Notices

Turbo gurus, need advice on turbo pipe dream (nissan/k03)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo gurus, need advice on turbo pipe dream (nissan/k03)

It's been a long time since I've been back to HT, so please bare with me.

Why am I asking about boosting my 240SX on Honda Tech? Because I spent enough time here in the past to know that you guys have lots of turbo knowledge and most of you with you had a Nissan.

Here's the deal, a couple years ago I sold my DOHC ZC CRX in favor of a '92 Nissan 240SX. Bought with a last leg engine I drove it home and put in a lower mileage KA24de. Are you gonna ask why I didn't go with the SR20? Because I like the bottom end on the KA and it was freaking cheap, and I'm cheap.

The car is a champ, very fun and economical, but I have a spare engine/tranny just sitting in my shop, now to add to this my friend is an Audi service writer and I get freebies from him, like Audi turbos replaced under warranty that really weren't bad. So far I got one and I think he has 2 more to give me. They are from twin turbo setups, and from a little searching I think these are K03s? I haven't really looked at the one I have.

Reading some past threads on the K03s I see the Honda community doesn't like them because their engines rev high and outbreath the K03. That's fine and good, but a KA engine isn't a high rev engine, it's good for torque, and I would rather increase my torque than my top end.

So, with work on my spare KA24DE block, would the k03 deliver some additional bottom end to me? I'm not looking for a torque monster, just some more punch off the line. If I want a monster I'll just take the family to visit my parents and borrow the keys to one of dad's Grand Nationals.

TIA for any intelligent discussion.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Turbo gurus, need advice on turbo pipe dream (muskrat)

Update on turbos... they came off 2.7 Audi A6. Still k03? I don't know.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Turbo gurus, need advice on turbo pipe dream (muskrat)

You don't want to fvck w/ Borg warner k03s. They will run out of breath early even on your ka24. On a 1.8t (oe vw/audi application) it runs out of breath well before 5k. Full boost at 2400rpm. Can't make much more than 200hp/240ft lbs w/o putting it completely off the compressor map on that engine. Don't bother with em. Btw used k03s are worht like $50 top since all the audis have "oil sludge" issues due to conventional oil and 90 degree oil feed lines that tend to clog and starve the turbo. A k04 would do nicely for you but they're having supply issues so they're priced at over $800 new.