Notices

Turbo install tomorrow - any last minute preps?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo install tomorrow - any last minute preps?

Sup guys, I'm getting my kit put in tomorrow at TDC Tuning. I have everything for the kit but would like to know any last minute preps I can do for the car or just anything to know in general before making the transition from slow to boosted.

The kit:
Car is a 96 Integra LS
Spoolin Performance Log manifold
Spoolin Performance 2.5" Downpipe
Spoolin Performance mild dumptube for 38mm WG
T3/T04e 57 trim .63 a/r
SSAC 38mm Wastegate (8 psi spring)
SSAC 26"x8"x3" FMIC
SSAC 55mm BOV
Golden Eagle Vacuum Manifold
Glowshift Boost Gauge
DSM 450cc Injectors (Already installed)
KTeller 3" Exhaust
JCW 2.5" Aluminized charge pipes
Tuner Toyz oil line kit
New oil pan and exhaust manifold gasket
PLX M-300
12" Slim Fan
Vacuum Hose
Silicon Couplers and hose clamps

Here's a few pics:

Car is running on uberdata, comfortably running N/A on the DSMs on a basemap.

Any last minute advice?
Old 03-19-2006, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo install tomorrow - any last minute preps? (Kowalski)

Yea soak all your manifold bolts with that spray..
It makes them easier to get off.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

drain any old gas, put in some 93 change your spark plug wires,plugs "colder ones" rotor, cap, New oil, oil filter. remember to gap the spark plugs at .30 and work your way down if its not runing right. o ya might as well change your fuel filter too get it tuned!
Old 03-19-2006, 08:32 AM

Default Re: Turbo install tomorrow - any last minute preps? (Under_Pressure)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Under_Pressure &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">drain any old gas, put in some 93 change your spark plug wires,plugs "colder ones" rotor, cap, New oil, oil filter. remember to gap the spark plugs at .30 and work your way down if its not runing right. o ya might as well change your fuel filter too get it tuned!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry forgot some stuff.

Filled up on 93 Octane today
Have new bosch plug wires
Have BRK 7's (The one step colder, dont remember exact part no)

What are they pregapped at? I'll regap them tonight i suppose.
I'll provide him with New oil and filter.
It's being street tuned by me on Uberdata.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:46 AM

just curious what your whole set up ran u? i cant decide if i want to go with the greddy bolt on and spend the extra $$...or piece it together. thanks
Old 03-19-2006, 09:01 AM

Default Re: Turbo install tomorrow - any last minute preps? (20civic00)

Around 2 grand

Maybe a little more, i'll figure it all out later.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:15 AM

Default Re: Turbo install tomorrow - any last minute preps? (20civic00)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 20civic00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just curious what your whole set up ran u? i cant decide if i want to go with the greddy bolt on and spend the extra $$...or piece it together. thanks </TD></TR></TABLE>

But IMO the GReddy kit isn't really worth it. For the money you spend on that kit you can get a far superior pieced kit and you'll end up learning a lot more about the parts etc.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:01 AM

^^^ i agree. i would piece together a kit before i bought one.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heh wish i could of put it in for ya ;-)...its k ill be buoding a few inthe next couple weeks...look forward to seeing some of these faster whips at the rockingham mette come juneish
Old 03-19-2006, 11:26 AM

Default Re: (drumking15)

Do you have a shop in Mass?
Old 03-19-2006, 01:05 PM

ssac
Old 03-19-2006, 01:08 PM

ditch the ssac 38mm wg and get a tial. i'd use a turbonetics deltagate before i'd use a ssac wg.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo install tomorrow - any last minute preps? (chrisgottigsr)

hardware? gaskets? flange for back of the downpipe? walbro fuel pump?
Old 03-19-2006, 01:13 PM

Thats where you're ignorant at.
The ssac and tial 38mm wastegate is almost entirely the same - dimmensionally. And I'm yet to hear of any problems

Some people say - oh, they cause boost creep. But they always end up having the wastegate mounted in a fucked up position. There's nothing wrong with their wastegates.

Oh, get a new headgasket.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:36 PM

Default Re: (The Weather Man)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The Weather Man &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thats where you're ignorant at.
The ssac and tial 38mm wastegate is almost entirely the same - dimmensionally. And I'm yet to hear of any problems

Some people say - oh, they cause boost creep. But they always end up having the wastegate mounted in a fucked up position. There's nothing wrong with their wastegates.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

dimensions. lol. ok you go ahead and use it then. do your research on ssac products, there's plenty info on their stuff on here. i'll just stick with tial sport. what do you say joe?
Old 03-19-2006, 01:44 PM

Default Re: (Kowalski)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kowalski &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do you have a shop in Mass?</TD></TR></TABLE>
i do a lot of sidejobs outa my garage....mostly all on a referal basis...the shops in this area are pretty decent...i just offer my services cheaper than most because i work outa my garage...it have 0 overhead so i can undercut most but a couple hundred bucks...which helps to the low budget builder...
Old 03-19-2006, 01:51 PM

Default Re: (chrisgottigsr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chrisgottigsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

dimensions. lol. ok you go ahead and use it then. do your research on ssac products, there's plenty info on their stuff on here. i'll just stick with tial sport. what do you say joe?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No. See, that just lets me know that you're just on the ssac sucks bandwagon. Yes its true that a lot of their stuff is poor quality; however, almost everyone says their wastegates and bovs are good quality. Do your searching. i've done my researching.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:58 PM

my final response is do what you want its you engine and turbo. all im saying a wastegate is a very important part and i personally wouldn't 1/2 *** on it. that just me . do what you want man. im not gonna clutter this mans thread with arguing.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:39 PM

Default Re: (chrisgottigsr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chrisgottigsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my final response is do what you want its you engine and turbo. all im saying a wastegate is a very important part and i personally wouldn't 1/2 *** on it. that just me . do what you want man. im not gonna clutter this mans thread with arguing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm glad that was your final response. There are enough ****** SSAC threads. Infact, i've read them - which is why I'm running the WG. Actually that was half the reason, the other half is that I PERSONALLY know someone who's running the SSAC WG and BOV on his turbo accord and it has been running fine for over a year. Please no more SSAC sucks comments, my kit is not changing.

I listed gaskets already, I also have the turbo -&gt; manifold gasket which I forgot to list.
I'm running the stock fuel pump. Should be fine for 8 psi.

Why would I need a new head gasket? This isn't a D-Series

Drum King - How much do you charge to install a kit such as mine? My little brother is going to be getting a kit for his D series.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:54 PM

Because a lot of headgaskets blow after a turbo install. Usually when breaking in. Just a suggestion.
Old 03-19-2006, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the headgasket should never blow if tuned correctly, not sure where that misinformation came from?

do you have the other components i listed? mainly the exhaust flange and the hardware? i strongly suggest a fuel pump. i wouldnt install your parts with out one, especially with a 57trim on 8psi....maybe if you had a t25 or something.

i personally have had issues with multiple ssac 38mm knockoffs, which when changing NOTHING other than the wastegate....all problems cleared up. as much as i hate to admit it, i have had a few of them that didnt have any problems.

i just think you are really brave taking a chance on the fuel and the wastegate. other than that everyting looks alright. best of luck
Old 03-19-2006, 04:32 PM

Default Re: (Kowalski)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kowalski &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Drum King - How much do you charge to install a kit such as mine? My little brother is going to be getting a kit for his D series.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i usually charge $500 for the install...but that includes me weld'n & fab the charge piping and dp and dumptube, install of fuel pump etc...plus the actual install...you just buy the ubends and i make it all work weldin the flanges what not...also if you have a chipped ecu...i suually do some minor street tuning so the car is driveable and safe and not going to blow up...then i always recomend tuning on the dyno w/ a few of my associates...matt @ ams or bailhatch @ f1dyno in me...both are great tuners...and just personal preferences...but every build is different and im always open to suggestions and can work side by side w/ the customer/client
Old 03-19-2006, 04:42 PM

Default Re: (Turbo-charged)

Don't have the exhaust flange and am probably missing a FEW pieces of hardware (if anything). This is why I'm taking it to a fabrication shop and not doing it myself

Hopefully the stock fuel pump holds out for a little while until I get a walboro. We'll just have to see how it goes with the 38mm and the stock pump. Thanks for the help Turbo-Charged.

That sounds like a fair price drumking, especialy with street tuning. What kind of engine management systems are you proficient with?
Old 03-19-2006, 04:57 PM

i prefer crome w/ freelog...works the best for most setups...but i can also do uber...and vafc's the ghetto rigged way...but i make it clear that at least a chipped ecu w/ crome or uber is much better
Old 03-19-2006, 06:13 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The Weather Man &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Yes its true that a lot of their stuff is poor quality; however, almost everyone says their wastegates and bovs are good quality. Do your searching. i've done my researching. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I've never been brave (or stupid) enough to buy ssac stuff, but plenty of guys I trust say don't buy the wastegates.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The Weather Man &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Do your searching. i've done my researching. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Hey, I noticed in your signature that your 1st project is soon to be boosted. The pictures of your tial wastegate are nice too.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The Weather Man &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Because a lot of headgaskets blow after a turbo install. Usually when breaking in. Just a suggestion.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's almost signature worthy.

Back on topic: I think my best advice is to mount every last thing before you install the oil pan fitting for the drain. It'll give you an absolute look at where everything will be and it should come out better than just taking the pan off and putting a hole in some random spot. Once your done drilling, I haven't found anything better to take out the metal shavings than swishing some gas around in the pan and dumping. It leaves your pan amazing clean too. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Turbo install tomorrow - any last minute preps?