Notices

Turbo GSR WITH *** OBX LSD !?!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo GSR WITH *** OBX LSD !?!?

Ok guys I’ve had a few turbo setups and I always used quaife lsd just installed and went down the track never any problems....

Now here’s the case I have a customers car on a low budget build he will be making 450 - 500 whp he ordered a obx lsd for his 2000 gsr trans I did as much research on it and came up with good info from what I read the product is a hit or miss at times but about 90% of guys using them had good results I know a few guys in my area running them making a lil over 700 other in the 500 and 600 range that have them on and had no problems, according to what users have said is a direct replica of a quaife just made out in china.

Now here’s my question a few guys said they took there’s apart to check the bevelled washers make sure the are installed correct? Check edges for Sharpe metals and to torque the Allen bolts? I’m not sure if I should go and open one of this up never been inside one. is it worth opening and cleaning things and changing washers or should I just check the bolts for the correct torque specs and then install in trans lmk im a bit stuck on this one??? Thanks
Old 08-13-2009, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo GSR WITH *** OBX LSD !?!?

all the people that is using them for years.. did open them up.. the obx is shitty if you don't open them up and put the new washers in and torque down the bolts.. they are worth using if you put the work into them.. that is all to it...
Old 08-14-2009, 01:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My s366 DC has gsr trans with a obx lsd. It was field stripped, washers and bolts replaced.

I'm building another trans with an mfactory.. At the time I bought the obx, mfactory hadn't released an affordable, quality lsd yet.

I have another trans at my shop that has been broken and repaired 8 times never an issue out of the obx lsd, and it was not field stripped. The gear sets and case took way to much damage this 9th time around but we are going to salvage the lsd and install it in another trans.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a obx lsd which i love. i never feild stripped it or any thing just installed it. My car hooks well off the line on street tire or slicks. i have around 300hp . only problem i ever had was a axle got stuck.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OBX installed here. My cousin and I field stripped it and put it back together way back when. I think it has about 20,000 miles on it roughly at power levels between 350 and 500. Plan to use it in my new setup and make 750ishwhp.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

recommend upgrading washers and bolts, due to the bolts stretching causing the washers to get f*cked up. we had an obx in a 6**hp/4**torque motor and the bolts stretched and washers were mangled....we recently ordered a obx b16 lsd and the diff was too tall causing the trans case not being able to close.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I run quiffe personally but a buddy has a 689whp GSR and he swears by his OBX LSD and it was not field stripped just ordered and put in upon arrival. Much like yourself he researched and found common statements of they are hit or miss products...
Old 08-15-2009, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SFWD Integra over 700whp 10sec passes with obx lsd and we just through it in no field strip. Have ran for over 2 seasons and hours of dyno pulls never had a problem.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my buddy has a sohc turbo making 488 and he has an obx lsd and has never had a problem with it!
Old 08-15-2009, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

he also has over 60 passes launching on 24.5 slicks...and its fine
Old 08-15-2009, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ive never had any problem with mine at 425hp and like 30 passes.

the trannys previous 2 owners both went 10s and 500+ hp on it with no issues as well
Old 08-16-2009, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow!!! so this product is deff a bang for a buck sounds like most of you guys had good luck with them... now my next q? may sound like a noobi but i never been inside one b4 how do i "Field strip or what u guys mean by it" and where can i locate the proper washers? i cant find a write up on it
Old 08-16-2009, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Someone did a pretty good write-up a while back before the "IB-changeover"...
Old 08-16-2009, 11:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

rbryant is the guy that sells the field strip kits.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^thats the guy,with the bolts and washers. the diff handled fine on 24.5 slicks many, many passes, but we recently upgraded to 26's and thats when **** happened....
Old 08-17-2009, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok ill try to get a hold of this guy the part is coming fri i got to get moving anywhere i can order online?
Old 08-17-2009, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://rbryant.freeshell.org/obx_washers here you go
Old 08-17-2009, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've stripped down several of these and I've yet to see one that was assembled properly. Either the washers were arranged wrong, there were a wrong number of washers, there was hair inside, one or more allen bolts was stripped, runout was excessive or they were dirty as hell.

They're cake to strip down, don't be a fool and not do it. Arrange the washers like )()()( . With that shape they'll somewhat self seat and use a drill bit to keep then inline until the unit is tightened back together. You can get bellville replacement washers from mcmastercarr.com if you need them.

EDIT: Hey check that link out! NICE!
Old 08-17-2009, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

very good tread
Old 08-19-2009, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok guys i have three nights reseraching all the info i can find..... i orderd washers and bolts from rybrant........ when the unit comes in im going to tear it down and do a lil extra sanding and cleaning then install the new washers ill let you guys know how it comes out thaaanks!!

o yea anyone know if at a loco parts store or sears or w/e i can get a puller, the ISB bearing got destroyed so i cant tap it out the back with a 5/8 socket and extn like i normally do there is nothong in the center of it besides the bearing *****. i seen a puller snap on sells......... but this is a one time deal ill use it and prob return it, i dont do trannys much but when i do they are not in this bad of shape so there for i dont want to spend 130 bucks with snap on and i cant return it to him anyways.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is the field stripping link: It's kinda old so pics don't pop up.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...ield+strip+lsd
Old 08-21-2009, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

update**** for some that may be using this product I got it in and took it apart to my surprise everything inside was machine properly no left over metal flakes all the gears where very clean and installed properly, to my surprise the 6 washers where also installed correct )()()( for maximum preload so the unit doesn’t make noise or slip up in hard acceleration basically all I did was spray with break cleaner to insure that there was nothing there and installed the new washers from rich Bryant.......... there’s no need to sand and grind something that is already done right. my guess to all this is, most
the articles about the product failing by having strip bolts, wrong washer install, poor machining and a few other thing where posted between 2003 - 2006 maybe obx caught on to there mistakes and are making the product right now?? Ill be putting the Trans in late tonight I'll test drive it on Sunday and keep you guys updated.

Last edited by LILRED_TURBO; 08-23-2009 at 05:06 AM.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well. that is about the best OBX LSD review i have ever see...so far. Hopefully it will stay together.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

My roomate has one in his 400whp LS setup and its been holding fine. I believe it was field stripped.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

where did you purchase the lsd?

Originally Posted by LILRED_TURBO
ok ill try to get a hold of this guy the part is coming fri i got to get moving anywhere i can order online?

Quick Reply: Turbo GSR WITH *** OBX LSD !?!?