Notices

Turbo LS floods on startup.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo LS floods on startup.

Hey everyone. First post here, I've read these forums for a while but I didn't know where to put this thread so I thought this was the best place.

My car is a 93EG SI and I boosted it. Oem everything but turbo parts.

Now my problem is this: everytime I go to start my car, it'll fire, crank, fire, crank and it will start but it takes a while. When it does want to start it'll bog down and shut off. Then fire and crank again until it starts. When it does start it has an absolutely horrible miss like it's running on two cylinders until after a couple seconds to a minute then it runs fine. After a drive and I shut it off, to say get gas, it won't start and will flood very quickly. I can get it to start sometimes, but it's almost luck. After the start and letting it sit for a minute, When I pull the spark plugs out, cylinder 4 is fine and the rest of the spark plugs are soaking wet. I have tried so may different things and it doesn't want to stop flooding. Anyone know what's wrong?
Old 01-06-2016, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo LS floods on startup.

No one?
Old 01-06-2016, 10:47 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

How it was tuned. Type of injector, etc.

Could be many things. Start listing your component parts including the engine you're using, and what hardware/software tuning package you're using.

Some may request visuals of your software fuel and ignition tables, as well as other information.

Be prepared to spell everything thing you did STEP-BY-STEP in chronological order. As with many things, the order of things used and installed is EXTREMELY important. If you don't know about how it was put together or who tuned it, you've just exacerbated your issues, because you don't know you're own car.. (Just putting it out there ahead of time to avoid confusion)

Thanks for coming in, hopefully we can help, but its on YOU to provide the information. ok?
Old 01-06-2016, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
How it was tuned. Type of injector, etc.

Could be many things. Start listing your component parts including the engine you're using, and what hardware/software tuning package you're using.

Some may request visuals of your software fuel and ignition tables, as well as other information.

Be prepared to spell everything thing you did STEP-BY-STEP in chronological order. As with many things, the order of things used and installed is EXTREMELY important. If you don't know about how it was put together or who tuned it, you've just exacerbated your issues, because you don't know you're own car.. (Just putting it out there ahead of time to avoid confusion)

Thanks for coming in, hopefully we can help, but its on YOU to provide the information. ok?
Ok, lets see here.

It was tuned on Neptune. And it was tuned by a guy named Brian, don't know his last name but he's tuned a fair amount of cars. It was dyno tuned at 10 pounds in Hub City Performance in Hagerstown, Maryland. The engine is a completely bone stock B18B1.

First we took off all the stuff needed for the turbo(CAI, headers, AC). Then we clocked the turbo to manifold. Then put it on the motor. After that we mocked and mounted a front mount intercooler. Didn't mock the piping yet because it would get in the way. After that we made the dumptube and put the Wastegate on the mani. Then after all that we put the oil lines on. Then installed the piping and installed the boost gauge. And last we installed the downpipe. The injectors were installed right before the time. They also had to install a resistor box. TRE 550 or600cc. Can't remember which. Will have to check when I get home from work.

When you guys talk about fuel maps and tables and stuff like that, I have absolutely no idea What you're talking about. I'll have to be guided, sorry lol.

The funny thing is it seemed to have started having problems overnight. Started no problem the day before and the next day it was very very rich and looked like a diesel going down the road.

If I left anything out let me know guys.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:26 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have a stock Fuel Pressure Regulator? Trying to think if anything fuel related that could have goofed you up. I dont think an FPR would cause idle rich conditions like you're saying though. Just thinking out loud here...
Old 01-06-2016, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Schister66
Do you have a stock Fuel Pressure Regulator? Trying to think if anything fuel related that could have goofed you up. I dont think an FPR would cause idle rich conditions like you're saying though. Just thinking out loud here...

I have An FPR that has a gauge on it. Not sure what brand. It was very rich. Actually tried turning it down a little bit to see if it would fix my problem but it didn't. It idled at like 52+ lbs of fuel pressure. Very rich.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Maybe use a different tuner? I am like 20min from you (so same area) and I use Absolute Pro-formance. I have got 2 tunes from them and will be getting a third from them in the next 6 months or so. (Really good guys)

I am like you I know nothing about the tuning end of the hobby. I can do pretty much anything else mechanically to these cars though.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by diatibe24
Maybe use a different tuner? I am like 20min from you (so same area) and I use Absolute Pro-formance. I have got 2 tunes from them and will be getting a third from them in the next 6 months or so. (Really good guys)

I am like you I know nothing about the tuning end of the hobby. I can do pretty much anything else mechanically to these cars though.

The tune he put on there seemed great. Ran perfect, minimal smoke, no problems at all until this. Maybe They wired something wrong or messed something up. Who knows. But I live in Frostburg Maryland and don't want to drive an hour and a half to a tuner if I can't get the damn thing started on the ride home. What cars did you have tuned?
Old 01-06-2016, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like you had some injectors take a dumb on you.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 96ekb20
sounds like you had some injectors take a dumb on you.

Not sure, if they were stuck open it wouldn't start at all and would probably dump fuel out of the exhaust pipe. But I have thought about putting the stock ones back in for a day to see if it remedies the problem.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BoostAndBoobs
The tune he put on there seemed great. Ran perfect, minimal smoke, no problems at all until this. Maybe They wired something wrong or messed something up. Who knows. But I live in Frostburg Maryland and don't want to drive an hour and a half to a tuner if I can't get the damn thing started on the ride home. What cars did you have tuned?
I had a B18B1 turbo in a Civic coupe tuned. I thought/assumed you lived in Hagerstown. It would be about another hour drive East to Finksburg to use them.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone else have any suggestions for my problem?
Old 01-06-2016, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you replace the stock Map sensor (how much boost)? Do you have your IAT sensor hooked up? I know the weather has changed a lot around here. It went from 60s/70s to the 30s practically overnight in this area.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you replace the stock Map sensor (how much boost)? Do you have your IAT sensor hooked up? I know the weather has changed a lot around here. It went from 60s/70s to the 30s practically overnight in this area.
No, still a stock map sensor, forgot to change it. Running 9.5 to 10 lbs. IAT sensor?
Old 01-06-2016, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Stock MAP is only good for right around 10psi so you could try replacing that. Or test it or whatever. They are cheap so I would just buy a 2bar map and throw it on. The IAT= Intake Air Temp. sensor, it usually goes about 6-8" before the throttle body. The computer reads off that to adjust the air to fuel ratio (more to it than that but that is a part of the process). Why that matters is if you dont have that in the intake pipe OR intake manifold than the car will probably run fine and be able to be tuned but when you have a huge temp difference from when the time it was tuned than weird stuff starts to happen like what you are having happen.

I hope I explaining this right lol. Ill be corrected if my explanation is a little fuzzy I am sure.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Stock MAP is only good for right around 10psi so you could try replacing that. Or test it or whatever. They are cheap so I would just buy a 2bar map and throw it on. The IAT= Intake Air Temp. sensor, it usually goes about 6-8" before the throttle body. The computer reads off that to adjust the air to fuel ratio (more to it than that but that is a part of the process). Why that matters is if you dont have that in the intake pipe OR intake manifold than the car will probably run fine and be able to be tuned but when you have a huge temp difference from when the time it was tuned than weird stuff starts to happen like what you are having happen.

I hope I explaining this right lol. Ill be corrected if my explanation is a little fuzzy I am sure.

That's why im running a little less than 10psi.I know the map can't handle it. The IAT sensor goes between the middle 2 injectors correct? They actually had to replace it at the tuner because the end was actually burnt off it. Not sure why. And I had it tuned in July so it could explain the temp difference thing.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There you go, replace those 2 sensors and see if it fixes it. Yea the IAT kind of has a diamond shape to it and harness on the back. I have seen them in the intake tube and in the intake manifold itself. You could probably get both sensors off ebay for under $50.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:04 PM

There you go, replace those 2 sensors and see if it fixes it. Yea the IAT kind of has a diamond shape to it and harness on the back. I have seen them in the intake tube and in the intake manifold itself. You could probably get both sensors off ebay for under $50.
I'd look to your ignition distributor and internal coil over the two sensors. The oem ones rarely ever go bad
Old 01-06-2016, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd look to your ignition distributor and internal coil over the two sensors. The oem ones rarely ever go bad

I dont think its a spark problem. After i turn the key off it seems like the injectors still spit for a couple seconds then shut off. After i shut the car off and take a plug out, gas is puddled in the cylinders. I think its something electrical with the injectors. Grounds bad, injector drivers in the ecu, or the ecu could be bad. Nevertheless, ill still check what has been suggested.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:46 PM

Interesting. ECU, no, but injectors after that information, certainly higher probability.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Interesting. ECU, no, but injectors after that information, certainly higher probability.

Not quite sure why. All 3 injectors are like that but injector 4 is fine. Might take them out and try the stock injectors.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Honestly it sounds like a bad MAP sensor. That controls the majority of the load detection on systems like these and it will cause the injectors to flood out the engine (thinks its at WOT at idle). If you have access to a scan tool, plug it in and check MAP voltage/load% and see if it's maxed out
Old 01-06-2016, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by viper_boy403
Honestly it sounds like a bad MAP sensor. That controls the majority of the load detection on systems like these and it will cause the injectors to flood out the engine (thinks its at WOT at idle). If you have access to a scan tool, plug it in and check MAP voltage/load% and see if it's maxed out
Will try. Thanks.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Turbo LS floods on startup.

Originally Posted by BoostAndBoobs
Not quite sure why. All 3 injectors are like that but injector 4 is fine. Might take them out and try the stock injectors.
If 3 are doing it and 1 isnt, swap the one that isnt to a different cylinder and see if the problem moves. If it does, its the injectors, if not, its an electrical issue somewhere.

Do this before you try anything else as its the most simple diagnostic to do for finding the issue
Old 01-09-2016, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey guys, i just threw codes on my civic and all i got was code 6. Water temp. Sensor. Is that the same thing as the coolant temp sensor? Feeling pretty noobish right now. But that could be why its flooding. But i alreadt replaced
it.

Quick Reply: Turbo LS floods on startup.