Notices

Turbo Heat Shield Idea

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Heat Shield Idea

I was thinking about keeping my car cooler because over the summer months my car was overheating, especially on the interstate(constant spool) from the south carolina heat. I recently purchased some heat insulation. I'm gonna try to put that on the exhaust side of the turbo but I was also thinking that I might would wanna try to fab up some kind of heat shield so that: 1 it would keep the rain off my turbo (I have a topmount and an invader style CF hood) and 2 it would help with my cooling problem. so Im not sure what material I should use yet but I was thinking about the design... I would make it start behind the intercooler and make a duct to direct air to the exhaust side of the turbo only and keep the air separate from the intake side, that way I could make a c02 intercooler sprayer and it would also maybe cool the turbo down too and it wouldn't get sucked up by the intake side of the turbo... Does anyone understand this? or better yet has anyone ever tried this before?
Old 01-09-2009, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Turbo Heat Shield Idea

Sounds interesting enough. Doubt anyone has tried spraying the exhaust housing though. :p

What are you using for coolant; what fan are you using and what temp is the fan set to switch on?
Old 01-09-2009, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I used this kind off heat shield.works good for me.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

spraying co2 sounds pretty complicated and im not sure how effective that would be. the heatsheild ideas would probably help though or just pick up a turbo blanket if you dont feel like fabbing something.

i run an evo style hood with spal 13" fan turning on at 190*, i hoping not to have any heating issues this summer but if i do i think turbo blanket is next on the to do list.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

before you waste too much time atp turbo makes these for like 35$
http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/me...egory_Code=BCS
Old 01-09-2009, 04:42 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Also, spraying C02 on the turbine housing would cause drastic changes in temperature. You actually want to make sure that the exhaust energy coming through the turbine is hot. That keeps the velocity high.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dpetro1
spraying co2 sounds pretty complicated and im not sure how effective that would be. the heatsheild ideas would probably help though or just pick up a turbo blanket if you dont feel like fabbing something.

i run an evo style hood with spal 13" fan turning on at 190*, i hoping not to have any heating issues this summer but if i do i think turbo blanket is next on the to do list.
where did you get the evo style hood for your eg?
Old 01-10-2009, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its a CF hood. VIS and Seibon both make them. i happen to have the VIS version

i like that ATP heat shield, cheaper than the blanket but probably a bit let effective. lloks like a good alt if you on a budget
Old 01-13-2009, 04:11 AM

Thanks! What places sell those for a gt30? I've looked before but didn't find an actual blanket like that

Oh and I'm using a slimline fan that came with my kit from peakboost. Not sure if the shop that tuned my car changed the engagement temp with my s300 or not. it may be stock temp. I have royal purple purple ice in regular coolant. It's a stock b16, with a topmount gt3076r. fluidyne rad
Old 01-13-2009, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you can change the temp yourself if you really want. just download the s300 software for yourself.

as far as the turbo blanket, they are usually universal.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T3-T4...Q5fAccessories

http://www.vsracing.net/catalog/prod...roducts_id=408
Old 01-13-2009, 06:53 AM

oh ok. Thanks a lot! but I tried to download the cal file and it wouldn't do it. I'm not sure why but there was an error message that came up. I asked the shop to e-mail me the cal file and they haven't done it yet. I think I need the cal file on my laptop first before I can do anything... I don't know why. It just said I cannot download the cal file only upload it to the ecu...
Old 01-13-2009, 06:55 AM

oh and I wasn't actually gonna spray the turbine housing directly. I was gonna spray the intercooler and maybe the over spray would go up to the exhaust side of the turbo through the shield duct... I dunno
Old 01-13-2009, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by IVGattaBeDreaming
oh ok. Thanks a lot! but I tried to download the cal file and it wouldn't do it. I'm not sure why but there was an error message that came up. I asked the shop to e-mail me the cal file and they haven't done it yet. I think I need the cal file on my laptop first before I can do anything... I don't know why. It just said I cannot download the cal file only upload it to the ecu...

yeah its probably more reliable to upload the file from your hard drive rather than trying to download it from the ecu. no reason you should get an error message though. make sure all the drivers are installed correctly
Old 01-13-2009, 08:05 AM

I did that... It just wouldn't let me download it. I dunno if the shop made it that way but I might can mess with it this weekend and make sure that they are correct. Thanks.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by srmofo
before you waste too much time atp turbo makes these for like 35$
http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/me...egory_Code=BCS
OR. you can buy a small diameter cooking pot and cut it to cover the turbo nice and snug
Old 01-13-2009, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I use a turbo blanket I bought thru T1... WOW, makes a HUGE difference in underhood temps and engine bay heat saturation from the radiating heat of the turbine housing. It contains the heat of the turbine side extremely well... good enough that after a 20 minute drive on the highway with some nice n hot egts... I pulled over, popd the hood, and was able to put my hand right on the blanket/ bag to find it was only warm to the touch. note i checked the surface temp before i touched (just in case) with a handheld temp gun i use for checking nitro rc motors head temp for tuning.

Seriously night and day difference... much more effective than just a metal partial heat shield.

http://www.t1raceparts.com/Turbine_B..._p/blanket.htm
Old 01-15-2009, 06:42 AM

Thanks everyone! I ordered my T1 turbo blanket last night. I think it'll solve my probs for the summer, hopefully. haha. Anyone know of an air filter that would fit on a topmount gt30 like in my avatar? there's not a lot of room in between the head and the rad support, any suggestions there?