Notices

Turbo newbie here.. What do you guys think of my proposed setup?

Old 11-28-2001, 06:09 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo newbie here.. What do you guys think of my proposed setup?

I am a turbo newbie, but am 100% sure I want to go with it on my R. I just wanted to show you turbo gurus my setup, so you can critique it. My goal with this setup is low 12s, high 11s on slicks.. So mid 12s street tires. Here it is:

- Drag 3 Turbo Kit
- Hondata Stage 2b or 3b
- Thermal R&D 3" Catback
- Custom 3" Downpipe
- Apex'i Turbo Timer / AVC-R
- Tial Wastegate
- RC 440 Injectors
- ACT Extreme Pressure plate w/ street disc..
- Pistons and rods not listed, b/c I don't know which brand to go with.. Help!

Suggestions, criticizm (constructive of course ) and other comments would be great! I want to run it as safe as possible! Also, what is the best compression for me to run, with minimum lag...
Old 11-28-2001, 06:32 PM

Default Re: Turbo newbie here.. What do you guys think of my proposed setup? (1 FAST R)

What is your budget like? I would get JE pistons.. or the SRP's.. made by the same company but different silicon content. Get the Eagle rods.. cheap and strong. Crowers are too expensive since you guys (Hondas) have alternatives like Eagle.
Old 11-28-2001, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo newbie here.. What do you guys think of my proposed setup? (1 FAST R)

You are going to need intectors larger than 550cc then.
Old 11-28-2001, 06:35 PM
New User

Default Re: Turbo newbie here.. What do you guys think of my proposed setup? (dustin)

My budget is around $7500-8000.... total!

Larger injectors? Why? Basically, I just want to be able to shut up the Domestic guys, like the SS and Trans Am owners... I will be using 8-10 daily driven, and hope for 16-18 at the track... How much boost will I need to be in High 11s?

What compression pistons should I get.. I heard 9:1 will cause major lag...
Old 11-28-2001, 07:57 PM
Texas B*tch!

****! I wish I were working w/ that budget, anyways, You might want to consider upgraded some of the fuel components that come w/ the drag kit. I don't know whether it comes w/ the FMU or fuel pump or whatever, but I'd look into upgrading it.
Old 11-29-2001, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo newbie here.. What do you guys think of my proposed setup? (ForcedAccord)

18psi will require 720cc injectors or larger.

Dustin
Old 11-29-2001, 12:57 PM

Greddy Boost controller
MSD 6BTM FULL ignition system
Fuel rail
FPR
Cam Gears
FMU
Walbro 255+ intank fuel pump
High flow cat
3" Short ram intake
Ported throttle body
Intercooler
Crower turbo cams with titanium retainers and valves and springs

There goes your $7k by then.
A custom crank is like $3k
and you need sleeves and low compression pistons and rods

[Modified by zeoth, 9:58 PM 11/29/2001]
Old 11-29-2001, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo newbie here.. What do you guys think of my proposed setup? (zeoth)

Greddy Boost controller
MSD 6BTM FULL ignition system
Fuel rail
FPR
Cam Gears
FMU
Walbro 255+ intank fuel pump
High flow cat
3" Short ram intake
Ported throttle body
Intercooler
Crower turbo cams with titanium retainers and valves and springs

There goes your $7k by then.
A custom crank is like $3k
and you need sleeves and low compression pistons and rods
Hmm, most of that stuff is not necessary... and most of it will not work together. And even if it would, you are getting seriously raped on the pricing for it to add up to $7k.

What good is a custom crank again? Ahh. Maybe we should add some altezzas to the list, cause you cannot boost past 15psi without altezza lights... or so I read somewhere on this site.

Dustin
Old 11-29-2001, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo newbie here.. What do you guys think of my proposed setup? (dustin)

I have that exact setup and it works fine for me. I only boost 14psi max however, but only because that is where my 440cc max out.

And why are people who dont even have turbo posting to his reply??
3" intake???
FMU???
Custom Crank???

Come on people get a clue before you post... geez

STOP POSTING IF YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT
Old 11-29-2001, 02:56 PM

Default Re: Turbo newbie here.. What do you guys think of my proposed setup? (TurboIntegra)

hmmm let's see here...
I owned a turbo GSX and I worked on the RX-7 turbos etc etc. and I sold my supercharger on my GSR to get a turbo and I don't know what I'm talking about...
I don't know you guys but if you want your engine to blow up, by all means... run the micro setup. I at least want my car street drivable.

If you are confused about something ask. Don't assume just because my current car doesn't have a turbo doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about.

He is asking for a $7k setup. A $7k setup for a turbo would not be enough to finish building the bottom end. Hell, if you don't agree, try stating why you don't agree. I'm providing him a list of things to consider. He can build most everything short of the bottom end which takes a lot more research than just going online and buying parts.

So what is it about the 3" intake, the Fuel Management Unit, and the Custom Crank Shaft that confuses you?
Old 11-29-2001, 03:05 PM

Hmm, most of that stuff is not necessary... and most of it will not work together. And even if it would, you are getting seriously raped on the pricing for it to add up to $7k.

What good is a custom crank again? Ahh. Maybe we should add some altezzas to the list, cause you cannot boost past 15psi without altezza lights... or so I read somewhere on this site.

Dustin
Raped on price? Unless you are going 5 finger discount and not accounting for dyno tuning price, $7k is being safe. Remember no matter how much you think you need to get, there will always be something that breaks later that needs replacing or extra money spent on additional brackets and other things such as a ceramic coated exhaust manifold to keep engine temps down.

A good custom crank is a crank designed for your application. Someone who boosts 10lbs and someone that boost 20lbs would want different cranks as well as driving style and time of boost and so forth. Sure just about anyone can just hit up Jun and spend $3500 and get their stroker kit.
Old 11-29-2001, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo newbie here.. What do you guys think of my proposed setup? (zeoth)

I owned a turbo GSX and I worked on the RX-7 turbos etc etc. and I sold my supercharger on my GSR to get a turbo and I don't know what I'm talking about...
I could not have said it better myself, a completely accurate statement.

Ahh yes using an FMU is the recipe for reliability. Honda cranks are stronger than we will ever need.. stock. 3" intake huh.. Yeah I'd like to see what you are going to do with that on a turbo setup. This ain't no JRSC.

Here, do us a favor and do some research before you go listing a bunch of parts that do not work together. You do not know what you are talking about.

I am not the one with the "Clear Corner" here. The people that have replied (like me) actually /HAVE/ turbo setups in much the same way you do not. We have done this stuff and know what works. I do not care how many "Broadway Rear Mirrors" you have, you still need to get a clue.

Dustin
Old 11-29-2001, 03:16 PM
New User

funniest thing ever. Thanks for making my day.
Old 11-29-2001, 03:41 PM

Ahh yes using an FMU is the recipe for reliability. Honda cranks are stronger than we will ever need.. stock. 3" intake huh.. Yeah I'd like to see what you are going to do with that on a turbo setup. This ain't no JRSC.

Here, do us a favor and do some research before you go listing a bunch of parts that do not work together. You do not know what you are talking about.

Dustin
Well, whatever floats your boat. You run your setup and I'll run mine. I'm not going to bother arguing with you.
Old 11-29-2001, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ummm wtf? you dont need half of those parts. if you looked in his original post, he was getting a hondata 2b or 3b. that means the MSD BTM will be unnecessary as hondata will retard ignition by itself. FMU? dont need it. 3" short ram intake? wtf are you talking about? do you mean 3" intercooler piping? do you know how a turbo works? obviously 3" short ram intake has nothing to do with a turbo system. and a custom crank? what's wrong with stock?

MSD 6A
AEM FPR
cam gears
Walbro 255lph fuel pump
test pipe
intercooler

only things needed out of your list (modified)
Old 11-29-2001, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo newbie here.. What do you guys think of my proposed setup? (cyan1de)

Yea you don't need half that stuff. . .hondata will solve alot of ca-ca off the bat. . .
custom crank? Why? are you going to get one make of titanium? 3" short ram intake? I'm not even going to touch that one. . .
Old 11-29-2001, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo newbie here.. What do you guys think of my proposed setup? (turbocoupe)

for 7-8K you should be able to get a decent turbo set up and you'll be in the 12's slicked for sure... maybe even high 11's.. now your goal of 12.5's on street tires thats another story it really aint easy as it sounds.. also you need to consider this might even cost more then 8K.. it will add up fast.. and there is handfull of labor involved along with the downtime as well, and if you dont have a beater to roll around in thats another expense.

for the amount of money you have to spend you will definately have something you can work with.. if i were you, i would consider looking for used GSR bottom end then get that block redone that way *just in case* something goes wrong you have a fresh ITR block to come back to.

[Modified by hybrid_eg, 8:00 PM 11/29/2001]
Old 11-29-2001, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Stroker kit? That doesn't have anything to do with a turbo setup.

I don't mean to pick on you, but I think the main issue here is that you are misleading somebody (even though it may be unintentional).

This guy might go out and buy all this crap and waste his money if he listens to you. That would be a bad thing.

I also don't think that I've ever heard of someone getting a custom crank tailored around their driving style - but hey, what do I know.
Old 11-29-2001, 07:59 PM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So what is it about the 3" intake, the Fuel Management Unit, and the Custom Crank Shaft that confuses you?
what kinda crank were u using on that RX7?
Old 11-29-2001, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo newbie here.. What do you guys think of my proposed setup? (DIRep972)

ok guys leave him alone bwahahahaha, only on honda-tech
Old 11-29-2001, 08:47 PM
Better than steak

zeoth,
I dont think you have said one intellegent thing since you've been here. I would like to get a custom crank for my Rx-7. Should I use JE or SRP pistons with the Rx-7? So many choices....hmm

art
Old 11-29-2001, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Turbo newbie here.. What do you guys think of my proposed setup? (Arturbo)

Perhaps i'm mistaken, but I was pretty damn sure that people the likes of Jojo, Kubo, the BErgenholt's all used stock cranks in their applications.. no?
Old 11-29-2001, 10:34 PM
On Fire!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Turbo newbie here.. What do you guys think of my proposed setup? (VTC_CiViC)

I personally think that 11's are going to be hard to reach with an 7-8k budget
there is so many things that go along with running 11's that its not even funny.

Lets say you want to build the engine there is 5k right there leaving you with 2-3k
to get a turbo kit, and I think that we all know that just a $3000 turbo kit won't get you into 11's.

But the only route you could try to do 11's in is using a thicker headgasket and than spending all your money on turbo goodies like boost controller, injectors, fuel rail, camgears blah blah blah...........

Just my 0.2 cents.....
Old 11-29-2001, 10:53 PM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Turbo newbie here.. What do you guys think of my proposed setup? (newgsr)

I personally think that 11's are going to be hard to reach with an 7-8k budget
there is so many things that go along with running 11's that its not even funny.
ill prove you wrong with my car..

Revhard turbo kit 3000
thermal exhaust/turbo XS MBC/greddy gauges/ACT clutch 1200
hondata w/ injectors 1000
eagle rods/endyn pistons 1000
slicks 400
dyno time and random **** 400
thats 7k so with another 1k u can get more stuff just to cover your *** and a few more horses

so 18psi, 114 octane race gas, very good tuning and very good driving, i bet I can break an the 11's AND drive home afterward..
Old 11-29-2001, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo newbie here.. What do you guys think of my proposed setup? (DIRep972)

can I get an amen ????

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turbo newbie here.. What do you guys think of my proposed setup?