Notices

Turbo Sand rail

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 03:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Sand rail

Hey guys,
I have a 3.2 vtec in my sand rail and I was thinking about bolting on a turbo for it. Any suggestions on a kit.

Thanks
Old 09-06-2013, 04:21 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Turbo Sand rail

I saw that in the other forum.. fantastic sand rail..

There's no "kit" for you, unfortunately.. The whole thing has to be fabricated. Turbocharger size is based upon power level you want out of this thing (an actual power goal). PSI doesn't mean squat until you have some idea of power level and fuel you plan to use.

Give us those specifics and we can go from there.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:40 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

As TheShodan stated. There isn't a "bolt on" solution for you. Nearly every single part will have to be custom fabricated in a one off fashion
Old 09-07-2013, 04:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I want to get a system built for it that will run on high octane pump gas without blowing my motor into pieces, but next year or two I would like to built a motor that can handle a lot more turbo. Friends of mine have different V-6 engines in their rails that I want to do wheelies around. There isn't very many Honda powered sand rails so I want to represent.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:23 AM

Ok. What power level are they at to compete? Since we don't rely know what comparable rails are making in terms of power level and torque, that would be helpful in determining whether or not you need a single turbo, twins, have to build the engine, etc..
Old 09-07-2013, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if thats your plan, then I suggest buidlding the setup you hope to run on your built engine, onto this engine, but turned down in terms of power to keep it from blowing up. that way when you do get to build the new setup youre not having to buy everything again.

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
Old 09-07-2013, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

also, what shodan said. more info on these other rails youd like to keep up with would make things easier

Old 09-07-2013, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it could be done pretty quick and cheap id say. the tuning is the issue. the 6 I imagine could hold 400HP with the stock internals tuned but you gotta buy a stand alone ecu and tune. break out the wallet and upload some pics tho asap. make sure you face the turbo backwards lol or youll be eating sand. nitrous?
Old 09-07-2013, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by m4xwellmurd3r
if thats your plan, then I suggest buidlding the setup you hope to run on your built engine, onto this engine, but turned down in terms of power to keep it from blowing up. that way when you do get to build the new setup youre not having to buy everything again.

That is exactly what I would like to do. Another question for you then; would it be better to go ahead and build a 3.2, like I have now, or a 3.5? If I build the turbo system for the 3.2, would it bolt up to a 3.5? Ok, so I guess I had a couple of questions for ya. I already have an after market ECU from Arizona Performance Imports. So I think I'm ok there.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The other rails are pretty stock. Right now I run right along with them. Nobody really pulls away from the pack , so I want to be the one that does. I have a Mendeola trans so I can easily run 500 to 600 horse without a problem (future). So let's put together a system that could hit that without a problem. Remember I don't want to have to run avgas. What do you think?
Old 09-07-2013, 11:18 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

HickamHatch is parting out his j series build and he custom built a very nice j series turbo manifold. Might ask him about it
Old 09-07-2013, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sir Civic, no nitrous. At least, not right now.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you get lazy do it!
Old 09-10-2013, 01:49 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Nitrous on a sand rail is pointless and given the drastic changes in throttle input it greatly increases the chances for things like nitrous backfires and other destructive issues
Old 09-10-2013, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thread to see what the sandrail looks like and what we have to work with here?

I would say something like a 6262, water to air intercooler, and a good solid tuning solution would be a start. What kind of fuel pump do you have on the rail right now?

Also, probably don't have to point this out, but you'll absolutely 100% need a damn good filter on that turbo in that kind of environment.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok here are some photos. As you can see I have plenty of room to configure about anything I want. Im not sure what kind of fuel pump I have.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that's sweet!
Old 09-10-2013, 07:52 PM

Well, I guess its just just about anything can fit in there. Its really again, a matter of power level desired and what you're willing to spend for turbochargers. I honestly believe that a twin rear-facing setup would be optimal. I remember helping out a few guys in Arizona with a setup like that, and it was pretty cool with two GT3251Bs in tow. Damn thing made over 500-600hp to boot.

Everything from the intercooler piping to manifolds had to basically be fabricated though. So I guess that's where we're at a loss. there's obviously no "kit" available for this. The question is, do you have the resources that can help fabricate for you? Do you have a preference in cost for the turbochargers? wastegates? How you need it setup?

These are things we can't answer for you, unfortunately, as this will be a truly nice and custom setup.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:38 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Well you've basically got a turbo manifold done if you wanted to go single... just cut off the muffler section, add a 90* piece, weld the turbine inlet flange to that and then take the 90 you welded on and add a wastegate flange directly inline with the exhaust flow and there's most of the hard work and biggest expense (next to the turbo and engine management) out of the way
Old 09-11-2013, 02:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Shodan, if I built a twin turbo set up, could I run it on this stock motor for a couple of seasons before I am able to build a new motor? I would love to run twins on it. Ha, where do I begin? I do have a fabricator that will work with me on this, but he has no experience with Honda engines or turbos. How much do you think it would/should cost to build this, including turbos, intercooler, wastegates etc?
Old 09-11-2013, 01:31 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

The j series motors are beefy from the factory

A guy is making 750-800whp on race gas with a single large borg warner turbo a stock j32

You should be fine reliability wise if you keep the power level reasonable and have a really good tuner and consistent fuel blends
Old 09-11-2013, 03:27 PM

No way would I put a large single turbo on there like that.. This isn't some quarter mile race or a single hill climb in 1000 foot sand dune climb in Dubai going for BIG POWWAAA. He's jumping smaller sand dunes all over the place, using the throttle to control power as much, if not more than the steering wheel. He needs instant power to last in the top end. Smaller twins about 50-60 lbs/ min would do that over some large diesel sized turbo
Old 09-11-2013, 04:13 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

You could size a single with a t3 turbine housing (.82) and a larger turbine wheel along the lines of a p trim and have amazing response

He has enough displacement, we aren't talking about a 1.6 liter motor but a 3.2+ liter v6
Old 09-11-2013, 06:51 PM

You don't do rails like this much, eh? No single at 61lbs/min is gonna respond like two small twin snails... Even your precious Z06 would do better than that.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Very true. I do need the quick response for the sand. I am in and out from idle to full throttle constantly, so I think I would like to set up a pair. Now I need recommendations and part numbers. I will start buying everything I need now. Thanks for helping me build this rail.

Quick Reply: Turbo Sand rail