Notices

Turbo H22 tranny choice...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo H22 tranny choice...

So, since there is an adaption kit for the H-series motors for the B-series transmissions, the selection of transmissions is broadened. I currently have hatch running the stock h22 non-lsd tranny. When I slap in my turbo h22 motor, I want to have lsd (wouldn't go without it!). I know the b-series tranny's have shorter gearing (most of them), so it would be quicker all-motor. Anyone know (technically, not opinions) on what would be a better choice for a turbo build (approx 12-14psi on GT28r, so quick spool up)? LSD prelude tranny, or one of the many b-series available? I don't want too short of gears, but what is too short when I'm spooled around 3000rpms?

Thanks for your fact-based advice!
Old 07-22-2008, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo H22 tranny choice... (Tyrant_007)

Anyone ever look into this before? There has to be someone...
Old 07-22-2008, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

T2W4--- Hydraulic Tranny with LSD

off an h22 euro r

Old 07-22-2008, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If youre looking for H series trannys, NOT all of the B series are shorter... In fact other than the M2F4 (M2Y4 M2A4 M2B4), the majority of the H trannys are geared very closely to a GSR tranny... The M2F4 has a pretty short fifth and is closer to a B16 tranny. 1 2 and 3 are VERY close (virtually identical on ALL of them)... The M2S4 (H23 tranny) is a bit wider spaced, with a taller fifth but the same 4.266 FD. All H seies except the Euro R have this FD ratio.

The B series trannys ARE NOT internally stronger than the H trannys either... Believe me, Ive blown up 7 H trannys at my power level. The only advantage the B trannys have is that you have a choice of aftermarket **** to put in them (Gears, handcuffs etc.).

M factory is currently developing a straightcut gearset for the H/F tranny case, and Saenz already makes one (I have one).......

you will hear alot of people whom dont know what the hell they are talking about INSISTING that the B trannys are stronger. They are missinformed or retarded... Trust me.

My setup is in a CD5, so the H2 B setup would have to be a 1 off... As Id have to get a B tranny, Adapter kit (ID make)clutch and all the other **** no one makes for my car its not economically viable or practical for me.

In your case if I were you id THINK about it, but not do it IF I was under the impression the B trannys are advantageous for any other reason besides availability of parts for upgrading. If you are putting the thing together for the first time, H2 B MAY be worth it... But remember, the H trannys are actually BIGGER AND STRONGER inside. Period. Ive measured all the **** and know it to be true.

I have quite a bit of EXP with about all the H trannys and their quirks, so If you need any help, id be happy to answer ?s... NO ONE here could help me whan I was going mad, so I think its only fair I help anyone I can with that info.

Brian
The following 2 users liked this post by extralargenog:
Old 07-22-2008, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ATRekh2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ATRekh2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">T2W4--- Hydraulic Tranny with LSD

off an h22 euro r

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not a really practical option... Parts are almost non existant for M2B4s let alone the Euro R tranny.... A much better solution if you pLAN on a H tranny would be either the M2Y4 or M2F4 with OBX or Quaiffe diff in it.

Also: The OEM LSD tranny cases ARE different as you cannot use a honda LSD in a NON LSD case. Trust this....

I have an OBX diff in my straightcut box and it is FLAWLESS.... Since the LSD and gearset install NO issues... Car hooks and RAILS through the short gearset... Sucks on the freeway a bit though, even with the 26" M and H Racemasters

Hees some of the carnage I managed in a few of my trannys:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Did SUPER work on 2nd and fourth in this one:

2nd and fourth are the gears I kept breaking.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (extralargenog)

Thanks for the details guys, thats exactly what I wanted. Sorry about those teeth...ouch! I already have an h22 swap in my car so using the same tranny, and not having to worry about mounting differently and such, I will probably stay with the same tranny I have. Are aftermarket LSD's able to fit both LSD and non-LSD casings? I don't see them listed that way. I've been looking at the quaiffe LSD and stare at the $900+ pricetag as if the numbers will change. I haven't ran into anyone using the OBX LSD and I hear they are very similar in design (almost a rip-off). How do they hold up in comparison? Are they made any cheaper or have any flaws? If they are reliable and their specs go far beyond 450hp (I'll probably never go beyond that), then it seems like an easy decision. Most threads I read are people just saying that it is about the same and cheaper so they will break...no proof though. $425 sounds reasonable. I don't believe they would make a whole line of products that just didn't work at all. lol!

http://www.erzperformance.com/...0.htm

Thanks for your help! Much appreciated!
Old 07-22-2008, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tyrant_007)

Im making over 630WHP in a 2950LB car and BEAT THE SHEEEEEEEIT out of it. No more problems. Saenz straight cut gears/OBX diff and Tilton FCV

The OBX/Quaiffe will not fit the JDM LSD case
Old 07-22-2008, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (extralargenog)

When installing the OBX diff, did you put in new OEM bearings? Also I've heard some people shim because they don't fit quite like stock. Or is that another great-american internet myth? I probably won't do the install myself as I've never cracked open a transmission case before and I'd like to know what to tell the person who does. I'll check my tranny code to make sure it's not JDM...I just know it's 92-96 spec. Thanks for allowing me to tap into your vein-o-knowledge!
Old 07-22-2008, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ya man get some new bearings pressed on the diff, and id definately check for preload (shims). Mine was way too tight and I nad to order new shims for it. Not hard at all to do.

If your case is anything but the T2W4 or M2B4 youll be fine
Old 07-22-2008, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I personaly like longer gears like the h23 or f22's for boost. Stay in that power range
Old 07-22-2008, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Under_Pressure)

Turns out I do have a JDM tranny (M2A4). Bummer. That means I need to get a USDM transmission in order to have parts availablity for it. Anyone have a Prelude Hyper-Rev mag? Otherwise I can probably find a tranny with LSD already in it for the cost of the LSD and another tranny. Let me know if you see any good deals floating around. I'll be looking in the OR/WA area.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Under_Pressure)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Under_Pressure &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I personaly like longer gears like the h23 or f22's for boost. Stay in that power range</TD></TR></TABLE>

SRSLY??? Youve never done much testing then....

... F series gear rattios are dictated by the lower revving characteristics of the motor... (making the higher cogs NECCESSARY) The difference between a H23 and 5th gen lude trannys are negligable till fifth really..... but the sluggishness of the f trannys acceleration is READILY appearant once (if) you chnage to a H tranny (been there).

TRUST ME Ive had a great number of ALL of them. The REAL killer was when I put the shorter Saenz set in my ****... I gaiued 3 cars on a car I usually tie when we run (bopth at 500WHP level - its retarded quick at 640WHP).... It would be retarded to put a tranny in that will kill the H's tendency to want to rev QUICKLY, the car WILL be slower with it (Or even the H23 tranny) in it.

The F tranny is complete and utter gayness mated to an H motor. Period. If you do alot of freeway miles, Id still go with a M2Y4 over the H23 M2S4 as well....

The diference between the M2F4 (fourth gen USDM) is the most noticeable out of all of them as far as ratios, the fifth is really short (like a b tranny) youll be doing 4500 at 80 MPH....

F tranny for H motor is a bad choice unless you are going to Bonneville or some ****. FOr a F BOOSTED SERIES, ID put a H23 tranny in and not anything else for the H camp as well... (been there)

Tyrant: The OBX/Quaife WILL fit in the JDM NON LSD case.. Even the JDM ones (Which you have)... Youre good to go mang.