Notices

Turbo Seal Blown > Restrictor Needed? > or Valve Seal Problem? HELLLPP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Seal Blown > Restrictor Needed? > or Valve Seal Problem? HELLLPP!!!!

Built a motor...for about 6 months the motor was assembled and sittin on my stand....today i started it up..... ( LS block/ gsr head / 60-1 ITS Turbo, heads been machined....i dont remember if the valve seales were changed or not...but if they were bad i told them to change it .....and if they were good i told the shop to leave it alone)

anyway i come to start the motor today...it fired up good....in a matter of a couple seconds...i saw oil dripping under the turbo (thought it was my drain) turned out the oil was coming out of the flange on the downpipe and exhaust housing....

couple people said i need a RESTRICTOR for my feed line because i got too much oil...then someone told me my head is fucked up and that its leaking oil from my head....i went ahead and took off the turbo and the manifold and on the 2 ports closest to my distributor....only on the EDGE was a bit of oil but not when i stuck my finger in the back of the port....(not fuel with burned carbon to make it look like oil) but the oil that had come out of port was NOTHING compared to how much oil came out of the turbo/downpipe

so i cleaned the ports and put a STOCK set of headers on the car and capped off the return and feed line on the turbo...i started the motor up....i let it run for a couple minute and took the headers off....a little bit of oil on 1st port closest to distributor.....cleaned it off and did it again put the headers on turned it on turned it off and checked again some oil on the edge but this time there was a small line of oil leading to the back of the port....

I also took the 1st spark plug off and checked to see if the oil might be coming from the piston and the plug was bone dry...

Couple questions.....

1. do i need a restrictor for this turbo and is that why it went crazy and started dripping oil...?

2. did it blow the seals on my turbo? or did it just get over fed with oil

3. with the problem being described this way do i have a valve seal leak? and (and its ONLY on the valve to the left that the line of oil was leading too)

Here are some pix

The Return Was Not crimped anywhere so it couldnt have been oil return backing up

A Shot of the oil coming out of the turbo

picture of the turbo and setup

picture of the feed line with the adaptor but i obviously do not have a restrictor

Modified by 92jdmhatch at 12:07 PM 10/1/2006
Old 09-30-2006, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Turbo Seal Blown > Restrictor Needed? > or Valve Seal Problem? HELLLPP!!!! (92jdmhatch)

well if more oil is leaking from the turbo than the little bit from the head then we know the problem you need to get fixed first is the turbo.

i would try a restrictor, you can either buy one or make one. if you plan to make one, get a brass fitting, braze it shut and drill a 1/16" hole in it.

atp turbo makes one, or call the place you got your turbo from and ask them if they can help out with where to get one.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Seal Blown > Restrictor Needed? > or Valve Seal Problem? HELLLPP!!!! (92jdmhatch)

where are all the crazy technical people on h-t here?

is all we have left appearance/cosmetic and events and meets?

Old 10-02-2006, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just went through this. I checked everything and since my line is similar to yours it kind of runs parallel to the floor when it entered the pan, my car was lower in the front then in the back by 1 inch + I think my line needed some stretching as it was kind of long and allowed a slight dip causing back (I assume). TO say the least I got a straight barbed fitting on the pan, I got a fitting/flange (comes together and eliminates the blue fitting you thread into the drain under the turbo to attach your line) gives you more clearance so there is a better angle, oh and I raised the front of the car to even it out. I took it out and there is no drip. Check out the thread I just did on it I have pics of the mayhem. Good luck

Here is the thread
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1767367
Old 10-02-2006, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92jdmhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">where are all the crazy technical people on h-t here?

is all we have left appearance/cosmetic and events and meets?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

what kind of anwser are you looking for?

if a turbo is leaking check the drain and if that does not fix it try to use a feed restrictor. in some cases, if the crankcase is under alot of pressure because of blow by then the turbo will have a hard time draining.

if none of those are your problem send the turbo in..

there are no uber technical people anwsering because its not a hard thing to figure out.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Seal Blown > Restrictor Needed? > or Valve Seal Problem? HELLLPP!!!! (y7turbo)

are u sure its not condinsation? i have the same leak, but from i can see its condinsation, it drips on the ground and i touch it and rub my fingers, doesnt feel like oil, it could be the watery condinsation mixed with the black exhaust soot, thats how mine is, plus i can see lil rust from the moisture forming, i can show a pic if u like, its been bothering me also thinking it was oil cause i had 2 leaks, one from the exhaust side from the clocking bolts and i from there i believe it was actually oil, think it was my fault cause i didnt tighten down the clocking blots tight enough, then cleaned it up and havent really seen any leakage from that side, but now i get a leak from the down pipe side. ill just post the pic, and my is a week old turbo. i also have a restrictor

******* TURBOS!!!!
Old 10-03-2006, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Seal Blown > Restrictor Needed? > or Valve Seal Problem? HELLLPP!!!! (SPNFEDEH)

okay...got some more information......

i took the turbo to innovative and had them check it out...they put it on their tester.....ran it at 80psi and the turbo is perfectly fine....

they told me 97 out of 100 times this problem is from the drain...so i decided...i will cut the line shorter....and run a 45 deg fittin from the oil pan and have the line come str8 down.....

turne the car on....same problem....i can literally see oil SHOOTING out the downpipe.....

my next guess would be that....the fittin that is welded onto the oil pan doesnt seem to be str8 across from outside to inside the oil pan....it seems to be more going downward on the outside of the pan and going upward going inside the pan....so maybe that might be the problem?

what i did is take off the oil pan and i am going to take it to a shop to have them relocate this piece and fix it...we will see wut happens here....

anyone with any ideas?
Old 10-04-2006, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

try a oil restrictor. Honda's push wayyy too my oil pressure than whats needes for turbo supply. Most honda engines push 50psi@3000 rpms, Most seals will leak or fail near this pressure. Also make sure your oil return, doesnt have any kinks and make sure its free flowing all the way to the oil pan. It needs to be at an agle of the way w/ no level or down hill spots. Good Luck

also, take your return line off and make sure you see oil draining from it.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have that same turbo, that im putting on my ls. i asked ITS bout a restrictor and they told me i dont need one. just keep the oil pressure between 35-100 psi. but my oillines came with one on it. so ill see how it goes
Old 10-05-2006, 02:17 PM

Default Re: (turbo_ls_69)

you might need to look into the function7 oil drain flange. it'll raise your return about an inch
Old 10-07-2006, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Chris22215)

any updates I am trying to get this thing resolved also.