Notices

Turbo mounted in the rear of the car!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Turbo mounted in the rear of the car!?

I seen this site http://ststurbo.com/ along time ago and was wondering if anyone here has done this with Honda stuff? I was thinking of using a NA header and from the cat back fab my own T4 flange to mount the turbo somewhere (Not sure where yet) in the rear of the car. This will be my weekend ride not an everyday car. The purpose would be longevity of the turbo and a cleaner engine bay.

It's a S362 ETT turbo it'll be ran off an LS/Vtec B18A1-B16A2 power plant. I'm not worried about loss of spool up time (If there would be any??) again more concerned with heat and cleanliness.
Thoughts or concerns?
Old 01-17-2012, 10:02 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Turbo mounted in the rear of the car!?

STS turbo setups have been around for years. Not the most popular because of the fact that most Honda enthusiasts lower their car to a point where it risks physical damage to the turbo, and they don't want to run an oil sump system on the car. With a lot of aftermarket available to Honda enthusiasts you won't find too many users of this particular setup.

That's a BIG turbo to put on some daily car. you SHOULD be concerned about "spool up" and such based upon the use of the car you plan and the power you plan to make. The stock engine can take about 350whp MAXIMUM, and using a S362 is just beyond overkill, and you'll be horribly unresponsive until about 5000rpms or so, in which then the car becomes uncontrollable.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.d-series.org/forums/force...n-come.htmlkid went througfh with it and said he liked the outcome

closest thing i would do is a n/a header with and up pipe under the intake mani
Old 01-17-2012, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
STS turbo setups have been around for years. Not the most popular because of the fact that most Honda enthusiasts lower their car to a point where it risks physical damage to the turbo, and they don't want to run an oil sump system on the car. With a lot of aftermarket available to Honda enthusiasts you won't find too many users of this particular setup.

That's a BIG turbo to put on some daily car. you SHOULD be concerned about "spool up" and such based upon the use of the car you plan and the power you plan to make. The stock engine can take about 350whp MAXIMUM, and using a S362 is just beyond overkill, and you'll be horribly unresponsive until about 5000rpms or so, in which then the car becomes uncontrollable.
It'll be my weekend car, not a daily.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I should have stated more, sorry!
Sleeved block from Darton
Fully built and ported head
CP 9.1 85mm with manely rods
1000cc ID's
255 Walbro

Last edited by 0c00l; 01-17-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:27 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by 0c00l
It'll be my weekend car, not a daily.
Unfortunately, that isn't really relevant. It doesn't change the reasons stated above. But if you want to take the plunge, by all means, go for it.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by scottdh20
http://www.d-series.org/forums/force...n-come.htmlkid went througfh with it and said he liked the outcome

closest thing i would do is a n/a header with and up pipe under the intake mani
Thanks for the link, looks like he did what Im looking to do. Also I seen your build a while back, you still running that white eg?
Old 01-17-2012, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yep....running a hx35 now.....its a blast to drive
Old 01-17-2012, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've seen a few of these set ups, impressive numbers on big motors, just seems like too much plumbing IMO.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Slacker93eg
I've seen a few of these set ups, impressive numbers on big motors, just seems like too much plumbing IMO.
Thx for your response, I think that's probably the only thing I'm not going to care for either however being able to run a full size radiator up front and having a better tucked engine bay and a longer lasting turbo will be worth the extra effort.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately, that isn't really relevant. It doesn't change the reasons stated above. But if you want to take the plunge, by all means, go for it.
Thats exactly what i thought
Old 01-18-2012, 03:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rich7777
Thats exactly what i thought
It will be a fully built motor, no different then any other well built turbo car except for having the turbo in the rear of the car. I failed to mention it in the beginning but I posted it later.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It will be a fully built motor, no different then any other well built turbo car except for having the turbo in the rear of the car. I failed to mention it in the beginning but I posted it later.
Did you some how miss this ? Or are you expecting a set of forged pistons and rods to solve your spool/drivability problem ?
Old 01-18-2012, 04:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rich7777
Did you some how miss this ? Or are you expecting a set of forged pistons and rods to solve your spool/drivability problem ?
I sure didn't miss it. He stated that it was a big turbo for a daily car with stock internals. I stated that its not a daily car with stock internals but forged. How is spool up going to be effected by having the turbo in the rear of the vehicle, he never stated why and neither did you?
So what exactly am I missing?
Old 01-18-2012, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I sure didn't miss it. He stated that it was a big turbo for a daily car with stock internals. I stated that its not a daily car with stock internals but forged. How is spool up going to be effected by having the turbo in the rear of the vehicle, he never stated why and neither did you?
So what exactly am I missing?
When you do this sum: 2+2 do you end up with 10 ? Just take the advise he has given you.. PLEASE...
Old 01-18-2012, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it will take a bit longer to spool, on a rear mount turbo you dont really need a intercooler though so you dont need to deal with the pressure loss there....but before the motor can see positive pressure you will need to pressurize the 10 feet of charge pipe from the rear to the front...you also will lose some velocity in the exhaust(so its moving slower, thus spinning the turbo at a slower rate).i honestly dont think it would be more than a 2-500rpm reduction in spool time.....

you also will lose some velocity in the exaust....so you may have to play around with exhaust sizes, it has to be enough to get the exhaust out but not so big to reduce velocity.....you also want to keep the heat in, so wrapping or even double wrapping the exhaust will help
Old 01-18-2012, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by scottdh20
it will take a bit longer to spool, on a rear mount turbo you dont really need a intercooler though so you dont need to deal with the pressure loss there....but before the motor can see positive pressure you will need to pressurize the 10 feet of charge pipe from the rear to the front...you also will lose some velocity in the exhaust(so its moving slower, thus spinning the turbo at a slower rate).i honestly dont think it would be more than a 2-500rpm reduction in spool time.....

you also will lose some velocity in the exaust....so you may have to play around with exhaust sizes, it has to be enough to get the exhaust out but not so big to reduce velocity.....you also want to keep the heat in, so wrapping or even double wrapping the exhaust will help
Thanks, that's what I was looking for! I come from a 12volt background and my understanding on the charging is this: (Laymen terms) If I have a water hose that is three feet or a hundred feet the pressure coming out it is dependent on the pressure going into it, its the same with current. Yes it will take time to get that pressure (Longer then if a shorter distance) but the pressure will be the same regardless of length. I'm not so much looking for terror off the line, but more in the high end. So I think I have my answer
Old 01-18-2012, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I hope using a smaller turbo comes into it...