Notices

Which turbo a/r?? .63 or .82

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which turbo a/r?? .63 or .82

I'm kinda stuck on what size a/r to get for the turbine. t3/t4e 60trim with .63 or .82 a/r???

My setup is: b16a2 motor, sleeved block, .50 overbore 9:1 je pistons, eagle rods. head is stock, 780cc injectors, msd ignition, aem ems

I'm looking to push around 350-400whp. I have a drag3 kit but ordering a new garrett turbo. I ordered the .63 a/r but am thinking about changing the order to maybe the .82 Let me know what you guys think. Thanks, sam.
Old 02-21-2003, 09:06 PM

Default Re: Which turbo a/r?? .63 or .82 (BoostedSi)

stick with the .63....
you should be fine......compression is a little low... so i would recomend the .63 over the .82 for that reason
Old 02-21-2003, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Which turbo a/r?? .63 or .82 (b16ahybrid)

thanks...i'll just stick with the .63
Old 02-21-2003, 09:12 PM

i'm runing a 57 trim with a 63 ar on my b16a and love it. I wouldn't trade it for anything. then again i'm runing 10.2:1 compression so my turbo will spool sooner....the .82 will take a while to spool...
Old 02-21-2003, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when do you hit full boost? I just wanna hit full boost by 5000-5500 rpms...about 18-20psi.
Old 02-21-2003, 09:18 PM

I hit full boost about 4k rpm. but thats only .65 bar (9psi).you should be fine hitting full bost by 5k
Old 02-21-2003, 09:19 PM
I am a bad person

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it depends on what you are looking to do with the car. If it is track, the 63 would be best. if it is street then i would go .82. the extra lag is better on the street so you wont rip tires as bad. I always ran a .82 on my street car. you will have a ton of top end with a .82.
Old 02-21-2003, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Which turbo a/r?? .63 or .82 (MotorMatrix.com)

it depends on what you are looking to do with the car. If it is track, the 63 would be best. if it is street then i would go .82. the extra lag is better on the street so you wont rip tires as bad. I always ran a .82 on my street car. you will have a ton of top end with a .82.
why wouldnt the .82 benefit at the track?
Old 02-21-2003, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this will be a mostly street car but driven on the track a couple times a month. I dunno what to get. I just want full boost by 5000rpms
Old 02-21-2003, 09:37 PM

No offense to you but why run a larger a/r on the street? imho a smaller a/r will beinfit you for daily driving...quicker spool = power sooner......why would you want so much top end on the street..it makes no sense to me......why so for the times you actually get into a street race (i don't advocate or condone) you have to rev to timbuck2 and back? I don't know what your oppinion of a good street car is (400hp @ or above 6k rpm?) but mine involves low end power.....the area most "normal" drivers spand the MOST time in......what good is it to have a ton of top end power if you have to rev to 6k just to get it?.... my t3t4 (57 trim with .63 ar) will support more then enough "street power" and have a good spool-up......I honestly don't understand your reasoning
Old 02-21-2003, 09:39 PM
I am a bad person

well you definetly wont have make full boost by 5k with a .82 for sure. It doesnt make full boost until 6k+ at 9:1. The .82 would probably be more beneficial in a 500+hp car at higher compression for the track so it can spool it and make big power up top. I think the .63 is better for drag so you dont bog it from the hole. But if traction is an issue the .82 again will work better if you are running smaller slicks. My street car is a.63 right now for the track. our race car is .82. anyone else making big power have any track suggestions?? I havent run the street car at the track on the .82 to know if the .63 will be better.
Old 02-21-2003, 10:04 PM

well you definetly wont have make full boost by 5k with a .82 for sure. It doesnt make full boost until 6k+ at 9:1. The .82 would probably be more beneficial in a 500+hp car at higher compression for the track so it can spool it and make big power up top. I think the .63 is better for drag so you dont bog it from the hole. But if traction is an issue the .82 again will work better if you are running smaller slicks. My street car is a.63 right now for the track. our race car is .82. anyone else making big power have any track suggestions?? I havent run the street car at the track on the .82 to know if the .63 will be better.

You said it your self..the .82 ar would be more benifital on a 500+ hp car not a street car......
whats the point od having a turbo that hits full boost 2k before redline? I think your stuck in a one "track" mind and thats the track ...pun intended.
superchargers are great they make low end power where honda's need it......
turbo's are great they make power up top where sc don't.....so the solution is a nicely matched turbo for the "street".......quick spool and still maintain power up top......
Old 02-21-2003, 10:09 PM
I am a bad person

No offense to you but why run a larger a/r on the street? imho a smaller a/r will benefit you for daily driving...quicker spool = power sooner......why would you want so much top end on the street..it makes no sense to me......why so for the times you actually get into a street race (i don't advocate or condone) you have to rev to timbuck2 and back? I don't know what your oppinion of a good street car is (400hp @ or above 6k rpm?) but mine involves low end power.....the area most "normal" drivers spand the MOST time in......what good is it to have a ton of top end power if you have to rev to 6k just to get it?.... my t3t4 (57 trim with .63 ar) will support more then enough "street power" and have a good spool-up......I honestly don't understand your reasoning
Like i said, it depends on what you want to do with the car. if you have a .63 rear and are making 400whp. trust me you will fry fry and fry your tires in all gears. With a .82 it will have lag which is good in getting the car moving before you make peak power. While the guy next to you is spinning you are their lagging but moving and you still have the top end which the .63 doesnt. In my car i ran a .82 cause i would run supras from 60-80 mph up and never got beat once. Like i said before though. it depends on what you want to do with the car. street drivability is obviously better with a .63 but if you race on the street i would go .82. My opinion of a nice street car is a 400+whp and revving out to 9k+. I like to run my car from 60mph up. with the .82 you sit in 3rd just before vtec. you press and the car next to you spins, then boost comes in and you pass, then you hit 4th and peace out. my 4th goes 140+mph.
Old 02-21-2003, 10:13 PM
I am a bad person

You said it your self..the .82 ar would be more benifital on a 500+ hp car not a street car......
whats the point od having a turbo that hits full boost 2k before redline? I think your stuck in a one "track" mind and thats the track ...pun intended.
superchargers are great they make low end power where honda's need it......
turbo's are great they make power up top where sc don't.....so the solution is a nicely matched turbo for the "street".......quick spool and still maintain power up top......
I did say a .82 would be better on a 500whp car at the "track". maybe before I type this you can read my above post and then we can talk more. by the way, who said you cant have a 500whp street car??
Old 02-21-2003, 10:20 PM

No offense to you but why run a larger a/r on the street? imho a smaller a/r will benefit you for daily driving...quicker spool = power sooner......why would you want so much top end on the street..it makes no sense to me......why so for the times you actually get into a street race (i don't advocate or condone) you have to rev to timbuck2 and back? I don't know what your oppinion of a good street car is (400hp @ or above 6k rpm?) but mine involves low end power.....the area most "normal" drivers spand the MOST time in......what good is it to have a ton of top end power if you have to rev to 6k just to get it?.... my t3t4 (57 trim with .63 ar) will support more then enough "street power" and have a good spool-up......I honestly don't understand your reasoning

Like i said, it depends on what you want to do with the car. if you have a .63 rear and are making 400whp. trust me you will fry fry and fry your tires in all gears. With a .82 it will have lag which is good in getting the car moving before you make peak power. While the guy next to you is spinning you are their lagging but moving and you still have the top end which the .63 doesnt. In my car i ran a .82 cause i would run supras from 60-80 mph up and never got beat once. Like i said before though. it depends on what you want to do with the car. street drivability is obviously better with a .63 but if you race on the street i would go .82. My opinion of a nice street car is a 400+whp and revving out to 9k+. I like to run my car from 60mph up. with the .82 you sit in 3rd just before vtec. you press and the car next to you spins, then boost comes in and you pass, then you hit 4th and peace out. my 4th goes 140+mph.
how often do you race on the street? is it worth the lag?....sure lag helps at the track but he's not building a track car.......
to each is to own but if in the rare case that i do take on another car for a race i'm not worried about the "perfect" launch wheel spin vs acceleration....i bably my car off the line either way..in the end i still win so to me it doesn't matter..i would rather spools soon so i can enjoy 99% of my driving....i don't want to drive around in a "fast" car that takes forever to make power(sure it makes 400whp but how much is usable?).....the .82 is good for the track the .63 is good for the street.....not trying to argue, just pointing out real life.....if it helps any......i encouraged heat soak in my intercooler while at the track last summer so i could hook-up sooner...worked great but wasn't very consistant...and neither are overly large a/r's.....
Old 02-21-2003, 10:57 PM
I am a bad person

again, I'm not trying to argue either. I'm telling you once again. It depends what you are looking to do with the car. The .63 is not a better street turbo at all if you are looking to street race a 400+whp car. to answer your question about how much of 500hp is usuable. i can tell you that 100 more hp is usuable if you run an 82 a/r. what excatly does I dont want a turbo that takes forever to spool mean?? my car takes about 1000-1500 rpm to make full boost from where I start racing. I start at 5000rpm and make full boost around 6500 and rev to 9500 rpm. You cannot tell me that a .63 is better for the street if you havent tried both. all of the theories and what "should" be better I have done and tested not thought about. i am telling you that I will guarantee you that if you race a car with a .63 on the street and you run a .82 and you are sitting just out of vtec before you move on the car you will beat them everytime. I can tell you that from experience not here say. I have raced cars with more hp and have pulled them badly. so to sum up what I am not goign to "debate" about I'm goign to tell you about is this. If you hardcore and into street racing and not grocery getting and traffic merging. the best turbo for you will have a .82 back housing. if your head is not built and you only rev 8k then making full boost at 6500 would be a problem. I am referring to any car that makes 400-550whp on the street and can rev their car to 9 or 9.5 and make power. lag is your friend ripping tires is not

[Modified by MotorMatrix.com, 2:59 AM 2/22/2003]
Old 02-22-2003, 12:02 AM

Here is MotorMatrix's street car: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=328109

Motor, how would you describe the pull after get you get full boost?
And what tranny are you using on your built b16?
Got any other pics of the street car?
Old 02-22-2003, 12:08 AM
I am a bad person

Default Re: Which turbo a/r?? .63 or .82 (Midwestrider)

Here is MotorMatrix's street car: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=328109

Motor, how would you describe the pull after get you get full boost?
And what tranny are you using on your built b16?
Got any other pics of the street car?
Oh damn, you dug up some ancient ****. It was a fun race none the less. especially since the guy in the 240 said " I'm not in his league".

anyway, when full boost come on it hits hard and pulls all the way to redline. I was running a type r tranny. Sorry no pics of the street car since it was a road warrior and kinda top secret for a while. Now I am getting the roll cage put in, quaife,axles, speedpro,bigger turbo and Full race manifold and I'm going to the track. I'll post pics of the build up now since its not so undercover anymore.
Old 02-22-2003, 12:21 AM

Good Lord!!
You I try and do alot of searching here..
Old 02-22-2003, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Which turbo a/r?? .63 or .82 (Midwestrider)

im gonna go w/mike on this one. if ur street racing, the lag will actually be very nice, i hate spinning tires like everyone else.
Old 02-22-2003, 05:56 AM

I'm going to have to disagree with you guys on this one.

If it's for a street car then go with the t3/t4oe .62a/r. You won't like the lag on the street with the .82 a/r . On the highway, you'll be fine with a .82 a/r but on the street (light to light) you will get eaten up alive by anyone who is boosting. On the street you want faster spool up times and less lag.

On a race car no one cares about lag because you will be coming out of the hole with boost anyways, using a 2 stepper. So you can go with oversized turbo's with bigger a/r's to a certain degree.

HTH

Old 02-22-2003, 06:36 AM

Default Re: Which turbo a/r?? .63 or .82 (ekb18c)

I'm going to have to disagree with you guys on this one.

If it's for a street car then go with the t3/t4oe .62a/r. You won't like the lag on the street with the .82 a/r . On the highway, you'll be fine with a .82 a/r but on the street (light to light) you will get eaten up alive by anyone who is boosting. On the street you want faster spool up times and less lag.

On a race car no one cares about lag because you will be coming out of the hole with boost anyways, using a 2 stepper. So you can go with oversized turbo's with bigger a/r's to a certain degree.

HTH

That would be my thought!
Old 02-22-2003, 07:00 AM
I am a bad person

I can leave the hole with my .82 with boost too on the street. have all of you guys tried an .82 that seem to think it isnt better. do you realize the ammount of power you make up top with. even if the car wiht .63 pulls you from the hole by 1-2 cars your top end is massive. you will walk past them. also, th eonly way to get beaten out of the hole by a car with a.63 is if they are a better driver. the .63 spins when you make big hp. once it starts spinning its very hard to pedal the car. you cannot bang gears beacuse it will light up 1,2,3,4. while the .82 will not spin the tires eaxcept in 1st and at the top of 2nd it will hook dead at 400whp. you cannot do that with a .63.
Old 02-22-2003, 07:14 AM

Yes, I have tried a t3/t4oe w/ .82 a/r turbo on the street.

IMO .82 a/r is too big for a daily driven street car. Sure the top end power is better with .82 a/r but we are talking about the street here. And when we are talking about street car then we are talking about useable power band.

Well it all depends on what a person wants, I suppose. I mean, if someone wants all high end power then sure .82 a/r is better then .63 and if one wants faster spool up then .63 would be better. It all depends on where you want your power band to be at. A .63 a/r t3/t4oe has a more useable powerband then the same set up with .82 a/r.

If you want all highs and no lows then why not go with a bigger turbo then a t3/t4?
Old 02-22-2003, 07:19 AM
I am a bad person

Yes, I have tried a t3/t4oe w/ .82 a/r turbo on the street.

IMO .82 a/r is too big for a daily driven street car. Sure the top end power is better with .82 a/r but we are talking about the street here. And when we are talking about street car then we are talking about useable power band.

Well it all depends on what a person wants, I suppose. I mean, if someone wants all high end power then sure .82 a/r is better then .63 and if one wants faster spool up then .63 would be better. It all depends on where you want your power band to be at. A .63 a/r t3/t4oe has a more useable powerband then the same set up with .82 a/r.

If you want all highs and no lows then why not go with a bigger turbo then a t3/t4?
I agree. its exactly what i said in every one of my posts. Its what you want on the street. again i am referring to a ar that make 400+ whp and can rev 9k. I would not recommend and 82 to someone wanting 250 whp and revving 7k. they'll get killed. the reason why i would still stay t3 on the street is cause even if you have lag the boost hits so hard when it does come in that it will rip tires endlessly also.

Quick Reply: Which turbo a/r?? .63 or .82