Notices

turbo gsr woes... now what? help

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default turbo gsr woes... now what? help

ok soo i have read many stories on here and thought "wow that some shitty luck... that sucks" well i just hit my month of bad luck with my car recently and now need some input. ill start with the story.....
about 2 weeks ago i melted a piston driving on the freeway. ate the compression rings, everything. a took apart the bottom end in the car, rehoned the hole, put in a new piston, fixed. it ran flawless and back to normal. im in the clear right? wrong.
i took it on a road trip for memorial day weekend over the mountains, the trip over was perfect. suns out, smashing over the mountains, lifes good. when i take off to come back i noticed a small oil leak on my bottom end, thought it was the oil return from the pan to the turbo and thought "ill fix it when i get home." come to find out it was my oil pan gasket starting to blow out, and in the middle of the mountains it finished. i lost oil, alot, and my oil light cam on showing i lost oil pressure. i killed the ignition and coasted to the side of the road and got ready to tow it home. get it home, change the oil pan gasket, fire it up and not i have a knock. thought maybe its valves out of adjustment, drive it down the street and it gets louder. bring it back into the garage and it keeps knocking and gets louder. i turn it off and now it wont start anymore. take off the oil pan to find small paper thin shavings of aluminum in the pan, the oil pump is clogged. i also removed the cam main caps and thats where the aluminum came from, the cams slightly shaved the main caps.

so now my question is are the main caps no good anymore? the matal taken off is so small it is hardly noticable. i am going to buy another block and throw it in while i build the gsr (doing a 600+whp build now). my dad tells me its a rod knock and not in the head, and i have to agree it does sound like it in the bottom end. all the valves are good, cams are perfect and no damage to the head other then the small shavings to the main caps. any input or suggestions? thanks
Old 06-01-2009, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: turbo gsr woes... now what? help

so you spun a bearing. You'll need a new line hone at the least, and changing out all the bearings, mains and rods. You were too low on oil, the bearings heated up. It'd be wise to have the crank inspected and micropolished as well.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you had shavings in the pump, oil carried the shavings up to the head, shavings in the cams will do you no good. You'll have to have your cams and caps checked and polished if possible.

Even with the smallest clearance differences you could have problems if they exceed the maximum allowable clearance by just a bit.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have been trying to find specs on clearance for the main caps but havent come across anything helpful for my situation. the cams i took out and inspected and thay were god. no shavings actually ran through the head i turned the car off before it had a chance im guessing.
the cams still fit snug and have no "rock" to them and i think the main thing is cleaning then up with some polish and making sure they are smooth again. im going to rebuild this block like i said and also build another head. i just wanna run it til im done with it.