Notices

Turbo Install.... What a surprise....

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Install.... What a surprise....

Well me and Jason from http://www.crpturbo.com began installing the turbo setup today. We've been anxious to do this for quite some time now, because all the parts I purchased were promised to fit no problem, and others haven't seemed to have any problems either. Well I'm extremely tired right now and very disappointed, but I'll add more detail and pics tomorrow. But a list of problems we have had so far all involve the Lovefab SST manifold.

First, bolts don't fit in the top:

Problem two, I didn't take a pic. The SST is at such a pitch towards the block that not only does it hit the AC engine mount, which had to be removed, it nearly touches the block. Since it's clocked with the compressor on the drivers side, there is usually plenty of room. So we had to take out the mount, and clock the turbo, didnt expect that.

Problem three. Once again, since the manifold is pitched back and the collector sits so low, the oil return has about 4" of straight line distance. I bought the Flamenco-T return kit, and so far none of it has fit right except the feed. But I dont think that's stans fault, I think it's the manifold.

That's all I can think of right now but I know i'm missing something. We're going to finish it tomorrow. But as of right now...

Huge thanks to Jason again from CRP for all his help. We've almost got a return fix, super ghetto and we hope it won't leak but we're working with what we got since it needs to be finished this weekend.

More details tomorrow...
Old 02-21-2004, 09:36 PM

Default Re: Turbo Install.... What a surprise.... (Unsung EM1)

Its looking good so far, Jake. Dont let the little things bug you. Its gonna be badass when its done!
Old 02-21-2004, 09:40 PM

Default Re: Turbo Install.... What a surprise.... (SonicBlueGSR)

Take your time bro, do it right

vids and full shoot is what i expect...
Old 02-21-2004, 09:47 PM
AIRBORNE

Default Re: Turbo Install.... What a surprise.... (Hybrid Racer)

I was there ... alllllll 12 hours, 12 hours basically spent trying to get the manifold to fit correctly, and the oil return to work with the manifold setup, since it made the turbo sit so low.

Definatly not fun.
Old 02-21-2004, 09:51 PM

Default Re: Turbo Install.... What a surprise.... (Hybrid Racer)

Your going to have to usa a stud and nut there, and every place that you are having that problem...

Old 02-21-2004, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Install.... What a surprise.... (Odiedogcx)

i know you probably already thought of this, but itr206 used studs for both those two places where the bolts dont fit and he said it was still a pain but it worked. just sharing info.
Old 02-21-2004, 09:57 PM

Default Re: Turbo Install.... What a surprise.... (tgh99si)

We didnt have any studs on hand, and since we need to get it done this weekend, we just hacked a slit in the top of the flange just wide enough for hte bolt to slide in. worked fine. Bed time, more updates tomorrow.
Old 02-21-2004, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cody probably used an LS mock up engine since the LS head uses all studs and that's probably why he didn't run into any problems.

Also, have you tried flipping the turbo the other way so that the compressor is on the passenger side?
Old 02-21-2004, 10:43 PM

jake man, you are almost there, don't quit now!!!

just photoshop it
Old 02-22-2004, 12:15 AM

Default Re: (kwik2nec)

OBD II motors started using bolts. oBD I and below used studs.

on the oil return i ran mine with no problems what the hell happen to yours? you need to run a straight bung off the turbo to a 45 , or a 45 to a straight one or the other, mines on my car whcih i sold my brother no problem.

you should've researched that studs are needed with the lovefab as well as full-race and other brands. also the oil return is improper for this particular manifodl setup.

i woudlnt blame the manifold. i would say the problems came from a lack of knowledge and research. with the problem with the AC mount i agree cody should put the mount on or somethgin cuz i too had this problem. however i used a t3 super 60 with itnernal gate, the internal gate was what gave me a problem a t3/t4 fit no problem.

Old 02-22-2004, 12:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (project dc2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by project dc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OBD II motors started using bolts. oBD I and below used studs.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Mine is OBDII and has studs...?!
O'well... guess cause it's a D14
Old 02-22-2004, 01:35 AM

Default Re: (Nick7)

D series always came with studs, dont think they ever went to using bolts. B series i think 98 plus started using bolts/stud combo.
Old 02-22-2004, 01:46 AM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude a turbo install is never going to be a cake walk.

its your bad for thinking it would be
Old 02-22-2004, 01:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow, this strikes me as someone complaining about some pretty easy fixes. The bolt issue is simple, I am also seeing a stud in the picture that could have been used for at least one spot. Granted I was not there and can't judge how things went down or get my hands on everything, but they all seem to be VERY small problems. The car does look great, hope to see some more pictures or videos soon.
Old 02-22-2004, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Install.... What a surprise.... (Patrick)

where do u get those so called studs and what size do u get?
Old 02-22-2004, 05:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Turbo Install.... What a surprise.... (Red CiViC Hatch)

The stock B-series exhaust manifold studs are M8x1.25x37mm. The IM studs are 25mm.

The D-series exhaust manifold studs are M8x1.25x38mm.

It looks like you need all the stud you can get to properly seat the locking nut onto the stud b/c the flange is pretty thick.

You can buy metric automotive studs from the local "Ace" hardware store. The closest common size they stock is usually a 35mm length stud.

If you guys want to use the stock studs, I've got like 10 of them just laying around that you can have b/c I swap 8 of the 10 to bolts.
Old 02-22-2004, 05:31 AM

Default Re: Turbo Install.... What a surprise.... (Red CiViC Hatch)

For your manifold fitment problem... try puting your exhaust manifold gasket on the manifold and see if all the holes match up..... i bet you when the holes were being drilled they had the gasket on backwords meaning the 2 stud holes were oposite of what they were suppose to be. this happend to me and i had to take it to a machine shop and they regrilled out the 2 stud holes to match with the gasket on the right way.

if u look on your gasket you will notice one stud hole is lower than the other which if drilled opposit of what it is suppose to be will miss-align all the other holes for the bolts.

i dont know if u have figured out the problem already, but i hope this helps.

[just read that u already fixed the porblem.] heheh N/M
Old 02-22-2004, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tad)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dude a turbo install is never going to be a cake walk.

its your bad for thinking it would be </TD></TR></TABLE>

True, every install of a aftermarket part can and usually do have little problems like you have. Like was said before, why not use the stud right below the bolt? And did you check and see what others were running as far as oil return lines on the lovefab before you bought the kit from Stan?

These are very minor problems and something you would have known if you would have asked or searched before. Don't blame the manifold.
Old 02-22-2004, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nsxmatt)

haha, It's pretty rough that you hacked such a nice part you could have cut the head off a bolt and made your own stud in 5 min. At least the car might be quick
Old 02-22-2004, 07:08 AM

Default Re: (nsxmatt)

you know what it hought was weird, they are doing a turbo install and look how clean they are . the guy with the glove has a little grease here and there nothing big and the other guy doesnt have one spot! sorry i just thought that as weird

BTW if you dont want that manifold ill trade you for my SPF manifold
Old 02-22-2004, 07:41 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Unsung EM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

First, bolts don't fit in the top:

...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Another easy fix would be to put the bolt through the manifold (like it's tightened on the block) then slowly thread the bolt as you hold the manifold. I had to do that with my turbo, the bolts were to long so i put all 4 bolts through the turbo, and then matched the turbo up with the manifold and tightened them ....simple fixes for all your problems, if your getting worked up over these simple problems, wait till the real ones arise
Old 02-22-2004, 07:49 AM

that mani is still sexy as hell though.........wooooo weeeee
Old 02-22-2004, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Install.... What a surprise.... (b16ahybrid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16ahybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Another easy fix would be to put the bolt through the manifold (like it's tightened on the block) then slowly thread the bolt as you hold the manifold. I had to do that with my turbo, the bolts were to long so i put all 4 bolts through the turbo, and then matched the turbo up with the manifold and tightened them ....simple fixes for all your problems, if your getting worked up over these simple problems, wait till the real ones arise</TD></TR></TABLE>

Judging by the picture he provided... that will not work. The angle is too severe to get that bolt through the flange whether the manifolds on the head or sitting on his bedroom floor.

But... like everyone else said, a simple stud/nut combo would definitely do the trick there. I would think thats a given with the design of these EL manifolds.

- Louis
Old 02-22-2004, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

try to angle the 45 degree male to male adapter towards the front side of he car leaning to the driver side. This way you have some length to turn the oil line around to the oil pan.

notice the male nipple is facing AWAY from the block.

Again, facing away

Hope this helps.

stan
Old 02-22-2004, 09:46 AM

Default Re: Turbo Install.... What a surprise.... (Flamenco-T)

Thanks stan, but theres not that much room. Just putting the blue elbow fitting up to the turbo flange elbow fitting leaves about an inch of room. Unfortuately I don't think there's enough room to that. I think we've got a fix, super ghetto, but hopefully it won't leak and it'll work.

Quick Reply: Turbo Install.... What a surprise....