Notices

Turbo Questions...Im stumped

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Questions...Im stumped

Hey, looking for some help because im stumped. Just finished my built gsr build and came into some problems. We drove it around for 350 miles on my buddys tuned ecu and drove good. But then it started smoking like hell. The seals on the turbo were bad. Rebuilt the turbo, rerouted return line and got a oil restricter. Took her cruising one night, after 30 miles it started smoking really bad coming up to stop signs, and just at idle. Took the turbo back apart, all the seals were good, but there was oil in the exhaust housing. When you do pulls theres no smoke at all...none! Come up to a stop sign and it looks like a smoke show. Any help, weve tried everything! The turbo is a Precision sc61.

Also, on another note. My buddys cars oil pressure gauge is acting up. At idle its around 25psi, and cruising its around 75psi. But when you do a pull in it, the thing bounces all over hell, from 20-100 and everywhere in between. And just last night its been going straight to zero when you start doing a pull. The guage is an Autometer, the electrical kind.

If anyone can help with either of these problems that would be great!!! Thanks!
Old 08-11-2011, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Questions...Im stumped

Oil pressure gauge when warm reads 15psi at idle and 50psi cruising as of tonight. Could the oil pump be like half way shot? Any help would be appreciated!
Old 08-12-2011, 02:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

did you have the shaft cleaned up when you rebuilt the turbo? It can wear on one side or the other and cause play, when you build boost the old pressure comes up and the shaft straightens out because there is more oil around the bearing, when you shut down your oil pressure drops and the shaft starts to move again letting oil leak out into the turbine housing

I had this problem on a daytona I had, put new seals in it and it would only smoke coming to a stop it would smoke like Mt. St Helens. Turns out it needed machine work (didnt check it before hand and sometimes feeling for play with your hands doesnt show everything)

Also maybe the gauge is getting a bad signal? Try another gauge or stick it in another car.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That actually makes complete sense. So what your saying is, get the turbo balanced and stick new seals in just for security and it should be good?

Also, the gauge is like 2 weeks old. Id be pissed if an Autometer gauge and sender took a dump only after 2 weeks. All the connections did look good. Anyone else have any input?
Old 08-12-2011, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

correct, I never buy a turbo that "just" needed seals because who knows how long it was running with bad ones and could have become damaged in the process. I would suppose sometimes it comes out the intake side and it barely noticable because its not being burned like in the turbine side

and those gauges do go bad or are bad out of the box, autometer has been cool the couple times I asked them to replace it
Old 08-12-2011, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i would look at your oil drain. its probably not flowing well enough.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

We rerouted the oil return cuz we thought that was mybe why the seals blew in the first place. So return line is good.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just because you redid it doesnt mean its good

lets see pics of the oil drain. also what ID hose/fittings are you using?
Old 08-12-2011, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

-10an line and fittings.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Welfare could be right too, if it wasnt draining properly and oil pooled in the turbo and it was shut down hot it could have cooked the oil around the bearings and next startup it has to spin on the dry cooked oil before fresh oil finally reaches it, its just one of those get to the root cause things. I think its unlikely seeing as you probably havent had that turbo on there long enough for that to have happened yet
Old 08-13-2011, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah it was instantly blowing smoke after the rebuild. What could be possible is that its way out of balance. Cause after the rebuild i noticed it did have a little more shaft play than before.