Notices

Turbo Mani's question regarding A/C and what's available.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 01:39 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Mani's question regarding A/C and what's available.

Last time I was playing around with Honda's, Full-Race had just released their first A/C compatible manifolds. Yes, it's been that long.....

I'm looking to do a Turbo'd Honda again, now that I'm no longer moving around every 3 years, and actually have the resources to do it right.

Basically, I'm trying to find my options on both the B-series and D-series Manifolds that allow for A/C. I live in Arizona, and A/C is a must. I did a search, but the search was rather inconclusive on what all is available now.

In general, what I'm looking to build is either a D-Series or B-Series at around 400WHP for the street with occasional track runs. Not looking for much more than that. The indecision on which engine to go with is mainly because I have no idea what's available Manifold wise that let's me keep A/C. I've always been a D-series fan though, not sure how those are doing sleeved these days. My last D-series dropped a sleeve, and that was pretty common then.

As of right now turbo wise, I'm eye-balling the GT30** or GT35** series, depending on which motor I decide to go with. I know both with get me to my goal with room left over, and thusly still give me the efficiency to keep the temps down.

If this was covered previously somewhere and I missed it, my apologies in advance.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Turbo Mani's question regarding A/C and what's available.

400whp isnt a problem with a health build stock sleeved d-series motor

when i strap it to the rollers next spring those are the numbers im looking for out of mine

ebay cast manifolds are a/c freindly but start to strugle north of 350whp....you can make 400whp out of one but it will take more boost to do so....talk to bob at rcautoworks.com and greg at go-autoworks.com ....both have extremely good customer service and very knowledgable....not to mention quality is top-notch from both....if you want the bling they will make you a manifold to fit your needs
Old 12-09-2011, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

read up on the street x kit from go-auto 450+whp capable

http://www.d-series.org/forums/go-au...le-update.html

link to purchase

http://www.go-autoworks-store.com/gostkitx.html
Old 12-09-2011, 01:36 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Thanks for the replies, but I was more so looking at the Mandrel Manifolds. I've had issues with cast in the past, mainly cracking due to thermal loading and just plain weak material with a large snail hanging off the end.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well if you want tubular as opposed to cast manifold, the tuner kit from go auto-works utilizes a stainless tubular log manifold that is made to be ac friendly with a 2.5 inch DP. that is personally what i'm looking to use when i get more funding. i live in las vegas so i understand that ac is a must for a daily driver. hope that helps.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:44 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by meand16
well if you want tubular as opposed to cast manifold, the tuner kit from go auto-works utilizes a stainless tubular log manifold that is made to be ac friendly with a 2.5 inch DP. that is personally what i'm looking to use when i get more funding. i live in las vegas so i understand that ac is a must for a daily driver. hope that helps.
Yes it did actually, thanks. I found that mani after browsing through their site to see what else they had.

I can deal with a 2.5in DP just by selecting proper A/R values on the turbo itself. I can't drive without A/C though, I did that for over a year with my Bronco, and I can't handle that anymore. I'm getting too old and busted to handle the heat like I used to when I was younger
Old 12-09-2011, 04:35 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeBlue
Yes it did actually, thanks. I found that mani after browsing through their site to see what else they had.

I can deal with a 2.5in DP just by selecting proper A/R values on the turbo itself. I can't drive without A/C though, I did that for over a year with my Bronco, and I can't handle that anymore. I'm getting too old and busted to handle the heat like I used to when I was younger
Things have changed in that regard. you can now use full 3" downpipes with A/C and Power steering without limiting to 2.5". As for the A/R of a given turbocharger, that doesn't change the size of the volute of the housing enough to warrant whether or not it will fit with the kit. In fact, in your case regardless, .63A/R is ideal, even with a turbine wheel change.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

www.spoolinperformance.com has some nice ones.. thats what im running..
Old 12-10-2011, 03:14 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

^^ They have grown quite a bit I see. I'll keep browsing until I find something I like.

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Things have changed in that regard. you can now use full 3" downpipes with A/C and Power steering without limiting to 2.5". As for the A/R of a given turbocharger, that doesn't change the size of the volute of the housing enough to warrant whether or not it will fit with the kit. In fact, in your case regardless, .63A/R is ideal, even with a turbine wheel change.
It changes the flow though. On a 2.5in. DP I would not expect to be able to have the top end that I would be able to have with a 3in. DP. Me personally, I would want to run a lower A/R with a 2.5in. DP. Just to bring the powerband down without having to push the setup into areas that might increase the thermal gradient of the whole setup.

Glad to hear that I can run 3in with A/C though.

I'm from the school of thought of higher SCR with higher actual flow through lower boost out of a larger Compressor. My last setup was a B16 with 11:1 running 12 PSI with a GT3582r with Alky injection. I was also running a Water-to-Air with some "modifications" to it. My thermostat hated it, but the setup would never get heat soaked.

Unfortunately, someone thought they deserved it more than me, and they found the shell completely stripped about a month later. I sold the shell and left the scene. I feel comfortable now that the scene has calmed down and the buzz over Honda's has died down a bit.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:19 AM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

scene is still hot and hondas are still getting yanked.. dont let your guard down!
Old 12-10-2011, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JoeBlue

haha ya i know how that goes, i think i would still tough it out if i didnt have a very particular girlfriend. she says ac or shes not riding with me in the summer lol. but i guess the shodan may have a point. And thanks shodan i didnt know that, i saw the ac option and it said 2.5 dp. thats good to know. i would much rather get a 3 inch dp
Old 12-10-2011, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Being in az you have a lot of options and could drop a car/engine off for a solid fitment.
AFI
JDL
CTD
FR

I had AFI fab an AC ram/3in dp and so far no problems. I don't think i could go much bigger on the turbo though.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What up AZ Honda tuners, Im from Mesa. Boosted LS-V coming soon.