Notices

turbo install, but no boost...HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo install, but no boost...HELP

I just installed a turbo kit on my 99 integra that I pieced together from used parts. Probably not the best way to go but anyway...it's a rebuilt T3 turbo that originally had an internal wastegate and most likely came off a saab or volvo..I plugged the original wastegate holes and tapped the compressor side to hook up to my wastegate. It has a .52 exhaust side and .48 compressor. I can hear it spool up but am not getting any boost at all, except once. I floored it and at 5k rpm it went to about 1psi for about a second and I heard the bov when I shifted, then the ecu went into limp mode since I didnt have a map sensor bypass installed at the time. Thinking it was a boost leak, I checked all the pipes and changed the bov setting to hard, same thing. Then I bypassed all the intercooler piping/bov and just went straight from the turbo to the intake manifold. Still nothing. I thought it should spool up around 3k or less since the turbo is so small. Started the car up and took the intake off of the turbo so I could see the compressor wheel. The other day it was spinning at idle, today it doesn't, although it spins if I hit the gas. Also seems to be leaking some black oil out of the compressor side although the oil in the car was changed 2 days ago. Any ideas what else to try or some kind of turbo "test" to make sure it is working? I can leave the gas floored in 3rd gear, about 4k rpm, boost gauge still reads zero and I can feel it's not doing anything.
Thanks for the help.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:54 PM

Default Re: turbo install, but no boost...HELP (jared99)

Your sure that the wastegate is working properly? Sounds to me that it isnt feeding through the wastegate.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:15 PM

Default Re: turbo install, but no boost...HELP (jared99)

If your seeing oil coming out the compressor side of the turbo then more than likely you blew an oil seal. Check for shaft play....if there is then something is blown....especially considering the oil leak.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:31 PM

Default Re: turbo install, but no boost...HELP (onemoreday21)

I don't think it's the wastegate, it's not even coming into play until I make boost, which I'm not. I've checked to make sure it's not stuck open or anything and tried 5/9lb springs. Can check for shaft play but when I took it out the other day it seemed fine and wasn't boosting then either.