Notices

Turbo Selection Options: B16/Spoon Cross-mission Trans for Flat Torqueband

Old 06-30-2016, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: Turbo Selection Options: B16/Spoon Cross-mission Trans for Flat Torqueband

Originally Posted by Dark_Teg
If the CTR pulley were to blame why would it kill the two bearings that are the farthest from it? Makes no sense. The nasty harmonics skip bearing 1 and 2 only to destroy 3 and 4?
I agree with that. And my clutch isnt balanced... wont that also cause issues? It has a much larger rotating mass.

Anywhoo.... i am leaning towards baffeling the stock pan like shoden mentioned as the oil return is already figured out and it seals. (The Canton one is nice with the gates and stuff). Then i can have money for a pulley too. I found out the guy at the shop with that pulley was reving well over 10k regularly.
Old 06-30-2016, 04:05 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default re: Turbo Selection Options: B16/Spoon Cross-mission Trans for Flat Torqueband

Clutch not being balanced with the rest of the assembly isn't an engine killer. It's nice to have if you can,but not necessary.

Now you're using your noodle. .. I'll see if I can find the Mugen baffling kit for you to get. You can always have the pan done with a universal set, with a few changes.
Old 06-30-2016, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was going to just get this one

Password:JDM Oil Pan Baffle (B-Series) | Password JDM
Old 06-30-2016, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

On a side note, I did use my noodle today to make a reducer for throttle pedal. Now the pedal only has to travel half its distance to open up to full throttle.
Attached Images  
Old 06-30-2016, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mjalaly
If you can weld it.... IT WILL WORK.
Old 07-01-2016, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

which ATI damper? I don't have AC or PS.
ATI - Super Dampers® for Honda and Acura Engines

looks like the street one is way less cost wise.

Last edited by Mjalaly; 07-01-2016 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-01-2016, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went street its a nice pulley, the power steering portion is removable so like shodan said it should fit no problem

By the way if you go this route call up lighting motorsports they gave me a good deal
Old 07-02-2016, 03:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Geis
Lightning teg actually was the one who inspired me to learn myself, and recommended a great book that's helped me a lot. There's also plenty of info online .
Geis which book?
Old 07-03-2016, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well **** keeps getting worse.... Turbo is shot or needs a rebuild. Way too much play in the shaft.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wait, let me rephrase that, the turbo is fucked! I am going to try to find a cheap replacment hopefully.
Attached Images  
Old 07-07-2016, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am looking at various compressor maps to determine a which turbo fits best. What are you guys generally using for BSFC (assuming 91 octane) and VE on the B16?
Old 07-07-2016, 11:13 AM

I am looking at various compressor maps to determine a which turbo fits best. What are you guys generally using for BSFC (assuming 91 octane) and VE on the B16?
You need to also check the Turbine Gas flow maps, in addition to the amount of pressure drop and ambient degree temperature (Kelvin) of your intercooler type. (which I've already discussed is a major issue in the long run due to it's design. The CX drops over 2-9psi over the exchange ). Otherwise, you're only looking at 2 sides of a Cube. Just a small reminder.

Most here, don't use that as part of their calculations, unfortunately, they go by a "what my brother's-sister's-cousin's build" type of recommendation foundation, so I'll attempt to answer.

Based upon your camshafts of GSR, that will depend upon your Static compression and what else has been done to the cylinder head. Usually no more than .85VE- to .88VE should be used conservatively. For Gas turbine, about 17-22lbs/min exhaust gas is your better bet. Again, depending upon your engine block build bore / stroke. More RPM can help reach similar torque as a block with more bore & stroke, but depending upon your "tuner's choice" of turbocharger, that very rpm can hurt the characteristics a bit, even with a better geared transmission.

I think Tony the Tiger would be more willing to divulge a few more empirical numeric comparisons from his experience as well.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i have about 10 graphs in front of me and i am doing best and worse case scenarios for the numbers including the pressure drop. Lots to consider. Its really hard to compare with the old turbo since i have no clue if things were running right. I also find its hard to get all of the turbine maps for the different turbos.

Oh a good note the ATI damper and baffles showed up. Block is out being inspected (line hone) so things are moving, albeit slowly...
Old 07-07-2016, 11:44 AM

yeah i have about 10 graphs in front of me and i am doing best and worse case scenarios for the numbers including the pressure drop. Lots to consider. Its really hard to compare with the old turbo since i have no clue if things were running right. I also find its hard to get all of the turbine maps for the different turbos.
This is why my comment about your new "tuner" and the concept of blind faith is most relevant. He should also know how to use the GReddy Controller in advance.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how did the turbo fail?
Old 07-07-2016, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2kdrift
how did the turbo fail?
no oil... boom.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

...so you did have oil starvation ...or possible contamination form the damaged bearing...damn hope you have better luck next time. what turbos are you looking at?
Old 07-07-2016, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

...so you did have oil starvation ...or possible contamination form the damaged bearing...damn hope you have better luck next time. what turbos are you looking at?
what i am looking at.... and before anyone starts to boo this, i am trying to fit a nice long flat torque curve not whp. I need something that will do well with lots of turns, track days (high plains raceway) and some autox. lots of boots to fill. Also, I want the lap record at HPR (currently an RS11 Sports Racer has it... and 400lbs less than i do) so which turbo will get me there? I don't know since i really never got to stick to something power wise, then i could have just tuned everything else on the car to get me there.

turbos in the short list

GT2860r
GT2871r
GTX2863R
GTX3067R
GTX3076R
STC hunter turbo

waiting to see what my tuner has for a turbo because of pricing. My wife, rightfully so, is hesitant to give me more money after spending a pile a few weeks ago. But really is spending $5k on a new engine every year so bad?
(i also just bought a very very very expensive mountain bike that i cannot ride because of injuries, from biking of course)
Old 07-07-2016, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sell the bike honda life haha

thats quite a range of turbos, 3076r is a quite a bit different then a gt2860. IMO from what I understand of your power goals 2860 is to small and 3076 too large. I vote hunter

IMO no reason to rebulid an engine once a year thats just race car status, and even then plenty of drag cars dont need to do this
Old 07-07-2016, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

What are the goals? 300-400? I dont see why you would need anything over 45 lb/min
Old 07-07-2016, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sell the bike honda life haha

thats quite a range of turbos, 3076r is a quite a bit different then a gt2860. IMO from what I understand of your power goals 2860 is to small and 3076 too large. I vote hunter5

IMO no reason to rebulid an engine once a year thats just race car status, and even then plenty of drag cars dont need to do this
Race car stauts? Then yes, that's what I have ubless you can prove me wrong.

Also yoh really really over simplified the who turbo thing. Are you sure a big turbo running lower boost wont be better to drive? Or maybe a smaller turbo at higher pressure?
Old 07-07-2016, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Race car stauts? Then yes, that's what I have ubless you can prove me wrong.

Also yoh really really over simplified the who turbo thing. Are you sure a big turbo running lower boost wont be better to drive? Or maybe a smaller turbo at higher pressure?
just ask shodan how many times he needed to rebuild his block over the past 10 years, he tracks his car and hes at a much higher power level then you are.

definetly smaller turbo with higher boost pressure
Old 07-07-2016, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
What are the goals? 300-400? I dont see why you would need anything over 45 lb/min
Is that a torque or whp number?

It's all about having a balanced car. Like dynos, compressors maps only give you an idea of how it will work. You can have two cars on the track with the same weight and whp but produce two completely different feelings because the torque curves are very different, spool up is different, etc.

So to answer your question, I don't know. Not much to go on since the car is so vastly different than most other things.
Old 07-07-2016, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just ask shodan how many times he needed to rebuild his block over the past 10 years, he tracks his car and hes at a much higher power level then you are.

definetly smaller turbo with higher boost pressure
Then that would be a gt2860 right? How do you manage the higher heat with the higher boost? Have you had a chance to drive a car with a bigger turbo on the track? From what my other road race guys say, they like it better.

Yes mac tracks his car and so do i, just because you don't have do doesn't mean you shouldnt. I completly tear down my mountian bike each season (shocks and all) and go though it....Do I have to no but I prefer to, just personal I guess.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:00 PM

I find it a waste of time to tear down if nothing is wrong. There will be plenty of times for something to go wrong during session to worry about that type of breakdown before it's necessary.

I've always overplanned my builds. It doesn't mean I I overspend, I simply concentrate on other areas more than the average. I also make sure things are working properly in-between sessions. This means oil checks, cool downs, running the right intercooler, radiator, etc. PLUS, a little luck. But to tear down every year? Nah, I have other things to do with my life... sorry. .

On an Exocet custom that I was working on this past year, the user had gone from a Miata motor to a B20/VTEC (which was rather different in the Exocet crowd), but was able to match pretty well with the Atoms and other customs that year at both VIR and Mid-America.

Smaller turbo for higher pressure, yes, but you have to make sure that it's "smaller" in the right places. (which means, no 300 lbs/ft of torque on a B16 with any rpm to work with.) GT2860RS is a bit too small for his transmission and altitude. I'd rather go for a slightly more efficient gas turbine map than worry about the compressor so much. But, I've already discussed this with him. Mjalaly now has to perform the calculations he feels best represent him at this point.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turbo Selection Options: B16/Spoon Cross-mission Trans for Flat Torqueband