Notices

Turbo Install Day one....what a day....

Old 10-09-2002, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Install Day one....what a day....

Well I started to install my turbo yesterday, looks pretty funny outside, bc I'm in an apartment, so I took up the handicapped spot in front of my door, and the car is up on jackstands, still to this moment. EH, you gotta do what ya gotta do to join the darkside. Well I got the exhaust manifold and Pipes off ok. There were a few stubborn bolts on the brace to the block, and the pipe to the cat. Busted the sawzall out on those. Got done with that and test fitted the whole Mani/Turbo assembly. Looks good, got everything aligned and ready for my oil drain line. (BTW I'm using a Greddy Sohc Kit) I pulled the pan, got ready to drill that thing, then had to ride my bike over to the engineering building to grab 2 bolts to attach it to the pan. Returned a half hour later to install that, and the pan back on the car. Starting to get dark now, so I bust out the maglite flashlight. Get the pan on and torqued, and I decide to move on to the Oil Tee behind the block. First off, whoever the A....OLE was who tried to tell me that the block was BSP, theyre dead wrong, My greddy feed line was however, so I did have the adapters. Well you see a close nipple and that tee, puts it really close to this suport tube/bar thing on the back of the block. So my tee is all ghetto-ized, I'm pretty sure its in there far enuf, Its hard to turn it up there on the back of the block to get really snug. Only problem is now, the oil sender wire is one inch too short. I'm planning on going in with some strippers and extending the wire. Then I can hook up the oil feed and get this baby boosting.
Day 2:
I've had classes thus far, and I stopped here at home for lunch, I decided to put the FMU on. Damn that was easy compared to the rest. My buds show up at 3, classes end at 3, so we can get rolling on finishing up. I worry about reaching the oil line end on the tee to tighten it. Hopefully all goes well. Wish me luck guys, I wanna get boostin already. I've waited close to 2 years for this.

Jim

Cliff Notes: Turbo install is no-where near as easy as it looks.
Old 10-09-2002, 08:50 AM

Default Re: Turbo Install Day one....what a day.... (jwork101)

joining the darkside

keeping some handicap person from the handicap spot

doing it all yourself
Old 10-09-2002, 09:08 AM

Default Re: Turbo Install Day one....what a day.... (brcivic411)

Haha, yea well I keep myself out of that spot all year round, and no one has parked in it the year I've been here, so hopefully no one will get angry. Damn I need a garage.
Jim
Old 10-09-2002, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Install Day one....what a day.... (994door)

Hahaha. hey whats up Jim. dont worry about this install, most of the hard stuff is done. hopefully we can get the beast up and running after our classes, were gonna have to roll all over campus showing it off and then take it to the corn fields to open that shiat up.
Old 10-09-2002, 08:51 PM

Default Re: Turbo Install Day one....what a day.... (CivicEX98*)

OH MAN, were so close, as Matt said up above. I had a problem with my oil return tho, it was an inch too short, so i figured id plug it, I figured at least oil could get in the turbo, but it forces its way out from the input fittings. I'm gong to ride my bike over to get some stuff to extend that hose tommorrow. Once thats done I can take it out and boost hopefully. I just hope that all my pipes seal up really nice so I can boost it. I did get to pull my car out like 30 ft and then gun it in first into the spot. Sounds soo good to hear it spool open downpipe!
I'm almost there guys! Joining the darkside OOOOH so soon.
Thanks for all the help along the way guys!
Jim
Old 10-09-2002, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Turbo Install Day one....what a day.... (jwork101)

The back of the block IS 1/8" bsp, but you can put a 1/8" npt fitting in there. There is a tiny difference between the two but they can be put together. The BSP is a tiny bit smaller than the NPT so when putting an NPT fitting in the block (like most turbo kits) it is a little tough to get started but it will go. Also, remember that all pipe thread fittings are tapered thread. The more you screw them the tighter they get. You also need to use teflon tape to seal the fitting and prevent oil leaks. Hope this is of some help...
Old 10-10-2002, 01:51 AM

Default Re: Turbo Install Day one....what a day.... (tony1)

arent you supposed to use teflon paste instead of tape?? thats what i thought.
Old 10-10-2002, 02:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Install Day one....what a day.... (boostinb18)

Sweet.. congrats dude, hope you get it done and working without any major snags. I remember my first day with the turbo... even better my first day at 14PSI... MMMMMMM

"Once you've boosted, you never want to go back."