Notices

Turbo questions regarding H22 5th gen Prelude...

Old 01-02-2004, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo questions regarding H22 5th gen Prelude...

Hello everyone,
I am a reletively boost-ignorant person, but Im learning, so bear with me please... First off... I love insanely fast cars... I got to drive a friends drag car that ran just under 10 in the 1/4 and I became hooked on speed... Secondly, I love my prelude... IMO they are the baddest *** common cars period (topped only by the expensive and unavailable supra and uncommon, ultra expensive exotics... IMO...).

So, with my disposition thus, I want to make my Prelude as fast as I can. To get the Lude fast, Im thinkin turbo... NOW, to get it insane... this is where I need help so correct me if Im wrong... Im thinkin really high boost, like 25-30 psi... is this the right way to think or am I missing something and this idea is stupid... Also, right off the bat, can I use normal 93 octane gas with so much boost???

I understand that it will be expensive, and thinking about it, the 10k for an amazing turbo setup + my car (low balling at 8K for estimation...) = 18K... Im still, at the very least, 10K dollars short of the clean TT Supra I dream of... so this seems like a good idea...

The part that I am not sure about is... is it practical to have 30psi running through an H22 (i know it needs to be built and sleeved, and I need new axles, etc...) and what I will need to change if I do go through with this... Please, everyone, I want everyones imput... From, setup and plumbing (a member of H-T (Tinker219) makes an AC compatible manifold... will it be suitable for 30psi?), to internals, to high HP axles, etc...

This project is going to begin once my father signs the Lude over to me (God knows when... Im 17 and he is a penny pinching old man... haha!)... so in the mean time, I plan to learn everything I can about turbo (and save every bit of money possible... heh... my job and on-the-side car audio "buisness" helps...)... So, for the sake of me shedding my semi-ignorance, does anyone know of any good all-encompassing write-ups? I understand most of the fundementals, I just want to learn everything I can so I do this right... Hopefully, the Lude is gonna be incredible when it's done .

Thank you all very much!!!
Old 01-02-2004, 09:01 PM

25 to 30 is a lil much. Your prelude will not be a 10 sec lude. and you will get mad respect for low 13 and less./ Im in the process of boosting but im buying another h22 to fully build. You need to have some things balanced and get breaks, rotors etc, major tranny build, lsd. Btw can you hook me up with some in car dvd for the lude?
Old 01-02-2004, 09:12 PM

Default Re: (skunk2lude01)

Cool, thx for the advise... E-mail me about the DVD (phobiasdrums@yahoo.com), I do most of my car audio **** for fun, and mostly for friends and stuff (low key local stuff...), but we will talk... Who else has good advise... also, why is 25-30 "pushing it"... I want to learn here lol... traction right? More replys plz!!! Thanks.
Old 01-02-2004, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Turbo questions regarding H22 5th gen Prelude... (Drum_Guru)

Get a b18c5 instead.. jk..

search, read, search, search, search, read, read, seach and then read some more. Check out the prelude section - start off by building the block and then go from there.

Also, I wouldn't think in 'psi' but in wheel hp and what you want to achive in the 1/4 mile.
Old 01-02-2004, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

corky bells book on tuorbcharging is comprehensive and leaves almost nothing un covered
Old 01-03-2004, 03:15 AM

Default Re: Turbo questions regarding H22 5th gen Prelude... (teamols)

Check out DirtyLude on hondaprelude.to - he's boosting very high on his 5th gen. 10 seconds isn't going to happen unless you're willing to do some serious cut cut chop chop to drop weight, and put on very large front tires. Mid-High 12's are more than possible though. Prelude is geared for top speed, and you'll spin the whole way doing the track.

Possible? Definately. I'd ask what your goal was though, if your goal is to boost 30psi fine, but that's different than wanting a 12 second prelude.
Old 01-03-2004, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo questions regarding H22 5th gen Prelude... (xtal)

first of all running 25-30 psi you will not beable to run on pump gas. mid to high 12's are very possible... see my sig and im doing that with stock internals. 10's would be very hard to get considering the weight and gearing of the prelude. and more boost like 25 psi doesnt mean you'll be able to put the power to the ground. you want to make as much power as you can and still get be able to traction.
Old 01-03-2004, 07:05 AM

Default Re: Turbo questions regarding H22 5th gen Prelude... (TurboLude97)

yeah, cool... I figured it would be to much for the prelude traction wise... thx all... Another reason that I wanted high psi is to be able to say... My "RICE BURNER" puts out 600 whp, what does your Mustang push? HAHAHA!!! you know... the whole bragging rights with massive whp **** lol...

So I know Im not going to hit 10 seconds and thats fine... I just want to make it as fast as possible (and high whp would be nice cuz I live in musclecarville...) while keeping it a realistic street car... I guess I would like mid/low 12's... what do I need to achieve that and what is the most whp a prelude can take with LSD and moderately large front tires?

I will definatelly check out the corky bells book...

thx all!! more posts!

Modified by Drum_Guru at 11:21 AM 1/3/2004

Modified by Drum_Guru at 11:45 PM 1/3/2004
Old 01-03-2004, 07:46 PM

Ok, I want mid/low 12's in the 1/4... So what kind of whp should I shoot for, and what psi is that roughly... will I be able to run on 93 pump gas? more posts plz! Thx!
Old 01-03-2004, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you shouldn't really be thinking of trying to make your daily driver fast as posiable. My friend should be running 12s with his turbo'd h22a.. in a fully gutted Accord.. his wieght is down to 2600lbs thats nothing compared to my stock CRX which is at just under 2000lbs. weight has everything to do with speed especialy in Import 4clys..
he has about 13g's in the car but it runs awesome.. he is on pump gas.. and is boosting around 7 PSI right now.. at the track i'm sure it will be 15 or so..
This isn't his daily driver and its far from realiable.. even with the AEM EMS it has its problems.. the thing never wants to idle and always dies at stop lights..
geting you stock lude in the 12s is gonna take alot.. to much if you ask me..
Old 01-04-2004, 08:59 AM

Default Re: Turbo questions regarding H22 5th gen Prelude... (JonGP4)

alright thanks for the opinoin... who else...
Old 01-04-2004, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well if the track I am running at wasn't up hill 2 degrees my mph should put me in the 12.6-12.7 range here is a page w/ the set up... http://www.personal.psu.edu/us....html
I think the mods are up to date but the pix are old.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:32 PM

Default Re: Turbo questions regarding H22 5th gen Prelude... (TurboLude97)

Lets start over... I want to run mid/low 12's... what kind of WHP do I need to shoot for and what kind of psi... I am thinking about the Full-Race intercooler, the GT35e SC61 turbo, Lovefab Sidewinder manifold (bcz it reduces spool by ~1000 rpm and I get to keep my AC), Tial WG and BOV, AEM EMS, Upgraded fuel sys., and coustum plumbing and exhaust (3" downpipe splits into two 3" exhaust pipes and they runs straight out the fenders)... Aproximately what psi will I have to push to get mid/low 12's out of my bitch with this setup...
Old 01-05-2004, 07:17 PM

Did you not notice TurboLude97's post and sig? That should give you a rough answer to your question.