Notices

Turbo LS vs Turbo Type R

Old 04-28-2005, 05:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo LS vs Turbo Type R

Hi all this is my first post i used to own a 92 perlude si, now i own a sentra SpecV with a turbo

a buddy of mine is a crazy VW guy, but he wrecked it and now wants to buy a type R to turbo, i keep telling him that he should by a Ls becuase they are that much better for the turbo

i dont really know spacifics on the honda motors, but i have heard that LS are generally faster when turboed then Type R's, am i correct or is there information im missing,

thanks a whole lot im just tying to help out a friend
Old 04-28-2005, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Turbo LS vs Turbo Type R (TurboSpecV57)

uhhhhhh NO , you are wrong. a boosted R against a Boosted LS. the R will asbsolutely RAPE it
Old 04-28-2005, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo LS vs Turbo Type R (itr206)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by itr206 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">uhhhhhh NO , you are wrong. a boosted R against a Boosted LS. the R will asbsolutely RAPE it </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats right there are NO other variables.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If he needs the ITR to be a disco rock star with the ladies, then go ahead and buy one. Is budget a concern? Because dollar for dollar the LS integra is a way better starting point. ITRs are expensive....trust me

If you don't account for the cost of the car, of course the ITR will be faster, but your talking 13-15k minimum for a ITR vs 4-5k for a real nice LS. Now take that 10 grand you saved by starting with a LS and put it into the car, then race.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:21 AM

Default Re: Turbo LS vs Turbo Type R (Boostage)

ok makes sense

but dosnt the cost of an ls compared to the cost of a type R make it worth it,

if you have 15g to spend, wouldnt the ls end up on top just becuase it cost 4-5g less
Old 04-28-2005, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Turbo LS vs Turbo Type R (ITR981002)

the type R has a higher compression, which means that it has less room for error in tuning. no matter how you cut it though, a turbo type r will haul out on a turbo ls
Old 04-28-2005, 06:27 AM

Default Re: Turbo LS vs Turbo Type R (blackeg)

ok i agree on that but what about the cost
Old 04-28-2005, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

cost wise go with an LS.
It just will never have the same capabilities over all.
The R will make more power becuase of the head flow. Tighter gearing will make it accelerate faster. Better susoension, Better frame, better EVERYTHING. Plus you wont have the same Integra everyone has.

If cost is an issue go LS.
If you want ***** to the wall performance, you know the option.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboSpecV57 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok makes sense

but dosnt the cost of an ls compared to the cost of a type R make it worth it,

if you have 15g to spend, wouldnt the ls end up on top just becuase it cost 4-5g less</TD></TR></TABLE>

Uh..... I think that was my point.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you put the money in suspension and tuning the ls that you would spend on a type r you would own just about any type r. If your running high boost and hp the ls tranny is the way to go anyway. Better traction off the take off.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo LS vs Turbo Type R (dohcdelsol93)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dohcdelsol93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you put the money in suspension and tuning the ls that you would spend on a type r you would own just about any type r. If your running high boost and hp the ls tranny is the way to go anyway. Better traction off the take off.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Kids. . . you will never learn.

Anyway if you are going mod for mod there is no comparison. If you are looking at budget, get the LS.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You could purchase a LS, drop a ITR motor/tranny in it, and still be less expensive than buying a ITR to start with. IMO, the LS is a better starting point for budget reasons.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:14 AM

this is true . I agree for budget reasons its a much better starting point. And you could always convert it to ls/vtec The poor mans type r.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:24 AM
BCICAN

Default Re: Turbo LS vs Turbo Type R (Drkaccrd)

This is what I don't understand...you say that the LS is going to be cheaper than the Type R. I don't see how that is even possible..... and even if it is more to begin with, you will spend more money on the LS to get it to the same level of performance/reliability as a Type R.

Type R: Possibly higher starting cost
LS: Take into consideration the long term costs down the run to get it to the Type R level
Old 04-28-2005, 07:43 AM

Default Re: Turbo LS vs Turbo Type R (Dunc)

U will never make a ls anything close to a type r no matter what. Yeah you might get most of the things that a type r has but there as soo many other things that you can't buy one being the frame itself. Turbo Type R will demolish a ls any day of the week, but once again if your on a budget and kinda looking to be like everyone else then the ls is your best friend.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo LS vs Turbo Type R (Dunc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dunc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I don't see how that is even possible..... and even if it is more to begin with, you will spend more money on the LS to get it to the same level of performance/reliability as a Type R.

Type R: Possibly higher starting cost
LS: Take into consideration the long term costs down the run to get it to the Type R level</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank you. Someone who is using common sense.

Now for budget reasons if you dont wanna buy the type R.
Get an LS shell or something and do LSvtec or GSR swap and save the money and make just as much power as the R overall.
What I am getting at is really as long as you have a vtec motor you will haul ***. The LS really arent it man.

But the Type R has soooooo many other selling points. If it wasnt the BEST FWD car built, I wouldnt have bought one.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:03 AM
95GSRTT

I usually think you make sense, but I now see how most people think owners of Type R's are completely full of themselves.

Type R is nice, but sure isnt as hyped up as you make it sound

And yes I know you dont drive one any more
Old 04-28-2005, 08:05 AM
BCICAN

.....Type R just has alot of really nice little things for reliabillity that people don't consider, like why they rev higher from the factory and other crap like that.

If you can, just do the Type R and call it a day. You won't save sooo much money with the LS that it will be worth it "hands down" to go the LS route.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:07 AM

Default Re: Turbo LS vs Turbo Type R (95GSRTT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95GSRTT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I usually think you make sense, but I now see how most people think owners of Type R's are completely full of themselves.

Type R is nice, but sure isnt as hyped up as you make it sound

And yes I know you dont drive one any more</TD></TR></TABLE>

Spoken from someone who obviously does not know all the differences in the type r and other integra's. It's not that we think we are almighty because we drive a type r but when someone says a type r is not all that it is made out to be has never honestly owned one or more importantly driven one. I don't mean down the street for a nice joy ride, I mean trips, daily etc etc. If anyone has the chance between a type r and an ls with money being no matter who would honestly pick the ls. When people tell me that type r's arenot all there hyped up to be is lieing because they would pick the type r hands down.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:10 AM

If he has the cash, go with the type r. Bad *** car. But put into account his budget along with buying the turbo kit.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just buy an ls shell, and then drop an itr motor. then you have both! how cool, everyone is happy!

i think starting with the ls is a great idea. cost wise, and you can build your car from there. even if he gets an itr, he'll still upgrade. so just upgrade from an ls like it's an itr. make sense? buy itr parts for the ls. lol and get an itr motor
Old 04-28-2005, 08:26 AM
95GSRTT

Default Re: Turbo LS vs Turbo Type R (FOrSfEd)

No i have been in and driven a type R, they are nice, but sure arent the end all of hondas.

And I know all the differences, but its not worth the price to me. You pay more b/c of the honda jerk circle more than anything.

And once you start boosting, you kinda throw factory reliability out the window either way. Ive spent 15k on my car including the price of the car and would handle any stock internal Type R. And that type R would cost around the 15k completely stock.

Sure Id take a Type R over any regular integra, but if money wasnt an issue, i certainly wouldnt be buying either of them. This is all my opinion, so dont get all uppity about it either.

And the same can be said for any person that does drive a Type R. Spoken like a true Type R owner who hasnt ever drive a fast car
Old 04-28-2005, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo LS vs Turbo Type R (FOrSfEd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FOrSfEd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Spoken from someone who obviously does not know all the differences in the type r and other integra's. It's not that we think we are almighty because we drive a type r but when someone says a type r is not all that it is made out to be has never honestly owned one or more importantly driven one. I don't mean down the street for a nice joy ride, I mean trips, daily etc etc. If anyone has the chance between a type r and an ls with money being no matter who would honestly pick the ls. When people tell me that type r's arenot all there hyped up to be is lieing because they would pick the type r hands down.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree with you on some of your points, I wouldn't say any other car is my favorite. But IMO an ITR is more suited as a all motor road course car. If you just want a quick car to go drag racing with... i'd just build a LS and save a lot of money.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo LS vs Turbo Type R (95GSRTT)

GSRTT, I am far from full of myself. But the ITR is 1-2k more then the GSR new. and maybe 3k over the GS. Dont tell me that is too much

What other FWD car is compareable to the ITR? Handling and power?
I didnt buy it becuase it was the thing to have. I could have afforded much more. I wanted it becuase of the flat out ***** to the wall performance.

I hate to say it, but if money wasnt an issue I am sure more people would have the Type R and not reg integras and Civics. Honestly who wouldnt take it if they could afford it. The people I see that knock it are the ones wishing they could have one and need to hate on others becuase they cant afford it.
Dont hate the playa hate the game.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by itr206 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
What other FWD car is compareable to the ITR? Handling and power?
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Disclaimer - I own an ITR and love it.

Fact...after testing the Mazdaspeed Protoge Sport Compact Car magazine, a long time worshiper of the ITR was quoted "The Mazdaspeed Protege has just knocked the Integra type r off the top of the mountain."

The ITR is a fantastic car, I love it. But some people need to open their eyes to the fact that there are a LOT of new FWD cars out now which are also VERY good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turbo LS vs Turbo Type R