Notices

turbo newb has a question about finding a turbo and manifold to fit.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo newb has a question about finding a turbo and manifold to fit.....

I have a 94 B18C in a 99 civic hatch. I was looking to do somemore upgrading and was looking at the Bisimoto header and skunk 2 IM. Well after seeing the prices ( 689.00 and 305.00 + shipping ) I figure I can put together a turbo setup for under that. I guess i'm just gonna set a budget of 500 - 700 dollars. I wanna run low boost.. ( 5 - 10 psi )

-Where should I look for a turbo? Junkyards ( rebuilt ones? )
-How can i find a manifold for whatever turbo I get? ( like even if it 's off of some random car like Saab or something )
-Intercoolers?
-What about boost controllers?

I want to get new injectors though ( RC? )

Anyone that can help please give me info.

I want to accomplish this with in my budget.

thanks guys

Old 05-18-2004, 02:41 PM

Default Re: turbo newb has a question about finding a turbo and manifold to fit..... (sivik2nr)

You'll probably have to up your budget a little.
Search online for used parts.
Although some have had good luck with junkyard turbo's I prefer buying new from (www.cheapturbo.com). Afer trying several turbo's and rebuilding one, the time and money spent would have been put to better use elsewhere. It's a crapshoot going that route.
Old 05-18-2004, 02:59 PM

Default Re: turbo newb has a question about finding a turbo and manifold to fit..... (b16ahybrid)

Dude, you're lowballing your setup. It's gonna be VERY hard to do a turbo setup for 1000. Sorry to burst your bubble but might as well go NA. Boosting is expensive.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo newb has a question about finding a turbo and manifold to fit..... (TwoK4drSi)

If you put together a turbo setup for that price, I'll be very surprised. I would just go with that Bisimoto header and skunk IM. The car will probably run better with the header and IM than with the junkyard turbo setup anyway. Good luck with what you decide to do.
Old 05-18-2004, 04:11 PM

yeah, i see everyones point. I was looking around and I found a full greddy kit with intercooler and everything for 2600 for a 96-00 GSR so maybe ill do that
Old 05-18-2004, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (sivik2nr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sivik2nr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah, i see everyones point. I was looking around and I found a full greddy kit with intercooler and everything for 2600 for a 96-00 GSR so maybe ill do that</TD></TR></TABLE>

sounds smart

but hey

how u managed to get an older engine on a new car?
i tought u werent allowed on some states to have an engine older than the car
Old 05-18-2004, 09:37 PM

Default Re: (USDM 4G VTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by USDM 4G VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how u managed to get an older engine on a new car?
i tought u werent allowed on some states to have an engine older than the car</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I did the swap while I lived in Madison, WI. (there are no smog laws there) and now i moved back to Kenosha, WI (southeasters corner of the state) There are smog laws, but only that you have to have it checked every so often, like normal. ( i.e. bring it to the station when you get that card in themail, to get your plate sticker )

When I went to get it checked, I didn't say anything about the swap. They tried to plug into the computer but couldn't get a reading. ( probably due to the OBD II to I adapter harness ) So they did it the tail pipe way. Passed with flying colors. Then the guy asked me to pop the hood to check that out. I did and he just stared at it for like 30 seconds and then said, 'OK that's fine '