Notices

Turbo GSR Idaho High School Project

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 11:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo GSR Idaho High School Project

I finally finished my turbo build that my friend and I have been working on for the past six months. Our high school offers a course called an Extended Learning Internship which is a class in which students pick a topic to research and learn about with the help of a community mentor. During the first semester of our class, we researched turbocharging and collected parts for our build which we worked on during the second semester. The project took longer than we expected because of what seemed like countless problems that we encountered. In addition, it was our first time performing major modifications to a car. We did not get it finished before the end of the school year (this did not affect our grade).

The set-up:

All stock internals B18C1
Garrett T3/TO4E 57 trim, .63 A/R
Meutek cast manifold
Tial 38mm wastegate
Tuner Toys 660cc injectors
Walbro 190lph fuel pump
PLX m300 wideband
Mototola 2.5 bar map sensor
Full 3” downpipe and exhaust
Tuner Toys oil line kit
Cometic 0.051” thick headgasket
ARP headstuds
Buddy Club cam gears
Six puck, stage 4, unsprung Competition clutch
7.5 lb Fidanza flywheel
Innovative mounts with race bushings
Half size dual core radiator and slim fan
2" charge piping to the intercooler and 2.5" after the intercooler
Golden Eagle Vacuum manifold
Hondata S300 with boost options

I had it tuned yesterday by Reid at Kaizenspeed on their Dyno Dynamics Dynometer. On 12psi, it made 237.5 whp which was converted to 264.2 whp on a Dynojet.

I want to thank both Tuner Toys and Hondata. They sponsored our project and helped us accomplish our relatively low budget build. I would highly recommend purchasing parts from Tuner Toys. Their products and customer service are outstanding. I love the S300 system that we are using. It has many great options and is very user friendly. I also wanted to thank user GetawayInMoscow, our community mentor, for all of his knowledge and help.

Before boost with Jake's (friend who helped) 300zx in the background

Last edited by TB123; 11-23-2008 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Turbo GSR Idaho High School Project (TB123)

thats a pretty cool project.

how was the "community mentor" selected ? is he a teacher at the school or just a well known local ?
Old 08-04-2008, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo GSR Idaho High School Project (DaveF)

Thanks. The community mentor was selected by us. He is a student at the University here and has lots of experience with turbocharging Hondas. We also had a faculty mentor who we selected from the teachers at the school. He is the physics teacher.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:09 AM
* B A N N E D *

thats a nice curve. any creep issues with the mani?
Old 08-04-2008, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EASY101)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EASY101 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">any creep issues with the mani?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No creep issues at all so far. It has a great wastegate location.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TB123)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TB123 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
It has a great wastegate location. </TD></TR></TABLE>
not exactly
Old 08-04-2008, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wish I had something like this in school way back when.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (black_EM1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by black_EM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I wish I had something like this in school way back when.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, it is pretty cool that we were able to get high school credit to turbocharge my car. It was a lot of work though. We had to write up huge portfolios explaining everything in detail and give presentations in the school auditorium. It was worth it in the end though.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:32 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (black_EM1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by black_EM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I wish I had something like this in school way back when.</TD></TR></TABLE>

tell me about it...I'm 29 going on 30 this fall and I still dont have a boosted honda/acura, much less back then 93'-97'. Alot of kids these days have it way better.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TB123 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah, it is pretty cool that we were able to get high school credit to turbocharge my car. It was a lot of work though. We had to write up huge portfolios explaining everything in detail and give presentations in the school auditorium. It was worth it in the end though. </TD></TR></TABLE>

thats f-ing awesome!

Modified by EASY101 at 1:38 PM 8/4/2008
Old 08-04-2008, 12:38 PM
* B A N N E D *

on another note to the op of course. Just please make sure you dont hurt yourself or someone else out on the streets. I hate to stereotype but everyone knows a lot highschool kids are inexperienced, irresponsible, and foolish drivers especially with fast cars.

Modified by EASY101 at 2:30 PM 8/4/2008
Old 08-04-2008, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cool school project your car has more left in tho just swap fuel pumps
Old 08-04-2008, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EASY101 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">on another note to the op of course. Just please make sure you dont hurt yourself or someone else out on the streets. I hate to stereotype but everyone knows a lot highschool kids are inexperienced, irresponsible, and foolish drivers especially with fast cars.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, thanks for the advice. I will be careful.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:47 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Community mentor FTW

I'm not really quite sure how this car "only" put down 264 whp...it feels really strong.

I didn't get a chance to drive it but I am anxious to see what kind of trap speeds it will put down at the track. I'm pretty convinced it has to be at least at 115 mph.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: (GetawayInMoscow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GetawayInMoscow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Community mentor FTW

I'm not really quite sure how this car "only" put down 264 whp...it feels really strong.

I didn't get a chance to drive it but I am anxious to see what kind of trap speeds it will put down at the track. I'm pretty convinced it has to be at least at 115 mph.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Man i also wish we had this kind of stuff when i left highschool!!!

I am quite confused on how it made so little horsepower at that boost level...my setup is pretty much the same other than i have a different manifold and its a bone stock/never been touched gsr..8psi it made 284whp and 10psi it made 321whp....on a dynojet...i havent dynoed it on 12 psi now but the car trappes 120mph..and weighs 2700lbs...at 321whp it trapped 114-115... maybe it was a very hot day? or the elevation up there is pretty high? i looks like it could have made more if you would have revved it higher? i took mine to 8400 and it kept making power all the way....

Either way that is one badass high school project!!!

Modified by gringotegra at 3:24 PM 8/4/2008
Old 08-04-2008, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (gringotegra)

At first I was a little disappointed with the peak power number. We were hoping to reach 300. The tuner explained to me that he could get a higher horsepower number, but overall the car would be slower because a lot of the high rpm power would drop down. I have confidence in him and think that he did a great tune.

It was a hot day and we were experiencing fairly hot intake air temperatures because of the small intercooler. The elevation was not high (about 400ft).

Maybe some better cams, intake manifold, intercooler, etc. will bring it up to 300 in the future. I think I will be content for a while as this is definitely the fastest car that I have ever driven.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:37 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gringotegra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I am quite confused on how it made so little horsepower at that boost level...my setup is pretty much the same other than i have a different manifold and its a bone stock/never been touched gsr..8psi it made 284whp and 10psi it made 321whp....on a dynojet...i havent dynoed it on 12 psi now but the car trappes 120mph..and weighs 2700lbs...at 321whp it trapped 114-115... maybe it was a very hot day? or the elevation up there is pretty high? i looks like it could have made more if you would have revved it higher? i took mine to 8400 and it kept making power all the way....
</TD></TR></TABLE>

You know what, I can't figure it out either. The guy who tuned is pretty reputable, but with that said I'm not sure he has a lot of experience with simple turbo set ups (like Jeff Evans would).

The elevation in Tri Cities where it was tuned is pretty damn low. The only thing I can think of that is holding the car back is the cast turbo manifold and possibly the stock GSR intake manifold.

I really want to see the car at a track to put the # concerns at rest.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GetawayInMoscow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I really want to see the car at a track to put the # concerns at rest.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is the Spokane track open, or will it open again?
Old 08-04-2008, 04:08 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

im pretty sure spokane is shitcanned. will not ever open again.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:29 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (1 2 NV)

The county plans to open it as a track again at some point in time.

The problem is that it needs a lot of work, so it's more complicated than just hiring a crew to run it.

There are plans to open FNSR a couple times this summer but of course that will be with out timing equipment.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good job man! Really cool HS project. Wish they had things like this when I was in school.

It's a lot of fun to drive something that you put so much work into huh?? A great feeling of accomplishment. Have fun and be careful.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (KeyserSoze)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KeyserSoze &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Good job man! Really cool HS project. Wish they had things like this when I was in school.

It's a lot of fun to drive something that you put so much work into huh?? A great feeling of accomplishment. Have fun and be careful. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks. Yeah, it feels great to be done. It was well worth it.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GetawayInMoscow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The elevation in Tri Cities where it was tuned is pretty damn low. The only thing I can think of that is holding the car back is the cast turbo manifold and possibly the stock GSR intake manifold.

.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is the exact thing that i began to think about...those are the 2 things that i dont have ... hahahaha..the first thing i ditched was the gsr IM...

and it would make sence since the torque curve falls off uptop.. gsr im is all for midrange...if i was you id look into either a skunk2 or Blox im...i have the blox and it made a difference before i was turbo...i cut off 2/10's in the 1/4 untunned....

I didnt want to thread jack but here is my dyno at 10psi...im sure yours would look pretty simular if you changed the intake manifold and maybe the turbo manifold..

my setup is the AFI B-series street kit...same turbo as yours...

you can see that right after 7000rpm the torque flatlines and stops making torque...hence it keeps makeing Horsepower...
Old 08-04-2008, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i was wondering how you got that meutek mani to fit a Garrett turbo, now i see you had to flip the turbo and crook the rad, you would not have had to do that with a turbonetics/precision unit (what the mani was made for) but job well done
Old 08-04-2008, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gringotegra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That is the exact thing that i began to think about...those are the 2 things that i dont have ... hahahaha..the first thing i ditched was the gsr IM...

and it would make sence since the torque curve falls off uptop.. gsr im is all for midrange...if i was you id look into either a skunk2 or Blox im...i have the blox and it made a difference before i was turbo...i cut off 2/10's in the 1/4 untunned....

I didnt want to thread jack but here is my dyno at 10psi...im sure yours would look pretty simular if you changed the intake manifold and maybe the turbo manifold..

</TD></TR></TABLE>

What turbo manifold are you using? In order to change my turbo manifold, I would need to redo all of the piping. At this point, I don't really want to do that.

Also, I am sure that the thicker headgasket could not be helping my power.

I want to upgrade parts and make more power right away, but I also think that it might be a good idea to wait for a while. The car feels really fast to me as it is (I am sure this will change quickly). Maybe this winter I will change the IM and a few other things. Do you think ITR or other cams would help a lot?

Thanks for sharing your graph. It is interesting comparing to similar set-ups.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What turbo manifold are you using? In order to change my turbo manifold, I would need to redo all of the piping. At this point, I don't really want to do that.

Also, I am sure that the thicker headgasket could not be helping my power.

I want to upgrade parts and make more power right away, but I also think that it might be a good idea to wait for a while. The car feels really fast to me as it is (I am sure this will change quickly). Maybe this winter I will change the IM and a few other things. Do you think ITR or other cams would help a lot?

Thanks for sharing your graph. It is interesting comparing to similar set-ups.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

AFI ramhorn manifold, Backdoor intercooler, same turbo as you... if you were to change the manifold the intercooler piping would most ****ly be the most simple thing to change...id be more conserned about the downpipe and wastegate...but it really couldnt be that hard of a fix honestly...your cast turbo manifold is ok right now...its that damn GSR IM hahaha...

ITR cams will deffinetly give you more power...but to really make use of them changing the intake manifold would be the more wise choice...the combo of the ITR cams and the Blox/SK2 IM would shift your whole powerband into higher RPMS...Thats what i would do...then get a retune and im sure youll be over 300whp!

what does that head gasket make the compression ratio now?

Quick Reply: Turbo GSR Idaho High School Project