Notices

turbo n00b questions.. please leave your thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo n00b questions.. please leave your thoughts

alright.. i'm planning on boosting my integra & i have lots of questions. i'm not new to owning a turbo car (see sig), but with hondas it's new to me. my car is a 98 integra with a jdm b18c (obd1) motor wired to a jdm p72 ecu (obd2) using the original '98 GS harness. i have all the basic bolt on's including a APEXi V-AFC (stock internals).. i'm not building the motor anytime soon so i plan to run ~6psi with the 38mm tial wastegate. i'm looking at the garrett t3/t4 turbos, but i'm not sure which trim is right for me. also looking at RC 440 cc injectors, but which do I get? (saturated, obd1, obd2..???) i also just ordered the blox intake manifold.. so i've been told a chipped p28 ecu is the way to go.. if i get this p28 will that and the V-AFC be enough to tune the turbo set up decently?? remeber i'm not building anytime soon & i'm keeping the boost way low @ 6psi. just want to know what i'm getting myself into.. any help would be appreciated!
Old 06-02-2005, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo n00b questions.. please leave your thoughts (AlxSiR7)

any1??
Old 06-02-2005, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it would all depend on your manifold choice, and if you were to get a dyno, the graph would help determine your sweet spot to help your power and torque curve, i would think about better fuel management though.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo n00b questions.. please leave your thoughts (sqad_7)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sqad_7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would think about better fuel management though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

hondata
Old 06-02-2005, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo n00b questions.. please leave your thoughts (Integra21)

if your broke uberdata
Old 06-02-2005, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo n00b questions.. please leave your thoughts (sqad_7)

well i was talkin to kenji, who i'm going to have chip this p28 so i can install the blox mani and he said some program called chrome is free.. but can i still safely run a turbo on just a chipped p28 and vafc?
Old 06-02-2005, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh yea, guess i'd need to get a better exhaust set up too. currently usin a jackson high flow cat w/rsr exmag.. the exmag is actually a loop design and not chambered as most people think though.. maybe it will be ok for now..?
Old 06-02-2005, 08:03 PM

Chrome is an old version of uberdata...I highly recommend uberdata over the $$$ management systems IF you just want a boosted car that is reliable. However if you need a full throttle launch and gear dependant boost and nitrous control and so on...spend the money and get an EMS.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo n00b questions.. please leave your thoughts (-TRINiTRON-)

oh ok.. is uberdata free as well?? if so ill have this p28 prepared for uberdata & install it with the new intake manifold. then when the turbo set up goes on i can tune everything
Old 06-03-2005, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Crome and Uberdata are different programs, AFAIK Crome is not an "older" version of Uberdata. Crome is less buggy, has better support from the creator, better features and it just plain looks better. I used to have Uberdata but I got fed up at how slow support was for UD. So I switched to CromePRO, which is an upgraded version of CromeFREE which you actually have to purchase (CromePRO costs $149 to use).

You can use CromeFREE and just get a wideband setup which has it's own seperate datalogging software. An example of one such WB setup is the Innovative LM1. The Zeitronix ZT-2 is another WB which has its own software, but I would advise against using the Zt-2. If you ever decide to upgrade to CromePRO it will be very very hard to integrate the Zt-2 into Crome. I the Zeitronix is probably the only wideband that is still not supported in Crome or Uberdata because of the way the O2 sensor voltage operates.

EDIT: even though Crome and Uberdata are both free, you still have to pay for a chip burner $50-$85 and if you want realtime tuning you'll want to pick up an Ostrich emulator which is about $175 + s/h.

anyways, if you want more info on Crome check out http://www.pgmfi.org and register for free.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:46 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Also look at the power goal you're trying to accomplish and not just the boost pressure. That will come soon enough. The trim and size wheels and housings will slightly vary based upon the downpipe that you're using.

As for the "chipped P28" as being better, you may not like the fact that not only does it add fuel, it adds timing in different spots that a turbo engine may not like. This is not the best approach for fuel management
Old 06-03-2005, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AlxSiR7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well i was talkin to kenji, who i'm going to have chip this p28 so i can install the blox mani and he said some program called chrome is free.. but can i still safely run a turbo on just a chipped p28 and vafc? </TD></TR></TABLE>

If you have a chipped ECU you can sell the VAFC for some money and buy a ROM burner or emulator with that money. With a ROM burner ($55-$85) or an Ostrich ($175) and a free version of Crome or Uberdata you can make up your own program which will be a lot safer with your turbo setup. All you have to do is buy your own ROM chip for $6 pop it in your burner, burn (copy) your program to the ROM chip and plug that chip into your custom chipped/socketed ECU. With Crome or UD you can adjust fuel AND timing anywhere you like and as much as you want. With an AFC you are very limited in the amount of fuel you can add/subtract and you cant adjust timing.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:34 AM

Default Re: (TheShodan)

y band