Notices

Turbo motor is almost done! will it be safe to break in at very low boost?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo motor is almost done! will it be safe to break in at very low boost?

The RS block just got in yeterday and im ordering my pistons and rods today. It shouldnt be that long before its all done.

My question is... If i get a manual boost controler and turn the boost down as low as possible. Will i be able to break it in with factory injectors and no FMU? I just wanna go ahead and get it on there while im saving for my AEM and 96lbs injectors.

Let me know if i can do this guys. thanks!
Old 08-07-2003, 02:57 PM

I need to know the same thing real soon. bump!!!
Old 08-07-2003, 03:50 PM
On Fire!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Turbo motor is almost done! will it be safe to break in at very low boost? (SIReg9)

Hey guys,

If I was you I would personally not run any boost on stock injectors without any fuel upgrades, if you just wanna break the motor in and put some miles on it just take out your wastgate spring so your not creating any boost..

Adi
Old 08-07-2003, 05:19 PM

Default Re: Turbo motor is almost done! will it be safe to break in at very low boost? (newgsr)

I beleive the lowest i can set my Wastegate is 4psi. I have the .65BAR spring, i may be wrong. correct me if i am, i dont know a whole lot about this stuff yet.

As for fuel, I have the walbro pump and i may have my aeromotive FPR and SS fuel lines ran before then.

I dunno if im gonna do it yet
Old 08-07-2003, 06:34 PM

Default Re: Turbo motor is almost done! will it be safe to break in at very low boost? (SIReg9)

dont worry at all about boosting your motor on break in, make sure your a/f ratio is good, and the engine is FULLY WARM before placing much load on the engine.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

i have done three properly built motors with a similar break in procedure and have zero failures/problems.
Old 08-07-2003, 07:41 PM

Default Re: Turbo motor is almost done! will it be safe to break in at very low boost? (lazerus)

Thanks for the link man... I just wanted to make sure if i would be ok with factory injectors and the Walbro.

Keep comments comin!
Old 08-07-2003, 08:07 PM
On Fire!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have anything to tune the system with??

Like i said before if you have enough fuel it will be fine to boost it but if you just have stock injectors, fpr and a pump and nothing to manage those 3 I would just take the wastegate spring out..

By the way the link is a keeper I also broke in a new motor using this technique and it has worked awsome for me also!! No problems what soever..

Adi
Old 08-07-2003, 08:13 PM

Default Re: Turbo motor is almost done! will it be safe to break in at very low boost? (newgsr)

I read that link before i broke my high compression motor in a few months ago...only kept it in the car for about 2 months. needed more power.

When i took it apart the internals were immaculate!
Old 08-07-2003, 08:59 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SIReg9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for the link man... I just wanted to make sure if i would be ok with factory injectors and the Walbro.

Keep comments comin!</TD></TR></TABLE>

no! do not do this. some people are misreading your question. it may not be a problem for a new motor to see some boost on the break-in IF you have proper fuel management and tuning...but if you are boosting with your basically stock fuel setup even a pound or two is enough to go BOOM.