Notices

Turbo newbie: a couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo newbie: a couple questions

Well im buying a greddy 15g turbo kit off someone i know soon and he said it needs a few things like IC piping, BOV and a boost dependent regulator. My question is, is a boost dependent regulator the same thing as a FMU. And also what should I go with. Im only going to be running stock boost on the kit for a while. Its coming with the black box, but I was thinking about trying to find e-manage or something, but do u think the black box would be fine for now just running stock boost, and will i be ok with stock injectors and fuel pump?

Thanks alot for any help.

Modified by SurfKid3 at 9:37 PM 11/21/2005
Old 11-21-2005, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nobody can help me out?
Old 11-21-2005, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (SurfKid3)

what year is your car. for the price of an FMU you can get a socketed ECU with a turboedit/uberdata/chrome basemap which is alot better than an FMU
Old 11-22-2005, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a 94 civic si....but are these all the same thing as or replacement for a boost dependent regulator??
Old 11-22-2005, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How much is he selling the kit to you for?
Old 11-22-2005, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

he wants 700

Modified by SurfKid3 at 12:57 AM 11/23/2005
Old 11-22-2005, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You're better of buying a new kit. in my opinion.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDMisGOOD)

soo.. ur basically not getting **** for 700? I'd pass man, peice together ur own setup if you need all that stuff. Or find a complete greddy kit. They should be had for ~2000
if i recall correctly. A friend of mine uses the bluebox and his car runs like poop. You may want to look into crome or s/t along those lines.

edit:: i believe the greddy kit comes with 310cc injectors. You could prolly get away running your stocks, im running my stocks right now on a sc34. I don't recommend boosting the **** out of it. but until i get my 750's worked out, they'll do.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kuja)

man for 700 dollars you are getting ripped i dont know if it comes with an intercooler or not but to me it doesnt sound like a good deal.

as far as the fmu goes you can run one but i wouldnt and the bluebox that comes with the greddy kit from personal experience with a friends car his car ran like complete ****.

you would be better off buying a log manifold, downpipe, a used turbo of another kind, such as the 14b and a jrc frontmount, and piece together your own i/c piping from either summit or jc whitney.

and get a dsm bov, then run uberdata on the car, and get someone locally to tune it, i believe your info said you are from pa, and i know a guy in carlisle who tunes uberdata.

just look around and dont jump on the first thing you see because someone trying to make money off of you tells you its good.

hope i could help
Old 11-22-2005, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well the kit comes with everything except IC pipping, boost dependent regulator and BOV. It comes with the IC stuff. I thought 700 was a little high....I might try and get it for 500. Ive known the guy for a few years, i mean we're not good friends or anything though. Think 500 would be a good deal or should i just wait?
Old 11-22-2005, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh yea and thanks for everyones help. Still one question though. If i run crome or hondata or uberdata or somethin do i need a boost dependent regulator, or is that what those are?
Old 11-22-2005, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kuja)

[QUOTE=kuja] if i recall correctly. A friend of mine uses the bluebox and his car runs like poop. You may want to look into crome or s/t along those lines. [QUOTE=kuja]

ok i am by no reason going to try and stick up for the blue box,, but having used one i can say that the blue box is made for a pre-set boost level of 5.5psi, there is no timing adjustment and its is set to run really rich. I personally ran my blue box for 7 months and had absolutly 0 problems. On a wideband when boost was set at 7psi the AFR's were between 11.5-11.9 the entire time in WOT, while every car is different i think thats pretty damn good. So basically what i am trying to get at is that the Greddy kits were designed to run at a present boost level of 5.5 psi, so if you are going to keep that boost level i would suggest keeping it. And my car ran far from "poop"
sorry for the rant
Old 11-22-2005, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SurfKid3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oh yea and thanks for everyones help. Still one question though. If i run crome or hondata or uberdata or somethin do i need a boost dependent regulator, or is that what those are?</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you run Crome, Hondata or Uberdata you do not need a rising rate FPR or FMU or a MAP check valve or missing link. You can either use your stock FPR or an aftermarket FPR that has a 1:1 rising rate ratio.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so if i have crome or any of those i dont need a new one, good stuff. And yes im going to be running at 5.5 lbs for a while, till i get some more funds to supply parts for higher boost. Thank you to everyone for helping, more help and recommendations are greatly appreciated
Old 11-22-2005, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

definatley go with crome/uberdata for engine management. dont waste money on a FPR. you should be fine to run 5.5 psi on stock injectors/pump especially with that small of a turbo.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So do yas think 500 is too much for this kit. Its an old greddy kit, the one that came with the black box. Or should i offer something less??
Old 11-22-2005, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CoreyR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CoreyR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> definatley go with crome/uberdata for engine management. dont waste money on a FPR. you should be fine to run 5.5 psi on stock injectors/pump especially with that small of a turbo. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You're suggesting he go with Crome/Uberdata but then you say he can use stock injectors? stock injectors on a stock car is already running at about 80-90% duty cycle. He can run a stock pump assuming it's in good shape, but he wont be able to run stock injectors, even if it's only on 5 psi. I would say that he should at least upgrade to some DSM 450's.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea i was gonna try and pick up some 450's soon anyways, but would it be cool to run the stocks for a little while till i got them or should i just wait
Old 11-22-2005, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SurfKid3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea i was gonna try and pick up some 450's soon anyways, but would it be cool to run the stocks for a little while till i got them or should i just wait
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just wait for your DSM's to come in. Stock injectors are already maxed out on a stock motor. You cant any more use out of them no matter what EMS you are using. The only way you can get more out of stock injectors is if you run an FMU and inline pump. The only time you should run stock injectors with the turbo stuff installed is if you want to try starting the car up to check for problems after an install. You could also drive with stock injectors and the turbo setup if you need to drive to your tuner, however this is very very risky. In any case if you have your turbo stuff installed and stock injectors YOU CANNOT BOOST THE CAR AT ALL. If you do you can say goodbye to your motor.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow, ok thank you for tellin me that, i was told that i could use my stock injectors with even just the stock 5.5 psi. Just to reassure myself tho, the stock fuel pump is ok right?
Old 11-22-2005, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Whether you can use the stock pump depends on the condition of the wiring and the pump itself. If the pump was in good condition then you should be good for low boost/HP. With a Walbro 190lph pump only costing $79, it's cheap insurance...so a lot of people figure that they might as well swap out the pump. If the pump hasn't been replaced in a few years then it's another reason to upgrade. You can run a larger fuel pump on a stock setup fine, it wont cause you to run rich or anything. I know I've talked to a few people who didn't wanna upgrade their pump cause they were afraid it would cause them to run rich when they were still stock.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BlueShadow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueShadow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You're suggesting he go with Crome/Uberdata but then you say he can use stock injectors? stock injectors on a stock car is already running at about 80-90% duty cycle. He can run a stock pump assuming it's in good shape, but he wont be able to run stock injectors, even if it's only on 5 psi. I would say that he should at least upgrade to some DSM 450's.</TD></TR></TABLE>

if the stock injectors are at 80-90% duty cycle on a z6 then what are they at on a GSR, 140%? all honda D and B series injectors are the same, 240CC.

there are tons of people running stock injectors on thier turbo cars without problems. a greddy kit (15g) on a stock Z6 with 5.5lbs of boost isnt gonna make enough power to max out the stock injectors.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hm well i think ill pick some up anyways along with a new fuel pump so that when im ready i can turn up the boost. But what about a price. How much would u give someone for that old of a kit that needed a BOV IC piping and fuel managment?
Old 11-23-2005, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SurfKid3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hm well i think ill pick some up anyways along with a new fuel pump so that when im ready i can turn up the boost. But what about a price. How much would u give someone for that old of a kit that needed a BOV IC piping and fuel managment?</TD></TR></TABLE>

500 is a good price if its only missing the piping/bov and fuel management.

you can get some DSM 450's for 50-60 and a walbro 255 for 99.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea thats what ive been hearing...Im going to go talk to him on friday probably and tell him ill give him 500, and i know people who will make me the IC pipping so it should all come together for a relatively decent price

Quick Reply: Turbo newbie: a couple questions