Notices

Turbo GSR: Help me read these plugs

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turbo GSR: Help me read these plugs

I tuned my friend's car here are the plugs after about 40 miles of driving on the current tune.

From what I have learned about reading plugs, these look good. I've got it about 15:1 AFR cruising and it changes into the high 11's when it hits boost. Car is a piston/rod/built head (stock B16 camshafts) 8.5:1 compression GSR motor currently on 7 lb boost running 93 octane pump on what i think is a 57 trim. running about 18 deg advance at 7 lbs for now.

thanks for any feedback/input

UPDATE on newest post 8/18
Originally Posted by mikesrex
ok now I got a chance to do some more tuning on this car. we noticed the fuel pressure was doing some funny stuff (idle changed and the gauge showed pressure at 90 psi instead of 45) so we bought a rebuild kit for the AEM FPR. Now the fuel pressure is very consistent.

so I got the car tuned at 7 lb, 10 lb and then when I went to 13 lb it started cutting out. Spark plugs looked decent and the fuel was in the mid/high 11's at boost, so i figured the spark was getting blown out. I gapped the plugs down a little bit more (put them at .020" my buddy told me he had them at .025 before) and the car revved through flawlessly.

here are the low and high cam timing maps in boost

It looks like the injectors are getting close to being maxed out at 13 lbs of boost (thinking we are somewhere around 350-380 WHP on EVO 560's) and here is a pic of one of the plugs:

we wanted to put it on the dyno but figured it would be better to wait to be sure we got a decent street tune on the car to ensure any bugs are worked out before going to the dyno. I know I hate having to figure problems out on the dyno when we are paying for time.

Last edited by mikesrex; 08-18-2011 at 07:38 AM.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo GSR: Help me read these plugs

PS these are the NGK Vpower #8 resistor plugs can't remember the exact part number
Old 07-28-2011, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do a pull WOT and shut the car off at the top of it without letting the rpm drop and take pics. For the overall readings, plugs look pretty good man.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Blown90hatcH
Do a pull WOT and shut the car off at the top of it without letting the rpm drop and take pics. For the overall readings, plugs look pretty good man.
haven't done that yet but plan on it when he buys some new plugs now that I got the tune pretty close. The plan is to up the boost to around 14-15 lb on the street (assuming the car still hooks) and get the tune pretty close, then go to the dyno. Nobody in my area has an accessible dyno, so I'll have to make the drive 100 miles to Huy's shop to put the car on a dyno.

thanks for the advice and feedback
Old 07-28-2011, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Hard to tell, but I think 18 degrees a 7psi is a bit conservative. Do what was said and look for the color change on the ground strap. Should be right around the bend. Closer to the center of the plug is retard ignition, closer to base is advanced.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
Hard to tell, but I think 18 degrees a 7psi is a bit conservative. Do what was said and look for the color change on the ground strap. Should be right around the bend. Closer to the center of the plug is retard ignition, closer to base is advanced.
yeah I don't see the timing mark on the strap at all yet. On my all motor cars I usually get the timing mark right on the bend on the electrode. I'm just not sure how much timing I really want to run on pump gas. I'm scared my friend is going to get some bad gas at the pump ya know. I'm thinking it would be better to wait til I get to the dyno to play with timing as the car is already decently quick on 7 lbs with the current tune.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would not be too afraid. The compression is 8.5:1. You should have plenty of margin with that set-up.

As a side question, why such low on compression?
Old 07-28-2011, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mar778c
I would not be too afraid. The compression is 8.5:1. You should have plenty of margin with that set-up.

As a side question, why such low on compression?
that's what the guy bought when he broke a ringland on his stock (CTR OMG) pistons in the GSR motor. I put the new rods/pistons in there for him and also some headstuds and a built head.

I think he paid like 500 for BNIB JE pistons and Eagle rods, so IMO it was a pretty good deal.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You're right that is a good deal but damn that is some low compression.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Those plugs haven't seen enough heat to make any accurate readings..

how old are those plugs? If they are only a few days old this motor hasn't gotten anywhere as hot as the plugs need to get to actually make readings.

You can judge heat range by now.. thats about it. On that note.. the heat range looks fine.. actually you could get away with 7's and be fine too.

post up some pics of a few WOT pulls.. i'll be happy to chime in then! Good luck.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ALL M0T0R
Those plugs haven't seen enough heat to make any accurate readings..

how old are those plugs? If they are only a few days old this motor hasn't gotten anywhere as hot as the plugs need to get to actually make readings.

You can judge heat range by now.. thats about it. On that note.. the heat range looks fine.. actually you could get away with 7's and be fine too.

post up some pics of a few WOT pulls.. i'll be happy to chime in then! Good luck.
do you think the 7's will be good even with more boost? I think I have a set or two of 7's I could throw in and see how they look.

Sunday we are going to do some more tuning if the weather permits, so I will get more plug pics then.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im at 22degrees @ 8 psi on 89 octane 9.7 cr
Old 07-29-2011, 03:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

do you think the 7's will be good even with more boost? I think I have a set or two of 7's I could throw in and see how they look.

Sunday we are going to do some more tuning if the weather permits, so I will get more plug pics then.
You're such low compression with such little boost, i dont see any reason why 7's would be fine.. the 8's the more i look at them actually look too cold..

you can tell by the threads.. you normally want a 3-5 thread color change..i can only see 2..fuel ring looks good..but the actual motor hasn't gotten hot enough during a drive to show your timing..
Old 08-01-2011, 12:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I added another degree of timing, and ramped in another degree after 6500, and also increased the boost to 10 lbs, running 3 degress less on the map at 10 than at 7.

plugs still look the same at both 7 and 10 lbs, car got considerably faster at 7 and a lot faster at 10. I just can't see myself spending anymore time on the street tuning this car. Either we go straight to the track for more tuning or put it on a dyno to see what the power does with adding timing.

I'm still running the #8's in the car, not sure if I want to switch to 7's. What advantages would I have switching to 7's? Any disadvantages?

thanks for all the feedback guys.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I added another degree of timing, and ramped in another degree after 6500, and also increased the boost to 10 lbs, running 3 degress less on the map at 10 than at 7.

plugs still look the same at both 7 and 10 lbs, car got considerably faster at 7 and a lot faster at 10. I just can't see myself spending anymore time on the street tuning this car. Either we go straight to the track for more tuning or put it on a dyno to see what the power does with adding timing.

I'm still running the #8's in the car, not sure if I want to switch to 7's. What advantages would I have switching to 7's? Any disadvantages?

thanks for all the feedback guys.
The main difference between hot-running and cold-running plugs is the length of the insulator nose.

One gets rid of heat faster then the other..

if the nose of the plug is not hot enough, it will gradually accumulate deposits, known as fouling. This can happen if its "too cold"

When a spark plug gets too hot, the insulator may boil and bubble. On examination, it will be plain that it has been too hot. Also, the metal electrodes may melt away and disappear
Old 08-01-2011, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The main difference between hot-running and cold-running plugs is the length of the insulator nose.

One gets rid of heat faster then the other..

if the nose of the plug is not hot enough, it will gradually accumulate deposits, known as fouling. This can happen if its "too cold"

When a spark plug gets too hot, the insulator may boil and bubble. On examination, it will be plain that it has been too hot. Also, the metal electrodes may melt away and disappear
so essentially if the plugs aren't fouling out then I'm good then?
Old 08-01-2011, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so essentially if the plugs aren't fouling out then I'm good then?
yes.. there would really be no need to change anything.. I'd try a set of 7's and see what it does...if you're on the dyno, just swapping plugs and making a pull to see what the AFR does / IGN and what kind of numbers it puts down.

Cars can run fine on colder plugs.. sometimes getting rid of heat faster, isn't always a good thing.. make a WOT pull on the plugs you have now and post up a pics

Need one of the threads, ground strap and fuel ring, and the porcelin
Old 08-01-2011, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What kind of power are you trying to make with the car? You can run 7's for a pretty good amount of power. I run them in my gsr 400whp
Old 08-01-2011, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Turbo-LS
What kind of power are you trying to make with the car? You can run 7's for a pretty good amount of power. I run them in my gsr 400whp
looking to make reliable hp on 93 octane pump gas and only rev out to 8000 rpm since he's on stock sleeves.

I'm thinking 300-350 WHP for daily driving
Old 08-01-2011, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You shouldnt have a problem on 7's for that power level
Old 08-01-2011, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looking to make reliable hp on 93 octane pump gas and only rev out to 8000 rpm since he's on stock sleeves.

I'm thinking 300-350 WHP for daily driving
stock sleeves shouldn't limit his revs. Rev as high as you need too.

Plenty of people wrap b20 sleeves, h22 sleeves high, sleeves shouldn't be a limiting factor.

The only limiting factor should be rod bolts and how high its actually making power. GSR bottom ends are strong and should be treated as such.

sleeves should only be a limiting factor when the increase in stroke comes into play because then you worry about the side wall angle put on the pistons.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

stock sleeves shouldn't limit his revs. Rev as high as you need too.

Plenty of people wrap b20 sleeves, h22 sleeves high, sleeves shouldn't be a limiting factor.

The only limiting factor should be rod bolts and how high its actually making power. GSR bottom ends are strong and should be treated as such.

sleeves should only be a limiting factor when the increase in stroke comes into play because then you worry about the side wall angle put on the pistons.
bottom end is JE pistons with Eagle Rods (ARP 2000 3/8" rod bolt with the 7/16" head) so I'm thinking it will hold up fine.

here is the timing map I currently run on this motor. boost is just below 10 lb (datalogger shows around 9.8ish) right now. boost cut is at 11.5

Old 08-01-2011, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bottom end is JE pistons with Eagle Rods (ARP 2000 3/8" rod bolt with the 7/16" head) so I'm thinking it will hold up fine.

here is the timing map I currently run on this motor. boost is just below 10 lb (datalogger shows around 9.8ish) right now. boost cut is at 11.5

Cant see at work.. porsche/audi has limits on pics i can see on forums.

However rev the car as high as you need to.. There's no reason to limit that car.. at all. If i had to guess, power should start to fall off about 8400rpms..
Old 08-01-2011, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I sent you a reply back in your email.. check it.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like a pretty stout setup. Im interested to hear some more talk on reading your plugs, this is something that eludes me on how to properly do.

Quick Reply: Turbo GSR: Help me read these plugs