Notices

turbo lsvtec oringed blowning headgaskets

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo lsvtec oringed blowning headgaskets

This is the second time it doesn't blow bad just enough to.notice my coolant level dropping and white smoke randomly its 84 mm lsvtec cometic gasket and o ringed I fresh decked head and all it was fine for 1k miles untill I went to the track it got alittle warm when I put it into fourth gear. It a 6262 setup on pump gas making 538 whp. Anyone have issues with the o rings I was woundering if I can put a new gasket.on it without orings but I don't think it will seal right.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo lsvtec oringed blowning headgaskets

Your problem is more likely with the cometic gasket and not the o-rings. You said warm how hot is warm. And to answer you question I wouldent unlees you want this to happen again. I would take it off send it to a machine shop make sure everything looks ok and buy an OEM head gasket
Old 11-06-2011, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Temp gauge went up slightly not much I hit the heat and it went right back to normal but it wasn't low on coolant then I havnt been able to get it hot again but its been useing alittle coolant I put a pressure gauge on it when It was cold and it climbed to 24 slowly then I kept the pressure on it for a bit went to start it again and it misfired at first
Old 11-06-2011, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The other question I have is why does every shop around me swear by cometic and say they have no problems but lots do
Old 11-06-2011, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Run a golden eagle and whats your timing at under full boost?
Old 11-06-2011, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I run golden eagle in my ls-vtec. But i would run cometic to ive always been impressed by them to. Is it a ls-vtec conversion head gasket?
Old 11-06-2011, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll never ever run a cometic gasket there junk the first one I had the car never made it off the dyno golden eagle all day never had a problem with them
Old 11-06-2011, 05:50 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love the automatic blame on the Cometic head gasket when an Oring'd block creates much more room for error. I run a .051" Cometic gasket 84mm, 29psi, 500hp, zero problems. Personally I dont think you need to consider Oring until your bore is above 84.5mm on a B series.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gearhead16
This is the second time it doesn't blow bad just enough to.notice my coolant level dropping and white smoke randomly its 84 mm lsvtec cometic gasket and o ringed I fresh decked head and all it was fine for 1k miles untill I went to the track it got alittle warm when I put it into fourth gear. It a 6262 setup on pump gas making 538 whp. Anyone have issues with the o rings I was woundering if I can put a new gasket.on it without orings but I don't think it will seal right.
if the 1st gasket u bought was a cometic (Then it blew)...

The second gasket u bought was a cometic (now it blew)

Are you really going to consider putting on another Cometic gasket seriously? My opinion is to go with an OEM gasket im getting ready to do a b16a GE sleeved & maybe bore to 84mm & thats what im running or GE...OEM is the only one that ive never heard give problems for the ratio of cars that run them..

I think you may have another reason here why u keep blowing them though.. was it machined after the 1st one blew or just replaced & slapped back on? take it back to the shop bc it might be slightly warped now since this is the 2nd time & get a GE or OEM gasket...

Last edited by m3tech95; 11-06-2011 at 11:11 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What will all the cometic haters say when he puts a golden eagle on there and it blows.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:23 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by ACKPerformance
Your problem is more likely with the cometic gasket and not the o-rings. You said warm how hot is warm. And to answer you question I wouldent unlees you want this to happen again. I would take it off send it to a machine shop make sure everything looks ok and buy an OEM head gasket
I had solved the "COMETIC HEADGASKET PROBLEM" years ago. Its the preparation of the gasket based on the MLS construction, not the "quality" of the gasket itself.

What did I use?

Toyota Genuine Factory Silicone Gasket Sealant - NO COPPER SPRAY on Cometic Headgaskets. Use a very thin layer with your fingers to cover both sides of the gasket prior to installtion.

Used it on my Cometic Gasket on my wife's 81.5mm TODA CIVIC. That was 2 years ago, and haven't had a problem since.

But if you can get OEM, get OEM.. if Not, please try my solution.. it works quite well if using a COMETIC headgasket.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As far as the shop I was dealing with I left them because of all the problems.I've had on this rebuild I have 2 other options of what happened this block when.the first gasket went also had a sleeve leak and had to be resleeved they fixed that and gave me a longblock back so I figured it was partially from that on the first gasket I also no they had to remove the head and tourqe it atleast 6 times to get everything right note they didn't change the headstuds I questioned them on this they bullshitted.me on it. The only other thing was.I messed with anti lag at the track maybe I got it alittle lean but I would of though it woulda blew bad on the line of I did that
Old 11-06-2011, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

They re-used the stock head bolts!
Old 11-06-2011, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No they are arp studs
Old 11-06-2011, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gearhead16
No they are arp studs
oh ok. Arent you able to re torque them 4 times before requiring new ones.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Dioxine
oh ok. Arent you able to re torque them 4 times before requiring new ones.
10 times is what I have heard. But it really depends. If they are stretched beyond spec or not
Old 11-06-2011, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
10 times is what I have heard. But it really depends. If they are stretched beyond spec or not
True i guess the only way to know for sure would be to measure.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheShodan
I had solved the "COMETIC HEADGASKET PROBLEM" years ago. Its the preparation of the gasket based on the MLS construction, not the "quality" of the gasket itself.

What did I use?

Toyota Genuine Factory Silicone Gasket Sealant - NO COPPER SPRAY on Cometic Headgaskets. Use a very thin layer with your fingers to cover both sides of the gasket prior to installtion.

Used it on my Cometic Gasket on my wife's 81.5mm TODA CIVIC. That was 2 years ago, and haven't had a problem since.

But if you can get OEM, get OEM.. if Not, please try my solution.. it works quite well if using a COMETIC headgasket.
And now i understand why so many people go to you for advice. I was starting to wonder why everyone was ******* that particular gasket and began pondering how they were being installed.....

Should start a thread called "Cometic Gasket problem FIXED" and see the replies lol...
Old 11-06-2011, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^yea x2 also where exacly do u put the silicone and why not honda bond?...
Old 11-07-2011, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by cibao2ner
^^yea x2 also where exacly do u put the silicone and why not honda bond?...
After working with Yoshio Kinoshita at Japanese Automotive, he and I came up with the idea, after a friend of mine was going through the same ordeal in 2006 on his 250whp Civic used in H1 class.. I guess Different compound of chemicals than Hondabond (Kinda what makes Hondabond Hondabond ya know?). After we tried it on a couple of cars and got feedback 2-3 years later, they had no sealing issues whatsoever.. so, we stuck with it.

As I said in my last post, we covered the entire gasket with a very thin layer of this stuff. And I mean VERY THIN

We used the DEALER ISSUED STUFF.. just like you would if you bought Hondabond.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
After working with Yoshio Kinoshita at Japanese Automotive, he and I came up with the idea, after a friend of mine was going through the same ordeal in 2006 on his 250whp Civic used in H1 class.. I guess Different compound of chemicals than Hondabond (Kinda what makes Hondabond Hondabond ya know?). After we tried it on a couple of cars and got feedback 2-3 years later, they had no sealing issues whatsoever.. so, we stuck with it.

As I said in my last post, we covered the entire gasket with a very thin layer of this stuff. And I mean VERY THIN

We used the DEALER ISSUED STUFF.. just like you would if you bought Hondabond.
yO Mac, your living in the 80's maaaaaaaan..... (j/k) Have you tried this shiz http://www.buyracingparts.com/hyloma...sol-spray.html Its the real deal maaaaaan... Propa racing stuff.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dioxine
I run golden eagle in my ls-vtec. But i would run cometic to ive always been impressed by them to. Is it a ls-vtec conversion head gasket?
Used the Ls/Vtec cometic gasket .030" on my o-ringed block... less than 100 miles later headgasket issues... Switched to OEM LS headgasket and never had a issue since.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have ran cometic head gaskets for years. Never had any issues. I am sure you can find as many blown oem gaskets as you can find cometic gaskets.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by rich7777
yO Mac, your living in the 80's maaaaaaaan..... (j/k) Have you tried this shiz http://www.buyracingparts.com/hyloma...sol-spray.html Its the real deal maaaaaan... Propa racing stuff.
We used it.. didn't like it. Only the 3M copper spray was even close to it. I may live in the 80s on some things, but sometimes, old school is true school.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I see... i have some here which i may try out on my build. I was only messing about the 80's part, i don't think that at all . (These damn American's not understanding us Brit's hey ??? )

Quick Reply: turbo lsvtec oringed blowning headgaskets