Notices

Turbo noob w/ ?'s on b18c turbo kits

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo noob w/ ?'s on b18c turbo kits

K, I'm about to get a nice sized bonus + tax return. I was going to simply get a Greddy Turbo kit or something like it with a C.A.R.B. # and call it a day. I then realized I have no idea how the previous owner kept his or her car. I was hoping some of you more knowledgeable guys could chime in.

I already have a B18c w/ a skunk2 intake mani on it and i should have a exedy stg 1 clutch and a bored out TB by then. I don't have a high horsepower goal. I probably won't want to boost very high. I'd prefer to have a very reliable daily driver.

-Whats the best turbo kit for the money that has a C.A.R.B. #?

-If i was going to re-do my block, what pistons would you guys recommend for a daily driver?

-If i was to get ITR cams before doing a turbo kit, would they work well with a turbo setup?

-Any other recommendations? Headwork? Areas of focus?
Old 12-04-2005, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo noob w/ ?'s on b18c turbo kits (FuNkDrSpOt)

reliable and a turbo honda dont go hand in hand. sorry.... but a greddy kit will solve your boost needs until you wake up one moring and say... I NEED MORE... GIVE ME MORE !! and have to go out and buy a new turbo kit again becuase the greddy can only go so far....
Old 12-04-2005, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Turbo noob w/ ?'s on b18c turbo kits (EK_GSR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EK_GSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">reliable and a turbo honda dont go hand in hand. sorry.....</TD></TR></TABLE>
dumb statement.
a turbo Honda can be every bit as reliable as any other car/setup.a big enough idiot can blow up anything.

a simple kit like the Greddy should suit your needs fine.
if you're not worried about making a ton of HP,i'd keep the engine internally stock,as well as the head.
if you do want to go with stronger internals,i'd go with a turbo kit more capable of taking advantage of that.just keep in mind that the price difference between a bolt-on kit at low boost,and a really nice kit,built engine,good engine management,dyno time,etc. is huge.
you need to decide what you want before you possibly waste money on a kit that won't meet your future needs.
i'd also be concerned that the Stage 1 Exedy won't be enough to hold even a low-boost setup.
Chris
Old 12-04-2005, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo noob w/ ?'s on b18c turbo kits (TeamNextGenChris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TeamNextGenChris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dumb statement.
a turbo Honda can be every bit as reliable as any other car/setup.a big enough idiot can blow up anything.

a simple kit like the Greddy should suit your needs fine.
if you're not worried about making a ton of HP,i'd keep the engine internally stock,as well as the head.
if you do want to go with stronger internals,i'd go with a turbo kit more capable of taking advantage of that.just keep in mind that the price difference between a bolt-on kit at low boost,and a really nice kit,built engine,good engine management,dyno time,etc. is huge.
you need to decide what you want before you possibly waste money on a kit that won't meet your future needs.
i'd also be concerned that the Stage 1 Exedy won't be enough to hold even a low-boost setup.
Chris</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ya that was a dumbass generalized statement.

I'm not worried about HP, although I wouldn't mind being around 250-300 HP.
If i keep the engine stock, will it be less reliable or would it be better in the long run?

I know the difference between the two is huge, thats why I'm seeing if its necessary for what I'm doing.

On the clutch part, MANY MANY people around here go way too high on the clutch. I don't see how a stage 1 (40% stronger than stock) wouldn't be suitable for a small boost application. It may be a little on the weak side @ 250-300 whp but would it burn out fast? I dont race all that much and I barely, if ever, track the car. I thought once the clutch made the RPM's between the crank and the tranny the same, its job was pretty much over.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FuNkDrSpOt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Ya that was a dumbass generalized statement.

I'm not worried about HP, although I wouldn't mind being around 250-300 HP.
If i keep the engine stock, will it be less reliable or would it be better in the long run?

I know the difference between the two is huge, thats why I'm seeing if its necessary for what I'm doing.

On the clutch part, MANY MANY people around here go way too high on the clutch. I don't see how a stage 1 (40% stronger than stock) wouldn't be suitable for a small boost application. It may be a little on the weak side @ 250-300 whp but would it burn out fast? I dont race all that much and I barely, if ever, track the car. I thought once the clutch made the RPM's between the crank and the tranny the same, its job was pretty much over. </TD></TR></TABLE>

its not that simple
Old 12-04-2005, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo noob w/ ?'s on b18c turbo kits (CoreyR)

Ive had the exedy stage 1 clutch on my car for almost 2 years with 20,000 miles on it, running 9psi daily, the car has seen the track about 8 times with 30+runs, plus dyno time. The exedy is great for the street and will handle anything under 300whp fine, seen it on 3 cars last over 3 years with upwards of 300whp. now i am not saying that its super amazing, but i personally love that clutch and would recommend it to anyone that is in that power range. JMO
Old 12-04-2005, 06:16 PM

Kind of a PITA to have to change your clutch once you decide you want more power.. what if you want to run bigass slicks? clutchsmoke stinks..

i'm not saying get a Tilton or anything.. just give yourself a little headroom
Old 12-04-2005, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Zakar)

get a greddy kit and tune it with chrome. stay stock bottom end and don't push too hard.

things to focus and overdo... Fuel system, ems, tuning. the size of your turbo wont mean **** if you arent tuned.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo noob w/ ?'s on b18c turbo kits (urbansi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by urbansi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ive had the exedy stage 1 clutch on my car for almost 2 years with 20,000 miles on it, running 9psi daily, the car has seen the track about 8 times with 30+runs, plus dyno time. The exedy is great for the street and will handle anything under 300whp fine, seen it on 3 cars last over 3 years with upwards of 300whp. now i am not saying that its super amazing, but i personally love that clutch and would recommend it to anyone that is in that power range. JMO</TD></TR></TABLE>
Finally someone who has personal experience.

Thanks for your input guys.

Again, since i dont know if the guy before me beat up on this engine would It be smart to replace the pistons/rings just in case? Or would I focus more on Headwork?
Old 12-04-2005, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

does it burn oil? do a compression/leakdown test that will tell you the condition of the rings. if it aint broke dont fix it.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo noob w/ ?'s on b18c turbo kits (CoreyR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CoreyR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">does it burn oil? do a compression/leakdown test that will tell you the condition of the rings. if it aint broke dont fix it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Burn oil. No
Compression was like 190 throughout and leakdown was less than 5% from what i remember. I understand the saying but If I boost it would place added strain on it. I'd rather replace it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo noob w/ ?'s on b18c turbo kits (EK_GSR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EK_GSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">reliable and a turbo honda dont go hand in hand. sorry.... but a greddy kit will solve your boost needs until you wake up one moring and say... I NEED MORE... GIVE ME MORE !! and have to go out and buy a new turbo kit again becuase the greddy can only go so far....</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, I'm getting a turbo kit because it has a C.A.R.B. # on it. If i need more then i'll just add to it or change some stuff around.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo noob w/ ?'s on b18c turbo kits (TeamNextGenChris)

my comment about it is because most people want to cut corners and save money, and dont want to dish out the right amount of money for EMS unless its freeware (which i've seen first AND hand work) / Tuning.

of course it is realiable if you tune it. it will last you thousands and even ten's of thousands of miles.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if the motor runs good, has good compression and doesnt burn oil then its fine. there are people that run turbo kits on high mileage motors for years without problems. if you want peace of mind and decide to spend the money to build the motor thats your choice, and money. i personally wouldnt open the motor if you dont want to make alot of power.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:15 PM

hey, i have a jdm gsr in my DA. all i did was greddy timing belt, arp headstuds, slightly thicker cometic mls headgasket, walbro 255 fuel pump and 550cc injectors. im currently runnin a modified greddy kit with intercooler and blow off valve and custom fmic piping. im currently making 235 whp and about 210 torque on 8 psi dropping to 5.5 psi. now i adjusted my waistgate and i have it holding on 5.5 and i imagine i make a little more than i did before cuase its alot colder out, i love this turbo kit, its reliable as hell and makes good torque and decent whp. i'd get a used greddy kit thats customized like mine, with 7 or 8 lbs u should easily be in the more than 250 whp area if u tune right, i used crome for my tuning and i love it. good luck