Notices

turbo mani runners? hidden turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default turbo mani runners? hidden turbo?

does it matter how long the runners are between the head and turbo? im thinking about building a header where the turbo sits at the back of the motor. i really like the "hidden" look. has anybody done this? this is going on a gsr in my 4 door civic. i know a person that has a matrix where his turbo is at the back of the car, and it spools up nice, and he doesnt need a turbo timer cause the turbo doesnt get too hot.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:00 PM
Reject Papi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: turbo mani runners? hidden turbo?

oh, i'm sure it gets pretty hot. but, you would probably have to fab something up yourself for something like that.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by killerB16A
i really like the "hidden" look.
Why?
Old 09-08-2009, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

First of all why not? It would give me the power I want and keep the engine bay clean. I just think it would be something different.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The longer runners will take longer to spool the turbo, not to mention a general unnecessary pain in the *** and an easy 8' of charge piping if you use an intercooler.

What about your oil return and the huge amount of heat that will heat your intake manny to ungodly temps? I can only think of negatives with this scenario.........
Old 09-08-2009, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^ I agree.......If you want a clean engine bay I would just Stay all motor.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:29 PM

^^or just wire tuck the engine bay. doesnt get any cleaner than that
Old 09-08-2009, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

First of all why not? It would give me the power I want and keep the engine bay clean. I just think it would be something different.
you want to do something different plumb that snail into the passenger seat area and let the passenger watch the wheel spin dangerously close to his/her junk, you will also get that JDM mad turbo spool sound that way
Old 09-09-2009, 06:15 AM

does it matter how long the runners are between the head and turbo? im thinking about building a header where the turbo sits at the back of the motor. i really like the "hidden" look. has anybody done this? this is going on a gsr in my 4 door civic. i know a person that has a matrix where his turbo is at the back of the car, and it spools up nice, and he doesnt need a turbo timer cause the turbo doesnt get too hot.
a matrix? isnt that a horrible looking compact SUV thing? ouch.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

his turbo doesnt get hot because its a matrix!!!!!!
aaaaaaa the matrix!!!! a wopping 185whp turbo.... you can beat your buddy with your GSR civic? right? you have to
nothing looks better under the hood than a nice turbo set up
Old 09-09-2009, 07:08 AM
I'm not Rick!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i say just do it

__________-Mike
Old 09-09-2009, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EL TYPE R
his turbo doesnt get hot because its a matrix!!!!!!
aaaaaaa the matrix!!!! a wopping 185whp turbo.... you can beat your buddy with your GSR civic? right? you have to
nothing looks better under the hood than a nice turbo set up

ok good point! lol this turbo set up on his matrix was made for the toyota tacoma. i understand the heat issue. i was just looking to see if anybody has done this. i sit and wonder about stuff like this. i have a buisy mind. lol thanx guys for the replies!
Old 09-09-2009, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you go this route, i strongly recommend heat wrapping your runners and getting a vented hood cause the under hood temps are going to be up there in my opinion ( Also wrap the intake manifold cause it will be heat soaked being on top of the turbo ) with that much exposed piping... I also would hate to be the one having to fab up the IC piping, Manifold, and downpipe... All in all a good idea and i like things that are different, good luck to ya!!!
Old 09-09-2009, 08:53 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Here you go: http://www.ststurbo.com/
Old 09-09-2009, 09:01 AM

Look at STS turbo systems. It's been done successfully quite a few times. It's typically called 'rear mount turbo' or 'remote mount turbo'. The biggest disadvantage (IMO) is having to plumb the oil supply to/from the turbo. You can't mount it TOO low, after all.

You start to worry about rock damage, and having lots of piping, but other than that...

*edit* damn, beat me to it
Old 09-09-2009, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

^.. I was going to say.

STS has been doing a similar thing for a while but it's spaced back even further.

Frankly I think OP's idea is a good one and he could make an entirely unseen turbo charged car. Hide the intake piping through the stock airbox.

Everyone poo poo's ideas until they're done and more well thought out then most are anticipating.

The underhood temps don't need to be high you just use a turbo blanket like you would if it were in the front of the engine.. the intake would only need a sheet of metal in between to stop the effects of any radiant heat left. and you could route the intake pipes a million different ways with either air/water cooler or TMIC or FMIC or no intercooler if you're going low boost.

Long story short, yes it matters how long the runners are but as long as you design the system with that length in mine you can design out most of the downsides...

You're not going to spool a giant turbo with it sitting back there but I'm sure upto 18lbs on a t3 is more than doable.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol STS turbo systems are rear mounted and out of the engine bay, the OP want to mount his turbo under his intake manifold.....
Old 09-09-2009, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

would it be possable to use the stock header? gsr one or type r one?my power goal is 300whp. i will be useing a different intake mani. probably skunk2. could the stock header have enough flow?
Old 09-09-2009, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

they all will have enough flow, the question is where do you plan to have the turbo positioned
Old 09-09-2009, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I can so picture this on top of my head. But I would recommand supporting the turbo to keep all the weight off the manifold.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it would really come down to room. i can build heat sheilds to keep the intake mani from getting too hot. im a cnc machinest and i can weld too. it really comes down to room to work with. i would like to put it on the back of the motor as low as i can go without loosing ground clearance. on civics there isnt much room to run intake piping back from the rear of the car. this would also keep everything as short as possable. as for the intake piping i would get a fmic that has the inlet and outlet on the same side so my piping would be about the same length as a standard turbo kit would be. i reall want to build a stealthy kit. i might even run a bypass valve instead of a bov to keep it quiet. i want people to think my car is stock!
Old 09-09-2009, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by da_dude
I can so picture this on top of my head. But I would recommand supporting the turbo to keep all the weight off the manifold.
this is something i have been thinking about for a long time and its time to start acting on it. i just wonder if i could use the stock gsr header?
Old 09-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Go for it ! There are companies out there that make rear mount turbos meanign where the muffler goes and the spool difference was minimal so if your just trying to put in a little away from the block it wont be a big deal. Might be a pain in the *** to do though

If you cant get the turbo high enough you will need a high temp pump to pump the oil from the turbo back into the oil pan though, just keep that in mind. they run about 250 bucks
Old 09-09-2009, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Turbo-LS
Go for it ! There are companies out there that make rear mount turbos meanign where the muffler goes and the spool difference was minimal so if your just trying to put in a little away from the block it wont be a big deal. Might be a pain in the *** to do though

If you cant get the turbo high enough you will need a high temp pump to pump the oil from the turbo back into the oil pan though, just keep that in mind. they run about 250 bucks
A high temp pump? Just the oil pressure isn't enough?
Old 09-09-2009, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No oil pressure feeds the turbo but the oil coming out of the turbo usually gravity drains to the oil pan so if you mount a turbo low and it cant gravity bleed to the top of the oil pan then you need a pump

Quick Reply: turbo mani runners? hidden turbo?