Notices

Turbo Opertaing Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Opertaing Oil Pressure

I am just trying to get some light shed on this topic. I have heard many times that some model turbos do not like too much oil pressure b/c it causes them to leak, e.g garrett so was wondering if there is a manufacturer specific operating oil pressure for turbos and if so what are they
Old 04-09-2007, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Opertaing Oil Pressure (jiggacivic)

Ball bearing - between 20 and 40 psi
journal bearing garrett - between 40 and 60 psi
Old 04-09-2007, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Opertaing Oil Pressure (TiAL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TiAL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ball bearing - between 20 and 40 psi
journal bearing garrett - between 40 and 60 psi</TD></TR></TABLE>

where did you get this information from ?
Old 04-09-2007, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TiAL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ball bearing - between 20 and 40 psi
journal bearing garrett - between 40 and 60 psi</TD></TR></TABLE>

by these numbers all vtec hondas run to much oil pressure for a turbo.. yea.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oil restrictor? How many people are running them? I have heard a few people say too much oil pressure causes the turbos to leak so is it a good idea to get one?
Old 04-09-2007, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Opertaing Oil Pressure (tony413)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">where did you get this information from ?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I work for TiAL and we are a Garrett PD, good enough?
Old 04-09-2007, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Opertaing Oil Pressure (envee)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">by these numbers all vtec hondas run to much oil pressure for a turbo.. yea.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
that is why you use a restrictor
Old 04-09-2007, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

with those numbers you dont experience coking or leaking or broken seals ? and usually a turbo is feed 5psi-30psi of oil pressure to the CHRA
Old 04-09-2007, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TiAL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I work for TiAL and we are a Garrett PD, good enough?</TD></TR></TABLE>

, good enough for me.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Opertaing Oil Pressure (twkdCD595)

Directly off of Garretts site:

Does my turbo require an oil restrictor?

Oil requirements depend on the turbo's bearing system type. Garrett has two types of bearing systems; traditional journal bearing; and ball bearing.

The journal bearing system in a turbo functions very similarly to the rod or crank bearings in an engine. These bearings require enough oil pressure to keep the components separated by a hydrodynamic film. If the oil pressure is too low, the metal components will come in contact causing premature wear and ultimately failure. If the oil pressure is too high, leakage may occur from the turbocharger seals. With that as background, an oil restrictor is generally not needed for a journal-bearing turbocharger except for those applications with oil-pressure-induced seal leakage. Remember to address all other potential causes of leakage first (e.g., inadequate/improper oil drain out of the turbocharger, excessive crankcase pressure, turbocharger past its useful service life, etc.) and use a restrictor as a last resort. Garrett distributors can tell you the recommended range of acceptable oil pressures for your particular turbo. Restrictor size will always depend on how much oil pressure your engine is generating-there is no single restrictor size suited for all engines.

Ball-bearing turbochargers can benefit from the addition of an oil restrictor, as most engines deliver more pressure than a ball bearing turbo requires. The benefit is seen in improved boost response due to less windage of oil in the bearing. In addition, lower oil flow further reduces the risk of oil leakage compared to journal-bearing turbochargers. Oil pressure entering a ball-bearing turbocharger needs to be between 40 psi and 45 psi at the maximum engine operating speed. For many common passenger vehicle engines, this generally translates into a restrictor with a minimum of 0.040" diameter orifice upstream of the oil inlet on the turbocharger center section. Again, it is imperative that the restrictor be sized according to the oil pressure characteristics of the engine to which the turbo is attached. Always verify that the appropriate oil pressure is reaching the turbo.

The use of an oil restrictor can (but not always) help ensure that you have the proper oil flow/pressure entering the turbocharger, as well as extract the maximum performance.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks alot and garrett is only saying that you may see or need tho high of psi at redline also i would think it changes at different redline rpms
Old 04-09-2007, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so i guess i will need a restrictor, i am runing a to4e on a b16 motor and as we all know vetc engines have high oil pressures