Notices

Turbo Selection Options: B16/Spoon Cross-mission Trans for Flat Torqueband

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Turbo Selection Options: B16/Spoon Cross-mission Trans for Flat Torqueband

Originally Posted by boosted94gsr
gsr cams are an upgrade from b16 cams, itr or ctr cams are even better you want ones from 00-01 year I believe, but they can be hard to find. Just grab a set of gsr cams, easy to find and cheap.
the ones in my b16 are GSR cams as well. Not sure what year though. Also i am not sure what year this b18 is either.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Selection Options: B16/Spoon Cross-mission Trans for Flat Torqueband

wait... lies. I don't know what cams these are. thoughts? ITR? 96+ GSR?
Attached Images   
Old 02-07-2017, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Mjalaly
wait... lies. I don't know what cams these are. thoughts? ITR? 96+ GSR?
Just pulled this off google...

Old 02-07-2017, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i saw that too but they don't seem to match any of those except the one with the ???
Old 02-07-2017, 10:20 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Those look to be 92-93 B17 GS-R camshafts. Here's the write-up on them from Katman from the true-school FF-Squad:
FFS | Tech -- DOHC VTEC CAM ID
For turbocharging, The difference is negligible for the power level or responsive characteristics you're looking for with the GTX2867R you picked up. The Transmission gearing will be more of assistance than the camshaft in your case.
Polish them up, and keep it movin'.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There are some nicks on one of the cams so they may be shot (someone might not have cared for them well enough). I will see what the machine shop says and go with the better set.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

do any of you guys use something other than exhaust wrap and turbo blankets? I see more and more race teams using more of a heat shield than anything else but they look to be very pricey

TurboSource Turbine Housing Heat Shield - Turblown Engineering

Also, any other changes you guys would make to ensure the bearings survive?

I did pick up a PLX temp sensor to monitor the intercooler temps a bit better.

PS.... and i ma thinking about removing the resinator right after the turbo and just doing a straight 2.5" pipe. Thoughts? Sound vs Power? I really would like to keep everything as quite as possible (and not have some funky drone). You can see if in this pic
Attached Images  
Old 02-09-2017, 07:13 AM

Ceramic coatings, Thermal wraps and blankets.

For bearings, make sure they're a little on the "loose" side, so that heat expansion from FI use keeps them nice and oiled. In 13 years, only replaced one bearing (OEM) and that was after about 20-26 Circuit events. But, I admit, my engine builder does a much better job than I do. I take care of his "spooling" needs, he does my engines. We only use OEM bearings.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So i had a buddy remove the resignator and add a few vbands to make the exhaust easier to remove which is nice. Today I figured that i woukd swap those b18 cams over.... nope!! Not even close to the same. So now i need cams, really anything vtec or aftermarket ones. Any aftermarket ones ACTUALLY worth getting? If they dont make a ton more power than its probably not worth it
Old 02-22-2017, 05:42 PM

For that sized turbocharger, only the GSC T1s and Kelford 176-Ts could do anything. but that also means changing the valvesprings/retainers completely. Which is I know something you don't want to do. (See the thread on GSC T1 camshafts).
So, the best thing to do is find more GS-R camshafts.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
For that sized turbocharger, only the GSC T1s and Kelford 176-Ts could do anything. but that also means changing the valvesprings/retainers completely. Which is I know something you don't want to do. (See the thread on GSC T1 camshafts).
So, the best thing to do is find more GS-R camshafts.
change to What? I have omni retainers and dual valve springs
Old 02-22-2017, 06:05 PM

change to What? I have omni retainers and dual valve springs
Valvesprings (Dual) must have 88-91lbs seat pressure in order to run real turbo camshafts like GSCs or Kelford 176-Ts. (The Brian Crowers are a joke, so save your heard earned money.
"Fully built" doesn't mean anything if you have the wrong spring seat pressures that can cause binding, create uneven wear in the camshaft lobe or ruin the surfaces of the flat tappets that work with the system.
Plus, there is a specific break-in procedure for the camshafts themselves including changing the ignition timing via the computer to be a little higher. And that's before an official tune.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I will try to find some gsr ones.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I might have some GSR cams, let me check when I get home
Old 02-23-2017, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
I might have some GSR cams, let me check when I get home
yeah let me know!
Old 02-24-2017, 03:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah let me know!
Found them but Cyl 3 Intake journal is scored. I dont know if you can just clean that up with some emory cloth or something.

Old 02-24-2017, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i have no clue. PM me with what you want for them
Old 02-24-2017, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

this is what mine look like. maybe not so bad?? Is there a big difference in using ITR cams over GSR cams?? Also is there any benefit to using adjustable cam gears?
Attached Images  
Old 02-24-2017, 06:58 AM

The adjustable cam gears will really only be a benefit if the computer tuning on timing can't get it exactly right. I have found that they are useful in a pinch to already have them.
Here's a little article that you want to read about the various OEM VTEC camshafts. Take a look, and judge for yourself if changing is right for you. Be warned: Finding Good Genuine Type R camshafts will be tough for a good price that you're willing to pay.

The Best Money Cam BuyMeasured @ 1mm lift (maximum)Integra Type-R(Through 1999 Spec)
Int-240 dur. / 11.5mm lift
Exh-235 dur. / 10.5mm lift

Valve Springs to be used: Stock B16A/GSR if using stock 8200 re-limit. Integra Type-R if using rev limit over 8200rpms. Mugen Valve Springs can also be used.
Descripti on: These are great, reliable cams for the money. You can pick up a set for as little as $500.00 new if you are lucky! They will give good gains from midrange all the way until 8400rpms. These cams have stock idle character istics.

Civic Type-R And Integra Type-R(Integra Type R 2000/01 Spec)
Int-243 dur. / 11.5mm lift

Valve Springs to be used: Stock B16A/GSR if using stock 8200 re-limit. Integra Type-R if using rev limit over 8200rpms. Mugen Valve Springs can also be used.
Descripti on: These are great, reliable cams for the money. You can pick up a set for as little as $550.00 new if you are lucky! They will give good gains from midrange all the way until 8400rpms. These cams have stock idle character istics.

Skunk2 Tuner 1
Int-252 dur. / 11.5mm lift
Exh-249 dur. / 10.8mm lift

Valve Springs to be used: Stock B16A/GSR if using stock 8200 re-limit. Integra Type-R if using rev limit over 8200rpms. Skunk2 Valve Springs can also be used.
Descripti on: These are very underrate d cams. They do cost around $100-$200 more than the Type-R cams but they also offer much more duration and will give more power than the Type-R cams. Similar power range of Type-R cams but stronger throughou t the higher parts of the power band. This is a great set of cams for a budget minded B16A owner. These cams have stock idle characteristics.

My suggestion: If you're going to try and go above GS-R camshafts, find some Skunk2 Tuner 1s (Not Pro1) or Edlebrock 4730s. They are just a touch above the 00-01 ITRs and will do fine. They will even work with your current valvetrain. But this time, get a competent tuner, even if it means using the trailer to go out of the state. You've gone through enough already.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The adjustable cam gears will really only be a benefit if the computer tuning on timing can't get it exactly right. I have found that they are useful in a pinch to already have them.
Here's a little article that you want to read about the various OEM VTEC camshafts. Take a look, and judge for yourself if changing is right for you. Be warned: Finding Good Genuine Type R camshafts will be tough for a good price that you're willing to pay.

The Best Money Cam BuyMeasured @ 1mm lift (maximum)Integra Type-R(Through 1999 Spec)
Int-240 dur. / 11.5mm lift

Descripti on: These are great, reliable cams for the money. You can pick up a set for as little as $500.00 new if you are lucky! They will give good gains from midrange all the way until 8400rpms. These cams have stock idle character istics.

Civic Type-R And Integra Type-R(Integra Type R 2000/01 Spec)
Int-243 dur. / 11.5mm lift

Descripti on: These are great, reliable cams for the money. You can pick up a set for as little as $550.00 new if you are lucky! They will give good gains from midrange all the way until 8400rpms. These cams have stock idle character istics.

Skunk2 Tuner 1
Int-252 dur. / 11.5mm lift
Exh-249 dur. / 10.8mm lift

Valve Springs to be used: Stock B16A/GSR if using stock 8200 re-limit. Integra Type-R if using rev limit over 8200rpms. Skunk2 Valve Springs can also be used.
Descripti on: These are very underrate d cams. They do cost around $100-$200 more than the Type-R cams but they also offer much more duration and will give more power than the Type-R cams. Similar power range of Type-R cams but stronger throughou t the higher parts of the power band. This is a great set of cams for a budget minded B16A owner. These cams have stock idle characteristics.

My suggestion: If you're going to try and go above GS-R camshafts, find some Skunk2 Tuner 1s (Not Pro1) or Edlebrock 4730s. They are just a touch above the 00-01 ITRs and will do fine. They will even work with your current valvetrain. But this time, get a competent tuner, even if it means using the trailer to go out of the state. You've gone through enough already.
I thought we determine that the cams I have are ITR ones. I don't see why my Omni valve train (retainers, dual springs) wouldn't work with stock cams. I also have a trailer now ; )

Shodan, I also shot you an intercooler core question but I am not sure if you got it.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:28 AM

I thought we determine that the cams I have are ITR ones. I don't see why my Omni valve train (retainers, dual springs) wouldn't work with stock cams. I also have a trailer now ; )
I recall this from earlier in the thread.

Those look to be 92-93 B17 GS-R camshafts. Here's the write-up on them from Katman from the true-school FF-Squad:
FFS Tech -- DOHC VTEC CAM ID
For turbocharging, The difference is negligible for the power level or responsive characteristics you're looking for with the GTX2867R you picked up. The Transmission gearing will be more of assistance than the camshaft in your case.
Polish them up, and keep it movin'.
I didn't see any change in determination from that point on from what I'm reading on this thread. Perhaps I missed something?

Shodan, I also shot you an intercooler core question but I am not sure if you got it.
Yep. I got it and answered that for ya. You may need to refresh your inbox or make sure it's not in a junk /spam folder just in case.

Last edited by TheShodan; 02-25-2017 at 08:12 AM.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I recall this from earlier in the thread.

I didn't see any change in determination from that point on from what I'm reading on this thread.. Perhaps I missed something?

Yep. I got it and answered that for ya. You may need to refresh your inbox or make sure it's not in a junk /spam folder just in case.
you are right on the cams. I had the machine shop check mine out just in case. They said they were fine and in 1hr I had polished cams.

now I just need to find a damn clutch alignment tool!!

Last edited by TheShodan; 02-25-2017 at 08:12 AM.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you have an extra b series input shaft laying around, that works too
Old 02-25-2017, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

benefit of polishing cams? looks?

dont forget your o-ring on the center cam cap
Old 02-25-2017, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
If you have an extra b series input shaft laying around, that works too
yeah I don't. Bummer

Quick Reply: Turbo Selection Options: B16/Spoon Cross-mission Trans for Flat Torqueband