Notices

turbo problems narrowed down... might be turbo seals

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 01:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo problems narrowed down... might be turbo seals

ok this started about a month ago when i bought a used turbo, after about i week of running it, the car started smoking and bogging and running like ****. this was my old setup, t3/t4, walbro 255lph, stock injectors, 12.1 fmu, and cheap *** check valves on a stock b16a running a p72 ecu. i was stressing out so much coz i just spend $2200 that i thought blew up my motor. anyways, i met this cool guy at honda tech and really helped me out with my problems(shout out to p0gi). i got my car towed 50 something miles to his place. when we got the car in the garage i started it and man just mad smoke was coming out and i was running way rich, also i had a mad vacum leak. i thought it was my rings and/or head gasket. we took the check valves out and put a stock map sensor, started the car and man it idled normal and all the smoke was gone, we checked the compression and since my buddy's compression tester would not go over 150 psi , i dont really know my exact numbers, but all the cylinders were at 150.

the next day we took the head off and put a new head gasket and jg cam gears. now this is my new set up, same turbo, walbro 255lph, DSM 450cc & VAFC hack. we got rid of the fmu and stupid check valves. retard the timing 4deg and made sure there were no leaks. after tuning the vafc we took it for a test drive...WOW what a night and day difference. car idles fine and kicks hard on boost. but i was still getting a little bit of smoke, i was thinking it could be the valve seals or the turbo itself.

well today when i was driving home and the car would not go into boost, i knew one of the clamps from the charge pipes came loose. i drove for about another 10minutes and there was no smoke. so when i got home pop the hood and there it was one of the pipes from the turbo to the intercooler came loose, while i was fixing it i saw oil and it seem to be coming from the turbo. so i guess its time for a rebuild on that turbo.

questions:
1. where can i get it rebuild and how much ?
2. is it okay if i run it like this or should i fix this asap

ps. special thanks to p0gi

boosted b16a