take the engine out and rebuild it anyways you might as well do some forged pistons and rods at the same time...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not pulling out the engine

taking head off...oil pan and pulling out the pistons to replace the rings.
This is just a begginers setup so I dont want to go all out on buying internals at this time.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:37 PM

Default Re: Turbo setup in works on d-series...please help (EJ1 wilcox)

A fuel pump is a safe bet. You can pick one up for about $75. The fuel pump is under the rear seats. Pretty str8 forward install. As far as things to do before install, check your cylinder compression to make sure your rings are good and hg is in good shape. Also have some colder plugs, I'd go one or two step colder. Close the gap a little. Mine are gapped at .32. That's about it for now.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

much helpful ino has been said but dont forget that teflon tape and full synthetic oil
Old 03-16-2005, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo setup in works on d-series...please help (b1ackc1v1c)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b1ackc1v1c &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">much helpful ino has been said but dont forget that teflon tape </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks guys.

what would I need teflon tape for?
Old 03-16-2005, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

To wrap around oil fittings.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo setup in works on d-series...please help (MooreBoost)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MooreBoost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">To wrap around oil fittings.</TD></TR></TABLE>
ok ic

I talked to the owner of the kit and I would need to make the adapter for the turbo manifold and make the gaskets.

What would I use to make the gaskets? would copper be good ?

Old 03-17-2005, 04:11 PM
egizzle8

when I change my plugs to a 2 step colder my car ran like a top and was a total night and day difference from the stock plugs that were in it.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you are talking about an adapter to mate the turbo and manifold, you will not be able to do that on your own unless you own a machine to make one. Contact BMCracing to make you one. It's the easiest way out. It's not too expensive anyway. I bought an adapter from him before and paid about $70 shipped.

For management, these are the beginner's options (in order of my preference):

-Uberdata and bigger injectors of at least 400cc size. Easy choice is DSM 450cc with resistor box.
-Apexi S or VAFC with bigger injectors like above
-Stock injectors and 10:1 or 12:1 FMU (sux)

Depending on how you are going to boost, I ran 10 psi on stock motor on the AFC "hack" with stock fuel pump for about a month. For ease of mind, you should upgrade to Walbro 255 LPH intank. Easy install. Go to Sponsor Marketplace. I think Ricky @ wirespeedlab sells it less than $100 shipped. No need for the high pressure version. A normal 255LPH will be fine.

DO NOT FORGET ABOUT COMPRESSION TEST before you install!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...besides the downpipe, engine management and injectors...am I missing anything else from this list??</TD></TR></TABLE>

you already have a downpipe based on the pictures you have up top

Old 03-17-2005, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it looks like the bov and downpipe are both in the pic. i see the oil feed line but is the oil return line hiding? also it looks like the piping from the turbo to the fmic could be tricky since it has that 180 thing on the ic.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo setup in works on d-series...please help (bleh)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bleh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it looks like the bov and downpipe are both in the pic. i see the oil feed line but is the oil return line hiding? also it looks like the piping from the turbo to the fmic could be tricky since it has that 180 thing on the ic.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea I talked to the guy about the BOV and he's keeping it so I'm guessing the DP he is going to keep also.

The downpipe I have a friend that will make me. I have access to a machine shop but what would I exactly need to make the adapter plate for the turbo to exhaust manifold?
Old 03-17-2005, 08:50 PM

Default Re: Turbo setup in works on d-series...please help (egizzle8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egizzle8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when I change my plugs to a 2 step colder my car ran like a top and was a total night and day difference from the stock plugs that were in it. </TD></TR></TABLE>thanx for repeating me
Old 03-18-2005, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr.RHTuner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea I talked to the guy about the BOV and he's keeping it so I'm guessing the DP he is going to keep also.

The downpipe I have a friend that will make me. I have access to a machine shop but what would I exactly need to make the adapter plate for the turbo to exhaust manifold?</TD></TR></TABLE>yea i just noticed that homemadeturbo.com isnt up. you need to find out where all the holes need to go on the adapter plate. not sure but i think using the gaskets for each peice would be the easiest way. then you need to port match... which is a lot of material, i dont know if youve seen the pics before. you also then need all the bolts to hold the manifold to the plate then the turbo to the plate...but im sure you already knew that.

also i think some of the holes need to be countersunk in order for everything to fit... but that depends on the turbo and all that, of which i am not experienced and asking someone elses input