Notices

TURBO NOOB...help me choose a setup for my gsr

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TURBO NOOB...help me choose a setup for my gsr

i dont know much about turbos and have been browsing the forced induction forum for a few days...i was wondering if some ppl on ht could help me out...

i want to buy a turbo for my gsr, i want something that would be reliable and wouldnt beat the **** out of my motor...what is a good turbo setup...(drag3?greddy?)

my car is a daily and i only have I/H/E...i want something that would make my car quick and reliable...how much should i plan on spending? would going turbo be better than going all motor?

thanks for the help
Old 06-10-2007, 06:01 PM

probably around 5k if you buy a turbo kit, maybe a little more, or less depending on what you want.

How much power do you wanna make?
Old 06-10-2007, 06:18 PM

Default Re: TURBO NOOB...help me choose a setup for my gsr (streetlights)

I asked the same question not too long ago, with a goal of 220-240whp and daily driving a priority. The answers ranged from "get a second car as a daily, because your **** WILL be problematic" to "I run 10psi and have for a year without issue".

My non-scientific research has shown the JRSC is the least likely to grenade your motor, and it's also the least potential, with average results of 180-220whp. Common issues include belts slipping / breaking and significant heat soak problems due to high intake temps.

The GReddy turbo kits at relatively low boost (7-10psi) average 220-250whp with little more than the kit and 3" DP + exhaust, but the turbos are destined to leak oil / develop shaft play / **** the bed in some other manner. The added plumbing is a greater potential for problems, and if I understand correctly a fragged turbo impeller can find it's way into the combustion chamber for some serious carnage.

I'm not boosted yet, so obviously I'm talking out my tailpipe. I have however been asking the same noob questions, and this is what I've arrived at.

Roots charger - low yield, lesser risk.
Small turbo at low psi - slightly more whp, slightly more potential problems.

All motor isn't an option for me with the K20A3, so I haven't done much reading in that regard. If you don't have a 5-7K minimum budget and alternate transportation, I wouldn't do any of the above.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: TURBO NOOB...help me choose a setup for my gsr (Mag22)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mag22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I asked the same question not too long ago, with a goal of 220-240whp and daily driving a priority. The answers ranged from "get a second car as a daily, because your **** WILL be problematic" to "I run 10psi and have for a year without issue".

My non-scientific research has shown the JRSC is the least likely to grenade your motor, and it's also the least potential, with average results of 180-220whp. Common issues include belts slipping / breaking and significant heat soak problems due to high intake temps.

The GReddy turbo kits at relatively low boost (7-10psi) average 220-250whp with little more than the kit and 3" DP + exhaust, but the turbos are destined to leak oil / develop shaft play / **** the bed in some other manner. The added plumbing is a greater potential for problems, and if I understand correctly a fragged turbo impeller can find it's way into the combustion chamber for some serious carnage.

I'm not boosted yet, so obviously I'm talking out my tailpipe. I have however been asking the same noob questions, and this is what I've arrived at.

Roots charger - low yield, lesser risk.
Small turbo at low psi - slightly more whp, slightly more potential problems.

All motor isn't an option for me with the K20A3, so I haven't done much reading in that regard. If you don't have a 5-7K minimum budget and alternate transportation, I wouldn't do any of the above.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks for the help...

yeah...k series is too expensive for me too...also, i dont want all the problems associated with FI as stated above...

i wonder how much it would cost to build my motor...my goal would be somewhere around 210 hp...

i wonder how much gas mileage is affected if i build my B series up...i get about 340 miles per tank right now...about 300 miles if i beat on my car...its kinda nice