Notices

Turbo setup/Inspection woes, Chemistry gurus wanted

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo setup/Inspection woes, Chemistry gurus wanted

Ok guys trying to get my car through inspection, b18c1/b16 head, stock compression (built) big turbo, big injectors (pte 950) and its been tuned on the street, but still running a little rich. my emmisions were like 1200 and 1600 for hydrocarbons and CO2 levels respectively. I wanted to see if I would have any better luck with a different form of Alcohol.... I used pure etOH for the first run, and obvioulsy its still way too fat. Would I have a better chance of getting it through with say methanol? or Iso-propel? I was looking up combustion reactions online, and trying to see which fuel yeilds less CO2/hydro carbons per mol of fuel. Any insight/advice is much appriciated. Need to get car tagged so we can move forward with things. THanks
Greg.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo setup/Inspection woes, Chemistry gurus wanted

do they check under the hood? i had a similar issue and i ended up pulling a vacuum hose on my intake manifold and i passed with flying colors
Old 05-13-2010, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

They do check under the hood. I will look into this though, I think my Evap can may not be hooked up..... They usually put a prob into the exhaust tip and ask me to rev to like 2200 or so RPM where they gather the readings from.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Bseriescivic5
Ok guys trying to get my car through inspection, b18c1/b16 head, stock compression (built) big turbo, big injectors (pte 950) and its been tuned on the street, but still running a little rich. my emmisions were like 1200 and 1600 for hydrocarbons and CO2 levels respectively. I wanted to see if I would have any better luck with a different form of Alcohol.... I used pure etOH for the first run, and obvioulsy its still way too fat. Would I have a better chance of getting it through with say methanol? or Iso-propel? I was looking up combustion reactions online, and trying to see which fuel yeilds less CO2/hydro carbons per mol of fuel. Any insight/advice is much appriciated. Need to get car tagged so we can move forward with things. THanks
Greg.
Any units on those readings?
Old 05-14-2010, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think its PPM, but im not positive, Let me get those units for you. In either case if you work out the reactions isoproply is the worse at 6mol CO2, then Ethanol, and then Methanol. Ill post up my results later today
Old 05-14-2010, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Remember, that's assuming complete combustion. In reality that never occurs.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Almost got it through on a meth/ethanol mix.... I think im upgrading my engine management system anyway so ill get a temp tag for now and see if the new tune cleans it up. Kinda wishing I had ID1000's lol I hear they are much better with these issues, amoung other advantages as well.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i assume no cat? i can't see any car passing a sniffer without one.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kyden
i assume no cat? i can't see any car passing a sniffer without one.
i did!

dude shoot me your email and ill send a pic of the hose im referring to.... i spent like 2 bucks on a t fitting bought some hose and tucked the hose behind the intake mani and just pulled it it allowed a s ton more air into the engine and i passed and i was like 5x over the limit with ID injectors (750's)

just popped the hose off before going in and plugged it right back up after i went through
Old 05-16-2010, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by azandford
i did!

dude shoot me your email and ill send a pic of the hose im referring to.... i spent like 2 bucks on a t fitting bought some hose and tucked the hose behind the intake mani and just pulled it it allowed a s ton more air into the engine and i passed and i was like 5x over the limit with ID injectors (750's)

just popped the hose off before going in and plugged it right back up after i went through
Car does have a Cat, its a chevy one though. Not sure what ya mean exactly about the vac lines...... They do look under my hood before putting the prob in my exhaust. E-mail is bseriescivic5@yahoo.com

Ill take a look at it.