Notices

turbo exhaust annoying- input please!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo exhaust annoying- input please!

ok guys i ran an open down pipe for a little bit and it was getting old(sure it was fun a first) the damn thing sounded like a bike at 9k!
anyways i decided to build my own exhaust.. 3.5" so i gathered all the pieces, and this weekend i decided to weld it all up and see how it sounds. its horrible! im not happy at all.
heres what ive got. maybe you guys can point me in the right direction (ive never attempted to make a turbo honda quiet...)

starting up front..
top mount t3 with 3" down pipe with a 3" flex pipe to a 3.5" pipe Vband clamped to "catback"
open tial wastegate(i think this is a issue with being loud)
and from dp back is all straight 3.5"
nice thick piping with all mandrel bends. nice clean welds and all connections.
ending with a 3.5" turndown right before the rear control arm.

in the low rmp the car sounds ok. its quietER than it was but not near what i thought it would be (i know the turbo muffles out alot)
but in vtec the damn think sounds like an all motor car with a buddy club exhaust, its very raspy and sounds just gross. so im needing some input to get this thing quiet. im not to familiar with mufflers on turboed hondas so i was wanting some input on which ones were more quiet or the pros cons of any out there. i know it will help the car being quieter under boost if i tapped the wg dump into the exhaust but under boost im not to worried about it being so loud, i just want the raspy to go away. besides i dont even boost till 5k so its not an issue really. just looking for a cleaner sound! any input would be greatly appreciated guys! i threw up some pics to give you and idea of where im at, at this point... thanks ht.
Attached Images     
Old 06-17-2012, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo exhaust annoying- input please!

If your were 3" I know vibrant makes a resonator and turbo muffler. Not sure in 3.5". That would help out alot. Your pretty much just straight piping with nothing to actually help noise. And yes its always gonna be loud with open dumps under full boost. You could recirculate into downpipe but it usually results in less power
Old 06-17-2012, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a exhaust like that on my wife's sohct but it was 3in all the way back. That thing was annoying loud! It was louder than my car 4in uppipe out the hood.. I ended up putting a 3in muffler on it . It sounds way nicer not raspy at all.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks guys, yea ive looking for a muffler but everything i keep running into thats 3.5 is like a full on race muffler which im nervous to buy because race mufflers usually dont help with noise much haha... anyone else with 3.5"?
maybe i shouldnt have tried to be different with the 3.5 i keep finding all kinds in 3"
Old 06-17-2012, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Google vibrant 3.5 resonator and vibrant 3.5 muffler. Put the resonator in the midpipe and muffler at the end and you'll be much happier
Old 06-17-2012, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

somethin like this might work? what u guys think

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCHOENFELD-R...ht_1568wt_1037
Old 06-17-2012, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok ill check on that stuff. thanks
Old 06-17-2012, 08:38 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

That $25 garbage isn't going to do much... you obviously need to run piping on your wastegate or even recirulate it. When the wastegate opens you are "open header"; think about it. The only way to get rid of rasp is with real mufflers and true resonators. Not "Vibrants" sorry excuse for one...
Old 06-17-2012, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Resonator ftw. And B series are naturally quite raspy. Magnaflow resonators are pretty damn boss.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by N3va3vaSatisfi3d
That $25 garbage isn't going to do much... you obviously need to run piping on your wastegate or even recirulate it. When the wastegate opens you are "open header"; think about it. The only way to get rid of rasp is with real mufflers and true resonators. Not "Vibrants" sorry excuse for one...
Bad expierance with them?
Old 06-17-2012, 09:17 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Assuming you are talking about "Vibrant" - Not at all, I run their muffler and resonator on my Turbo vehicle. They are built exactly like a "glasspack" and not a true resonator.

VS.

...or a different design -

Old 06-18-2012, 04:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 96teggylsse
starting up front..
top mount t3 with 3" down pipe with a 3" flex pipe to a 3.5" pipe Vband clamped to "catback"
open tial wastegate(i think this is a issue with being loud)
and from dp back is all straight 3.5"
nice thick piping with all mandrel bends. nice clean welds and all connections.
ending with a 3.5" turndown right before the rear control arm.

in the low rmp the car sounds ok. its quietER than it was but not near what i thought it would be (i know the turbo muffles out alot)
but in vtec the damn think sounds like an all motor car with a buddy club exhaust, its very raspy and sounds just gross.
Your thoughts on the open dump are correct. Since the wastegate is probably open once you hit vtec, and is not muffled by the turbo, that's going to be where all that top end noise is coming from.

There are two ways you can address this: some people just get a small diameter muffler or resonator for the dump tube, but my preferred way to quiet it down is to reroute the wategate dump into the downpipe. Here's an example: https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/dump-tube-flex-tube-3030176/

For my setup I need to be able to drive down residential streets late at night without pissing people off (DD). So i have a muffler and resonator installed post-turbo.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:08 AM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use Magnaflow res/muffler on a 3" and mine is pretty quiet when cruising.

When you put your foot in it, it sounds like a performance car should. Not raspy and nice growl.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-18-2012, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I installed a recirculated dump and a catalytic converter back onto my teg. It has a 3" thermal R&d exhaust. Sounds excellent now but I am thinking about changing the muffler anyways. The thing is like 14 years old and I know the fiber is probably done.

I cannot stand the buzz and refuse to have it.