Notices

turbo oil supply ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default turbo oil supply ?

ok i don't have a honda anymore, i now have a toyota yaris hatch which i'm planing on turbocharging by the end of the month. (stock engine)

list:
*garrett gt2056, internal wastegated at 7psi
*ebay intercooler. 18x12x3"(perfect size for the hatch)
*tC injectors
*APT bov
*Greddy e-manage/support tool(i know some people don't like the blue box, but is the onyl thing that works for these cars right now. besides Apex's afc or standalone)
*log manifold(custom)

ok so i had the car on the lift today and noticed that the oil pan has a 2 piece design. the top being aluminum, which is where the oil return line would go. now i really don't want to drill and tap the aluminum oil pan so i need to come up with a different way to supply/return oil to/from the turbo.

i was thinking of a external oil tank with a pump that would circulate the flow of oil, also adding an oil cooler to keep the turbo happy.

now what kind of pump should i use? any brandnames out there?
would a electrical wtaer pump work?

any ideas?
thanks!

Old 07-12-2007, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

some greddy kits use a the old drain plug for return. not the best way, but... for the supply, just use an oil filter adapter.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (eggie75)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eggie75 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">some greddy kits use a the old drain plug for return. not the best way, but... for the supply, just use an oil filter adapter.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well i never liked the idea of the oil return having to "fight" the oil in the oil pan to make it back into it. do you think the fact that the oil pan is full will make the return oil back up?
Old 07-13-2007, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (joey1320)

anybody???
Old 07-13-2007, 07:06 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (joey1320)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by joey1320 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

well i never liked the idea of the oil return having to "fight" the oil in the oil pan to make it back into it. do you think the fact that the oil pan is full will make the return oil back up?</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you place the return point, above the oil level, when you tap the pan, the oil should not be fighting it's way in. It shouldn't be that big of a dela to tap into the engine skirt, or aluminum part of the pan. I can't suggest returning the oil through the dipstick or oil drain plug, to many potential issues, and you don't want to be messing with additional crap, everytime you check or change the oil.

For oil feed, you could use the sandwich adapter as suggested, or use one of the oil take off fittings we offer. Make you decision based on engine layout and available space.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo oil supply ? (joey1320)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by joey1320 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i was thinking of a external oil tank with a pump that would circulate the flow of oil, also adding an oil cooler to keep the turbo happy.

now what kind of pump should i use? any brandnames out there?
would a electrical wtaer pump work?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Eh, you're looking at an expensive and loud pump. You need speshul seals (viton usually) to handle high viscosity petrochemicals.

Ask dohcdelsol93 about the setup he had where he used just such a pump. He's reconfiguring his setup to get rid of it.

My advice? Gently tap the aluminum upper pan, and drop $30 on a large bore pipe thread tap so you can screw an AN-NPT adapter diredtly to it. If you ever have to go back to stock you can pick up an NPT plug at Homeboy Depot. It's an expensive tap, but a much more expensive pump you're thinking about.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo oil supply ? (Joseph Davis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Joseph Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Eh, you're looking at an expensive and loud pump. You need speshul seals (viton usually) to handle high viscosity petrochemicals.

Ask dohcdelsol93 about the setup he had where he used just such a pump. He's reconfiguring his setup to get rid of it.

My advice? Gently tap the aluminum upper pan, and drop $30 on a large bore pipe thread tap so you can screw an AN-NPT adapter diredtly to it. If you ever have to go back to stock you can pick up an NPT plug at Homeboy Depot. It's an expensive tap, but a much more expensive pump you're thinking about.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i got a really expensive bluepoint tap & die set, i just didn't want to go that route, but i guess is the only way. thanks guys!
Old 07-14-2007, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo oil supply ? (joey1320)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by joey1320 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i got a really expensive bluepoint tap & die set,</TD></TR></TABLE>

Snap-on doesn't make taps and dies like they make regular tools, those are bought from a third party and have a hideous markup applied. Find a bolt/nut/screw fastener house and they will either have or can order what you need for a sub-Snap-on price.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Joseph Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Snap-on doesn't make taps and dies like they make regular tools, those are bought from a third party and have a hideous markup applied. Find a bolt/nut/screw fastener house and they will either have or can order what you need for a sub-Snap-on price. </TD></TR></TABLE>

no i'll stick to what i got. i'm more than happy with the results i've gotten using this set. but thanks anyways.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Joseph Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My advice? Gently tap the aluminum upper pan, and drop $30 on a large bore pipe thread tap so you can screw an AN-NPT adapter diredtly to it. If you ever have to go back to stock you can pick up an NPT plug at Homeboy Depot. It's an expensive tap, but a much more expensive pump you're thinking about.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Just curious what NPT size you would recommend as large enough? I have a 3/8" NPT tap, for GM IAT and CLT sensors, and I have to drill a 9/16" or 5/8" hole for that one to get it started. Would you think that's sufficient, or need to go even bigger?

And what AN size, -10 or something like that? I don't know what NPT sizes are available in the adapters from AN. . .

Thanks,

Thad
Old 07-14-2007, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo oil supply ? (Tjabo)

-X AN is X/16th inches, so -10 AN is 10/16ths or 5/8". Most of the common -10 AN to NPT adapters are going to be 5/8" NPT, but it is possible to find either side a size bigger or smaller.

The rule of thumb is that you don't want an oil drain smaller than 1/2". I say the rule of thumb is wrong as I still see a lot of turbo smoking problems with 1/2", but I have never experienced any smoking problems with a correctly routed 5/8" drain. Go 5/8" or 3/4" IMO, and you'll be troublefree and happy.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Perfect--thanks! ! !

Thad