Notices

turbo instalation experts can you tell me where i'm messing up?

Old 01-15-2004, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo instalation experts can you tell me where i'm messing up?

well i put my brand new sc34 on last night and this is what happened. oil came out by the side near the oil feed and little bits of white smoke. any clues? i'm using a oil retunr setup from stan that hugs up right under the dp. no up hill do i need a restricter is this turbo blown? please help i'm about to lose my mind.

you can see the oil near the feed. and no that is not my permanent filter.

heres another
Old 01-15-2004, 10:33 AM

Default Re: turbo instalation experts can you tell me where i'm messing up? (arjusmc)

could be a bad seal, or maybe the oil return is backing up (how about a better pic of the return, it doesnt look great in the last pic but its hard to see) or maybe its just all the **** burning off because its a new turbo. when i installed my turbo it smoked alot for a good 10 minutes after warm up.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo instalation experts can you tell me where i'm messing up? (arjusmc)

sounds like you have a leak on your oil feed.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:47 AM

Default Re: turbo instalation experts can you tell me where i'm messing up? (Cruiser G)

i misread and thought you had the smoke coming out of the exhaust, if its coming off the turbo and not out of the exhaust than its probably a leaky oil feed. if its coming out of the exhaust than pull the downpipe and check for any oil in there.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:49 AM

Default Re: turbo instalation experts can you tell me where i'm messing up? (horror)

no its coming off of the turbo. i just checked under my car and i have a small puddle of oil under the retunr it seems like oil is leaking from there i'm going to go take some pics of the return line and post them.
Old 01-15-2004, 11:23 AM

your line doesnt look to be tight enough at all. you need to tighten those fittings / tape them.
Old 01-15-2004, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you have a gasket on you oil return?
Old 01-15-2004, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: turbo instalation experts can you tell me where i'm messing up? (incogNitto)

teflon tape on the threads of the oil feed
Old 01-15-2004, 11:50 AM

Default Re: turbo instalation experts can you tell me where i'm messing up? (igo4bmx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by igo4bmx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">teflon tape on the threads of the oil feed </TD></TR></TABLE>

yea make sure you clean the threads good, then teflon them and make sure you get it nice and tight. hey atleast its not the one on the back of the block that is leaking, such a pain the *** to get to.
Old 01-15-2004, 11:57 AM

Default Re: turbo instalation experts can you tell me where i'm messing up? (horror)

yeah but the back of the block wouldn't make my turbo smoke i'm going to go snap some more pics. i'll post them in a lil bit
Old 01-15-2004, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

from the picture, it doesn't look like you have ANY teflon tape on your oil feed line, and oil return is probably the same right?

You have to put teflon tape on between every fitting possible even the one out of the back of the block. make sure they are tight after that and you should be good.

Your probably spilling out small amounts of oil from all of these places and the turbo is burning it up from the heat.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo instalation experts can you tell me where i'm messing up? (mike1114)

Use some teflon tape or I personally use High Temp RTV Sealant(Ultra Copper RTV Sealant). Then make sure you tighten it down really tight. You should be good to go then.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:23 PM

heres some of my oil return

and here is where its leaking from

i thought these were supposed to be leakproof?
Old 01-15-2004, 12:31 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by arjusmc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah but the back of the block wouldn't make my turbo smoke i'm going to go snap some more pics. i'll post them in a lil bit</TD></TR></TABLE>

how about you read what i said. i did not say it is smoking because the feed on the back of the block is leaking, i said "hey at least" its not the one on the back because that one is a bitch to get to. it looks as if the feed that is leaking on his turbo is easily accessible, quick fix!
Old 01-15-2004, 12:39 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by horror &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

how about you read what i said. i did not say it is smoking because the feed on the back of the block is leaking, i said "hey at least" its not the one on the back because that one is a bitch to get to. it looks as if the feed that is leaking on his turbo is easily accessible, quick fix!</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats not what i meant, i meant that i would rather have it be the back of the block so i knew my turbo was fine. and i just cleaned it all up, put some teflon on there. i had it on there pretty good, so i decided to start her up and was leaking right out of the feed. thanks for the help guys. hopefully i can just tighten it down some more. i might take it of off the car and get some really good torque on it.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

put some really good torque? you dont need to torque it down that hard...just get some tape on all your threads....doesnt seem like you used any at all.. so drain out your oil tape your fittings and try it again. GL
Old 01-15-2004, 02:58 PM

Default Re: turbo instalation experts can you tell me where i'm messing up? (Cramerox)

you need to tighten your fittings a lot more and use teflon tape

thread ends here.
Old 01-15-2004, 04:31 PM

Default Re: turbo instalation experts can you tell me where i'm messing up? (94goldjungsr)

i got every thing workin right, no more smoke. i did use teflon on the oil return i'm going to redo that and see if i can't get it to stop. thanks for the help guys.